1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Help me identify this movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Journeyer, 7 Sep 2011.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Many years ago - way back in the VHS days - I watched this movie that I quite enjoyed at the time. I'm sure however, that it would not stand up to scrutiny today, but for some reason it popped into my head and I can't shake it, nor can I remember the title. So, I will describe some of the plot in the hope that the vast repository of collective geeky knowledge present on these boards might help a fellow out.

The movie is set in some non-descript post-apocalyptic future, and the action centers around a group of contestants in a certain game/sport which is all the rage in those days. The sport is, as such things often are, very violent. I seem to remember that the main objective of the sport is to grab a goat's skull and place it on a pole in the opponent's half of the field.

That's about all I can remember, and now I hope you can help me. I intend to watch the movie again and see what my teenage self was into in the way of videographic entertainment. ;)

Unicorn likes this.
  2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Salute of the Jugger with Rutger Hauer.

One of my favorites.

The skull was a dog skull and it was down to the 'quick' to get it to the opposite end of the field and put it on a stick with the opposing team, comprising of a guy with a flail and 4 (i think) others with hooked poles, trying to stop them.

The team hooked up with Joan Chen's character as they needed a new quick and then headed off to the city to join the league.

Unicorn and Journeyer like this.
  3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

One post... it took ONE post.

Bit-tech is freaking awesome, you know that?! :D

+rep to you both for the movie suggestion and the help!

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Bit-tech is pure industrial grade awesomeness! :D

I wonder if the movie is remastered for blu-ray...

Edit: No (it was a long-shot after all), but apparently there is an unrated version out on DVD...

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
    xMathiasD likes this.
  6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

They just don't make them like they used to....

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ahh split second, that film haunted me as a kid, now its just awesome

8. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

lets see if you can get another 1, might as well post here than start a new thread.

saw a film as a kid and enjoyed it , but never wrote what the film was called and i can only remember 1 part of thr film from it. you will have to excuse my poor descriptions but i will do the best i can.

there are severel jim henson style ewoks trying to cross between 2 ledges and the only way to do that is by climbing across a spiders web, 1 falls to its death and the spider tries to get another but an elder type of theses ewok things holds a staff out to hypnotise the spider while the ewok escapes and before the elder releases it from its hypnotised dtate they cut the web, when released from its trance it falls to its death as they finish cutting the web.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Sounds familiar. Not sure if I have actually seen it, or if I am just confusing it with Dark Crystal.

t4n6o likes this.
  10. t4n6o

thats what i thought but i got that on dvd and that isnt on there

+rep for the effort fizzban

11. Fizzban

Ah bummer. There is a similar sort of scene in Krull, but that is not what you are after either. :(

Ta for rep ;)

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

13. t4n6o

they look like ewoks but they arn't they have a jim henson feel to them if i can remember

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

labyrinth?

t4n6o likes this.
  15. t4n6o

no affraid not bought that when i saw it in the shop and that scene not in it

+rep for effort

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This could be a truly awesome thread to complement the "What Movie are you watching now?" thread, so I would suggest changing the title to something along the lines of "What movie is this?" or "the BT help identify movies thread"

@ t4n6o, the scene with the spider and the ewoks crossing the cliffs is from Ewok Adventure, so lysol was right :D

I have a request of my own which should be straightforward:

Lots of people, I think random strangers, are in some sort of haunted mansion and characters are dying off one by one. From memory it's definitely got comedy horror overtones, but it seems to be a whodoneit type of thing... at the end, the boy and girl (presumably main characters) escape from the mansion. Any ideas? TIA :thumb:

17. Fizzban

House on Haunted Hill

LennyRhys likes this.
  18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

These threads pop up from time to time, I remember asking a similar question at some point in the past. Making it into a "full time" thread couldn't hurt :)

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Close, but no cigar - this is serious horror, and the film I remember is not in the least bit serious ;) +rep for trying

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The Thirteenth Ghost?