1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 3 Origin edition detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I used to detest digital distro. Now I dont mind it, they keep track of all the games I have and reinstalling is easier - yes discs were faster, but I cant find my games half the time (and needing the disc in the drive to play, plain annoying). Origin is flawed because its new, now as long as EA dosnt change or discontinue it (the fear of any digital distro service).

I am just starting ME1 and bought ME2 on the steam sale, so when I get around to ME3 anyway it'll be cheap. If anything whats annoying is that I have ME1 on Origin and ME2 on steam... hopefully the saves or whatever dont get messed up because of that. :/

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Well it won't be cheap on Origin, have you seen all their prices? All those defending Origin need to wake up.

3. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

55 quid and not a single thing to hold in yer hand! na think i'll pass.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

the only plus is the N7 Arsenal Pack...the rest...meh
    :thumb:Yup, that should work

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Are you expecting Activision\Blizzard, Ubisoft, Take Two to start selling on Origin?
    "Buy MW3 on Origin" :eyebrow:

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Limited edition digital comic!

Didn't know we could run out of 1s and 0s...

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think half the problem with these services isn't that people have undying devotion to Steam/Valve but more distrust EA, lets fact it we've been burned by them before. Origin looks like a "me too" service ten years late.

I could live with more distribution platforms but i'd like there to be some actual competition and some actual innovation if these other platforms want my attention over the incumbent. Think why google is still the worlds number one search engine and why some Bing users only ever use it search for google....

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I want it, I can afford it, I'm going to have it.

9. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Not impossible. They are all happy (or at least willing) to sell on Steam and Valve is just as much a competitor as EA (at least in terms of online publication). If it makes commercial sense for them to sell on Origin as a route to more sales, then they will do it, although I don't doubt they are all also working on their own 'Steam-alikes'.

There will be period of fracturing, I'm sure, but in the end it will collapse back down to a few online retailers as the weaker platforms wither -- and unless EA et al get away from the 'exclusive tat' mindset, I bet it will be Steam that is still leading the survivors.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Valve really isnt that much of a competitor against any of them. There are very few games. Mostly all in the same universe. The others, TF, CS, and the upcoming DOTA2, are nothing like what the others offer. Valve makes ultra high quality games that stand out from the rest because they are vastly polished and different.

11. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Laugh all you want, but that's precisely why I'm hoarding all these 2s and 3s.

12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'll just get the boxed copy but if the price was right I wouldn't be averse to using Origin.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

A full collection of in-game content that can’t be found anywhere else!

They mean anywhere else, apart from the torrent that will get made?

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I guess people forgot how hated steam was when it first came out ahead of half life 2 http://www.runegame.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=25690 go back and read up. I recall too hating steam thinking it was unecessary, unstable and just a form of greed to have the then novel 24/7 online activation type copy protection scheme.

now we've all grown to love steam as a pretty useful sales platform and I think digital distribution is more convenient as I never have to worry about a huge stack of games.

Tags: Add Tags