News Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 3 Feb 2004.

1. HollywoodBob

HollywoodBob What's a Dremel?

Memory cards are nice when they don't cost 25$ and come with the console. The worst thing in the world is to buy a new system and not realize that you need a memory card and having to go back to the store and spend more money just to save the game you've been playing for the last 4 hours.

Hard drives are nice to have. Frankly since the price of drives have gotten so low an 8GB drive can't be costing MS more then about 3$ to put one in each Xbox. I just bought an 80 Gig for 65$ so if they're using the price to negate it's presence they're full of crap.

-HollywoodBob

2. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

to me the whole reson for me to get the xbox is the harddrive and put linux on it and use it as a file player they dont really have a chance if it doesnt have a hard disk drive

on the other hand i read at the begining that using a usb hardrive
    witch brings up a question for us ps2 owners with the dvd rom drive it would be so awsome if sony put out a usb dvd drive deal just put the drivers on a memery card (i dont know how sony could do it but im shure its possible) i like many other people that own ps2 own a paper waight till they come out with a usb solution

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

having just been playing the likes of shinobi, super mario kart, and sensi soccer all weekend on my xbox it occurs to me that my xbox is very backwards compatible ;)

4. HollywoodBob

HollywoodBob What's a Dremel?

That's like saying "I'm gonna go by a pickup truck to use as a boat."

I think it's dumb to ruin a console to run linux on it. Obviously Microsoft does too.

Look in the news paper you can find plenty of crap computers to put linux on, go buy one of them.

-HollywoodBob

5. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

No it isn't.

The xbox is a very small, very quiet and reasonably specified p.c. that makes for a very good server.

Having linux on it does not efffect its game playing potential in any way, e.g. its still a fully functional console with the added bonus of being able to browse the internet and acting as a server...

So essentially what you said was a load of poop ;)

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i know what your thinking and yes it will be a good gaming console it will just do more than a stock console will do see while your playing games on you xbox i can play games and do any thing(i dont have an xbox yet but my close freind dose he is always at my house with it)

you:i just got done beating unreal tounoment 2004 (example) and i watched a couple dvds im board

me:i beat the gaMe and watched dvds logged on to my server listen to music on mmy computers harddrive while checking my email ect.ect. oh all my games are loaded to my xboxes harddrive so i didn't even have to get up
    im tired im going to bed

just an example
    all im saying is xbox is just to much of a machine just to use it to game console

7. Dragon

Dragon What's a Dremel?

I dont understand what the problem is with making it backward compatible.

Sure its totally different inside, but a system as powerful as that could emulate anything surely?

BTW I hate the idea of no hard drive, and to counter what someone said earlier, I dont think the only people who use the HD are those who put larger ones in. I use my xbox as a jukebox, just with the standard software. And the thought of not being able to download new levels and content is awful.

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From CNet:

Flash memory maker M-Systems announced on Wednesday that it has signed a contract to provide storage products for future versions of the Xbox, bolstering speculation that Microsoft may ditch the game console's hard drive.

M-Systems, best known for its DiskOnKey line of flash drives, which attach to a PC's Universal Serial Bus port, said in a statement that it has signed an agreement with Microsoft to develop "customized memory units for future Xbox products and services."

Ronit Maor, chief financial officer at Israel-based M-Systems, said the company could not discuss details of the contract. But Maor said the devices under development would be of significantly higher capacity than the 8MB Xbox memory units Microsoft currently sells to save game and user data. "What we're going to offer for the Xbox doesn't currently exist," Maor said.

The M-Systems announcement comes shortly after Microsoft revealed plans for expanding Xbox Live, the online game service it runs, to include limited online storage capabilities. The combination has bolstered speculation that Microsoft will drop the hard drive from the next version of the Xbox to cut production costs for the money-losing console.

Rest of article here

This can be seen as another sign that Microsoft may be ditching the hard drive...

Tags: Add Tags