1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i7-7800X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Sep 2017.

1. TEAMSWITCHER

TEAMSWITCHER What's a Dremel?

I'm just amazed at the number of people that don't see the value of these CPU's. ASUS X299 motherboards, like the X99, and X79 motherboards that before offer tons of great features, worth the extra $100 dollars. Not everyone needs 10 cores, but adding a couple extra cores for a few dollars is smart decision. Add to that you get the extra single threaded performance of Intel's architectures. Fact is... Coffee Lake isn't available yet. If something happened to my 5930K machine tomorrow, I'd probably order an X299 motherboard and this CPU the very next day.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What do you actually use your PC for??

Value? What value exactly? They're a mere few percent faster than AMD and are only faster due to being able to clock higher. It's the early 5960X days for AMD which means that when Zen 2 hits next year, it'll compete with Intel in frequency as well as IPC.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Zen+ (Q2/3 guess), potentially on 12nm. Zen2 in (Q2/3 guess) 2019 on 7nm.
    I'd still buy an 8700K over 7800K. Higher clocks, lower latency. But I'm waiting for 128G Optane SSD to drop really.

4. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I thought exactly the same thing - For a moment I got quite excited and was off to order one before realising it's the 6950X I want. Why the hell don't Intel flog these off?

This new range whilst I think is good, isn't vastly superior to the AMD range and costs quite a bit more. If I had to rebuild I don't think I would justify the extra cost for Intel, not just for a bit of single thread preformance - especially as the motherboard is only good for this generation.

Neither though make me want to upgrade from my 5960X, the only upgrade I am considering is a 6950X as it will fit into my existing board. If I can't get one at a reasonable price, then I will stay as I am until it / motherboard dies.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Zen+ should be arriving in early 2018, I'd speculate around March/April time. You can bet your sweet bottom dollar that I am going to pre-order one and make sure I have it on day one. Maybe I'll be able to get it before day one due to the nature of my work... hmm!! :D

I'm with Chris on this one. It isn't vastly superior to AMD but it costs a lot more for the extra performance, and the fact that you'll need a new motherboard next year when they release LGA 2067 (I've no idea, I made that up!) and add an extra pin here or there. Oh, for those of you that don't know, LGA 2066 is the original 2011 socket, but with all pins enabled rather than losing 55 of them. So, again, "new" socket/chipset for the same thing. Slow clap to you, Intel.

You won't find a 6950X for a good price just yet. Even the 5960X's are claiming north of what an 1800X will get you for your money. It's all down to overclocking. I'll say it, just wait for the next-gen of Ryzen chips. Intel will be sore. No, that's not the inner newly found AMD fanboi in me talking, it's just how it is. Yes, I'm super glad that I moved to AMD and couldn't be more pleased with the performance for the money, but that's not the point I am trying to get across here.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Maybe by the time Socket 2067 launches they will offer single core cpus for it.:grin:

(cheap joke based on the hopefully false rumour of a dual core for 2066)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GloFo just announced 12nm so AMD could shift its CPUs to this, although it won't be ready until ~Q2/3. More like it'll use it for next gen GPUs though to keep up with Nvidia moving to 12nm with Volta in Q1 with TSMC. As Intel just delayed its 10nm to Q418 earliest and another iteration of 14nm in Q3, AMD has the time.

Tags: Add Tags