1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 May 2012.

1. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

Thanks for updating.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for updating. I liked that there was an aside to the budget gamer desktop that users can build a Llano setup for gaming. When you guys get around to testing Trinity, please include at least one GTA/EFLC benchmark? I have a lot of games that I bought on sale/clearance but haven't installed because of DRM. GTA IV/EFLC is pretty much the only thing I play. Sorry about some of the whiners picking apart the article, but I guess it can't be helped.

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Add 400 watts to any of their suggestions as far as PSUs go, otherwise fine.

3. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Nothing wrong with that Asus Xonar DX but to call it 'infinitely better' is a bit over the top IMHO, I means modern on-board sound has pretty decent specs and the word infinitely is wildly out of place really.

And when you couple that with 80%+ of the people not even being able to even tell if a song is in mono or stereo let alone all the small differences between on-board and dedicated sound then it becomes even more silly I think.

4. S4M1CK

S4M1CK What's a Dremel?

So glad that this is back guys, thank you! Just wondering, is it going to be regular again? I would like to put in my order for a summer PC soon and want to know if you'll be releasing a new buyers guide shortly, in which case I will wait.
    Thanks again!

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Why? The suggested specs are amply supplied by the suggested PSUs. And given these builds are made to hit a budget, I'd take a high quality lower rated PSU over an equivalently priced higher rated PSU of inferior quality.

6. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

I have some big issues with my build. People on other help forums suggested that the writers at bit-tech reply. My bit-tech forums thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3089070

According to the single post below from a technician from one of the seven threads I've had to start, they would "start from the beginning all over again. You're proving that this setup doesn't work so for, thus bit-tech recommendation is NOT working well.

"PSUs(750W) also have the "split rail" design intended to spread the load around. if any device exceeds one rail, it overloads it, even though the total of power is capable, its that power leg that got zapped. Again, I mentioned, spread the load, by plugging from various connections and/or. The video card uses 195W at peak and recommends you use at least 500W. I'm sure you're old 450W is single rail design and is pushing its limits but all you did was power it up. If you it going, I'm sure later it would falter. The 750W has 4-rails of 12v/40W(from specs) and based on that alone may not be a good match. I suggest you get all the specs of all devices/components and then add it all up and compare to see what you really need. At this stage of the game and what you intend to do, you're in the more demanding mode of power levels just to get things going and sustained use isn't going to help due to heat stress."

The technician did try spreading out the load connected to the graphics card, but it didn't make a difference.

Single Post: http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7591_102-5325627.html?tag=posts;msg5325627

Full thread: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7591_102-566060/two-faulty-psu-s-gfx-issues/

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi DarkIce. Just letting you know I've sent you a personal message on the forum about this.

8. Perses

Perses What's a Dremel?

Heartily approve of the May update even if a little overdue. But er, guys, it's July ? hint hint...

9. Odothedodo

Odothedodo What's a Dremel?

Will the guide be bimonthly or what?

10. rej696_RS

rej696_RS What's a Dremel?

On the Enthusiast Overclocker build, if you wanted to use the micro-ATX case instead, What PSU would you reccomend? Thanks.

11. mo_f

mo_f What's a Dremel?

Is this going to be updated soon?

12. Odothedodo

Odothedodo What's a Dremel?

Next year it seems :)

13. Flip

Flip What's a Dremel?

knock knock....anyone in.

Tags: Add Tags