1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noritake GU126x32F-K612A4 graphic VFD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 19 Jul 2002.

1. Stuart

Stuart What's a Dremel?

Thanks Cheese
    But I still have the problem can you suggest anything else?

2. griff

griff What's a Dremel?

Cheese

I am trying to find that command set in the lcdc help file and can't. Can you point me in the right direction

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

From the 'read me' file in the lcdc files zip...

How it works.
    -------------

In this section I'm going to explain the function of the codes I've used in LCDC. This bit isn't simple and unless you want to use LCDC to make some custom graphic screens you can ignore it ;) Hold on tight...

[##x] - sends character with the decimal vale xxx to the display. For example [##65] would send an 'A' to the display as 'A' is the 65th character in the ASCII character set.

[##16][##x][##y] - Sets the cursor (x,y) position in the display. Using the normal 5x7 font {see [##29] for changing to this font} (0,7) is the first character on the top line. So to make LCDC print 21x4 characters on a screen in the normal font line one must be started with [##16][##0][##7], two [##16][##0][##15], three [##16][##0][##23] and four [##16][##0][##31] to start the cursor in the correct place for the four lines. You can see this done in the 'simple example' file (www.bit-tech.net - reviews - modding - noritake graphic vfd - page 2).

[##17][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - draws a white rectangle from coordinates (left, top) to (right, bottom) {where the top left of the screen is (0,0) and bottom right (125,31)}.

[##18][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that the rectangle is black.

[##19][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it inverts the area in the rectangle.

[##20][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it just draw the outline of the rectangle.

[##21][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it draws a black outline of the rectangle.

[##22] - makes pixel at current cursor white.

[##23] - makes pixel at current cursor black.

[##24],[#delay10],[##length],[#delay1],[##data1],[#delay1],[##data2],... (as seen in the event section of screen builder) - here the commas are in place to separate commandsinthe event builder, the character is not sent to the display. This writes 'length' graphic byte to the display. [#delayxx] delays sendingany more information to the display for xx milli seconds. [##26][##0] before drawing makes the display draw the graphic bytes horizontally, [##26][##128] before drawing makes the display draw the graphic bytes vertically. See the display's manual for examples.

[##25] - resets the display.

[##26][##0] or [##26][##1] or [##26][##2] or [##26][##3] - when writing text this sets how the text is introduced to the screen. [##0] overwrites anything previously in the write area, [##1] AND's the new text with the old (only pixels which were previously white and are white in the new line of text stay white), [##2] OR's the new text with the old (displays all old white pixels and all new) and [##3] XOR's the new text with the old (as OR but where the AND write mode would leave a white pixel XOR leaves a black). A good example of using these write modes together is writing text with an outline. Draw the text you want outlined 9 times with OR mode on; at (x-1,y-1), (x-1,y), (x-1,y+1), (x,y-1), (x,y), (x,y+1), (x+1,y-1), (x+1,y), (x+1,y+1) then set the write mode to XOR and write the text at (x,y).

[##27][##248] to [##27][##255] - sets the brightness of the display from OFF {248} to max {255}.

[##200] - Neither command nor character 200 exist in the command set of this display. Sending character 200 makes the display wait 50us and print nothing on the screen. This is used after drawing rectangles (to give the display time to finish drawing before the next command) and at the end of lines in the screen builder to stop LCDC's sending spaces to the display.

Where I talk about pixels 'being turned white' read 'being turned on' really, and 'black' off.

****** PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE ANY OF THESE FILES WITHOUT GIVING CREDIT TO ME AND WWW.BiT-Tech.NET ******

Cheese.

4. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

From 1.05.36 onwards you can make the commands shorter by putting all the numbers in square brackets. E.g. [##123][##124][##125] can become [##123,124,125]

5. tss

tss What's a Dremel?

Definition file out of date...

Hmm, and that should get rid of the message at startup? Strange, because I have the right def but I still get the message. It may have something to do with the fact that I have an old version of LCDC installed as well or perhaps some unclean uninstall of an older version? I even had a look in the registry but nothing about version is stored in clear text... Any help anyone?

6. Mat-d-Rat

As long as you have the latest LCDC (not 1.05.27) and the latest signed def file (will have a checksum in the top of the file) then it should work fine and with no message.

7. tss

tss What's a Dremel?

