1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC vs Console Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IccleD, 18 Dec 2007.

1. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I'm at my wits end with a colleague in my work place, who insists that PC aren't made for gaming and they are no competition for consoles. In particular his Xbox 360, which will "destroy" anything ANY PC is able to produce.

Could some one direct me to something I can tell him to look at on t'internet?

I mean, I know that for £300 Xbox vs PC Graphics, Xbox Wins, but surely the PC has the upperhand?

Does anyone know a CPU, GPU comparsion as well?

IE

Xbox CPU = Intel Q6600 or something?

Gee this blokes driving me nuts!! :eyebrow:

Thanks

PS, If I've missed this topic elsewhere, I'm very sorry!

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I totally agree with Pie_uk.

PC hardware is way over console hardware, and that surely has a 'why': Nobody would buy a gaming console for like $2000 and next week it's crap (as there's no way to upgrade).

The Xbox 360 uses a tri-core Xenon on 3.2 GHz as a CPU according to Wikipedia.

I really hope this isn't going to be one of those "Consoles VS Computers" threads. Mods: please close this thread if anything seems to be like that...

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Hmm, lets see: a 360 has an IBM PowerPC-based CPU with 3 cores at 3.2GHz and 1MB L2 cache, and ATI X1900 equivalent graphics card. Decent enough for the price, but like cars, there is no limit to which one can spend on a PC. Just spec out a QX9650 and 3 8800 ultras in SLI - easily enough to own the 360. I'm sure if you get performance figures (readily available on the net), you can prove your point.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

a simple, yet good, example would be to look at pricing, for a gamer, 15 games per year is not much, a normal console's lifetime would be about 2.5 years. so xbox 360 and 38 games would cost about 300+40*38 = 1820 GBP. (without the 32inch TV)
    now look at PC, a good gaming rig like my 3 month old baby costed 1,000 GBP, including monitor. taking the same game for example: CoD4, which is 25*38 + 1000 = 1950 GBP. if you exclide the monitor, it'd be 1750 GBP. don't forget each game lasts longer on PC with mods also, indie games.
    as you can see, PC gaming is both cheaper and provides more stuff to play with, im still playing TES Oblivion!

on the other hand, if you are talking about graphics, just let him look at one single game: Crysis. no console, not even PS3 or Xbox360 can produce such detailed world. and yet a relatively cheap PC like the one in my sig can run it with a steady 25FPS (FYI: Dx9, 1440x900, hacked very high)

i personally think a console vs computer thread is fine as long as everything are educated factual statements, no flaming and everyone's happy :)

5. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

It is best to ignore your colleague. If he wants to act like a troll and get attention by wasting your time defending a position why bother? His argument is flawed in that consoles are just modified PCs. Dell, Compaq and HP use custom motherboards with odd heatsink arrangements and restrictive OEM software. Apple does it as well and prevents unwanted software from being installed. Every PC has a deferent potential for a desired task and he should stop pestering you.

Expensive hardware does not automatically make something bad relative to a cheaper alternative and should mind his own business. A stern warning followed by silence should be enough to scare him away.

6. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Totally in agreement, even though I love my 360 can I surf the web and download mods on it? I don’t think so :waah:

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

PC Cheesecake

8. Muffins17

Muffins17 What's a Dremel?

Lol, your mate's an idiot, i'd love to see my 360 beat my PC

9. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

Firstly, thanks very much for your responses.

Secondly, I'm not interested in Console vs Computer, so please keep those opinions to yourself.
    All I'm interested in is the HARDWARE Comparsion.

It's obvious you need have to spend upto 5x the cost of a Xbox 360 to build a PC of similar spec, but what would be the closest PC Hardware match.

Mainly so I can judge where that Hardware sits on a scale.... eg, if graphics is equal to an 8600GT then you've got a few cards now, not to mention the next line up, that are better.

Thanks again for your help.

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

A 10-second Google search yielded this. A decent, high-fiber reading that could possibly make your mate quiet down a little and take notice of the pink elephant in the living room that he's been ignoring.

As far as specific hardware, I'd try hitting Google.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

who said 5x, PC may seems more expensive, but the games are cheaper than console counter parts.

and for a similar spec PC to xbox360, it'd probably cost less than 300 pounds, the xbox 360 spec is old by today's PC standards, only 3 cores? only a Dx9 graphics card?

12. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

also, the PC is more than solely for games, it has the longevity of being ... well everything. whereas a console is a console whether you like it or not

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

...and that closes the issue for me, however much of a photo-finish it may be. When I get bored of gaming, I can surf the net (chalk up 5 hours a day right there) watch films, TV series, listen to music, write stuff, read stuff, follow the news, research, relax. Some of these things have been tentatively introduced on consoles, but they never catch on, because the whole point of a console is to be a gaming unit. Even if consoles kicked PC gaming out tomorrow, the PC would still be an essential platform for everything else.
    Consoles are the runtish offspring of PCs, however quickly they may be approaching graduation. Lest we forget the teething years...

14. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

I love my PCs, whilst PCs will win generally it really does depend on your budget.

Consoles are sold at a lose so are good value for money compared to a PC. You won't get XBOX 360 graphics from a PC for the same price as a console. And consoles don't have compatibility issues as the hardware is the same or at least within a very tight range. Whilst PCs can be upgraded, new consoles are brought out.

PCs will win, but it depends on the budget available. Plus you can use a PC to do work aswell :p