Well it doesn't work. I'm running (registered version) of 1.05.26 with the NoritakeA4.lcdc-df def file having Checksum=00021409770B011F0C0C but it still gives me the message.

Could my installation of LCDC 1.03.23 have something to do with it? It's installed in a separate directory called LCDC_1.03.23 in Program Files.

How is the check performed (or is that classified)?

8. Mat-d-Rat

I got my knickers in a twist - updated one posted on the LCDC site and sent to Rob BTW Definition file out of date is only becase the def file has "1.1" in the verison, this should cause no other issues other than that message.

9. tss

tss What's a Dremel?

That's something English right :confused: Does it mean you/Rob made a boo-boo? :eeek:

Can you make a new def for 1.05.27 with the correct version then?

10. Mat-d-Rat

Yes I made a boo boo, yes I've already posted it on the LCDC download page, and yes I e-mailed it to Rob.

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Short of not testing to see if the file worked with the latest version of LCDC I didn't make any boo-boo's, I keep well away from mat's knickers too ;)

Rob.

12. tss

tss What's a Dremel?

I downloaded, reloaded the download page, downloaded again, tried another web-browser to download but, alas, I only get the old def file with version 1.1. The correct version should be 1.2 right?

Sorry for being so troublesome... I'm actually very happy with LCDC and my display, as you should be able to tell on how small my issues are :)

13. Mat-d-Rat

Sorry - I uploaded the wrong one :(

14. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

15. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

lost

first of all wow top site (you lot deserve medals) :clap: :thumb: . hi all my name is scott , i found this site on recommendation of noritec . i was told to post and i will get good help... so here we go.
    i have a vfd 800 it came with the six pin plug that connects to a 9 pin d plug on the pc and a molex .any how i plugged it in the heater glowed .. installed liquid did what it said to do and .............nothing not a sausage :waah: . looking over this huge post i am more confused that when i began . :confused:

do you recommend i use lcdc or loquidmp3 (i have used liquid but it did not work) . all i want it to do is display tracks , motherboard info , game stats ,spectrum analiser would be cool . but what would you recommend .

thanks
    scott

p.s i donot have a clue about code or programming so please go easy with me :jawdrop: :thumb:

16. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Welcome to the boards, enjoy your stay :D

Now to your question, the 800 series is dealt with quite conprehensively here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23543&perpage=20 - I think there was once both a technical and a non-technical thread and that they've been merged now (so don't be put off by the title).

Basically serial control of the 800 isn't the way to go, you need more bandwidth really. Wiring the display up to your parallel port and using something like liquidmp3 seems to be the best thing to do... I'm sure you'll find a link to a wiring guide in that thread, I think at least one person wrote a proper guide, google should help if that thread doesn't :)

Rob.

17. haggisathome

so you think i should dich the 6 pin connection and use the 16 pin one ? . i was told by noritake not to do that , this is were i am getting lost as to what will be best :sigh: , i think i am correct in saying that the connection at the moment is serial (with the 9pin d plug) i really dont mind what connection i use aslong as it works. looking at all posts ,it starts to get a bit too indepth . as for lcdc i dont mind paying for it , as i think liquidmp3 needs more development for idiots like me and lcdc seems to be used more by any one . is there any chance that any one can do a wright up on (in easy idiot style) using and confiureing the lcdc program . sorry if i am asking too much for a noob but this vfd is now part of a big project for me in my new pc (inspired by a tower you revewed) that will hopefully be moded to hell and back :lol: , well any how i got to go to work , thanks for reading this .

scott :D

18. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Hi mate,

You need to post your message in the other forum where cheese pointed you to.

19. tss

tss What's a Dremel?

haggisathome:
    You need to understand that different Noritake displays are very different. Some use serial, some paralell and software support varies immensly.

Carefully check the model number of the display you have and compare to the thread title to look for a match here at bittech.

If you fail in this you may spend WAY to much time reading about things that won't even work for your display.

For instance, LCDC does not support the 800 series and looks like it won't ever (or an almost as long time for you) support it. In fact LCDC only supports 2 Noritake displays and you can see which ones in the downloads section on the LCDC site.

20. haggisathome

thank you you have just hit the nail on the head , so it looks as if i am stuck with liquidmp3 thanks for your time all ..

scott

Tags: Add Tags