1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project AquaLight - updated [23-2-2007] FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 16 Aug 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

wow thats really sleek :jawdrop:

2. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

like the top desing.... although all that bondo is gonna make extremely heavy

3. ssR

ssR Carbon God

i really dont care about the weight. the rig already weights about 20kg at this point, a few kg more or less... doesnt bother me really :)

4. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

Old skool type of work. extreme detail. very nice

5. ssR

ssR Carbon God

time for another update

today i started working on the side panel. after masking the panel with maskingtape i cut out the middle section with a dremel (standard cutting disks, non reinforced, did a great job cutting through the panel with ease)

the disassembled panel after removing the original plexi, both fans and the handle
    [​IMG]

masking the outline with maskingtape
    [​IMG]

after cutting out the central area
    [​IMG]

few minutes later after all the filing.
    [​IMG]

other than that i did some experiments with plexi since i never worked with it before. tried polishing and flame polishing some small pieces.... im gonna need some more practice before ill be brave enough to try those methods on actual pieces
    tomorrow i hope to get an aluminium sheet to cover the original panel (following my sketches). if ill manage expect a pretty big update :naughty:

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Today's update. didnt get too much work done im still stuck without the aluminium sheet for the window panel and i came to a conclusion that my current design for the top panel would make it look kinda cheap. im looking for something really special.

So today i worked mostly on the front bezel. i wetsanded the fiber and the blowhole with 360 grit sandpaper. then i moved next to the 120mm FAN. i originally didnt want to use it cause 1 of the blades got cracked and i glued it back and secured it in place with a piece of fiberglass and some CA glue. the repairment was quite visible then but today i sanded it down to a perfect finish (the pics were taken before i sanded it so dont get all scared)

i decided to go for the turbine look. now now i know there are pre-made turbine fans on the market but none of them are strong enough and very few can push beyond 40CFM. the 1 in pictures pushes 96 CFM as far as i know and its super quiet.

so i took a R/C airplane plastic spinner and sanded it down till it was a perfect fit on top of the fan. the whole thing will be painted of course, i cant leave it like that.

so in general i didnt do too much today (all together i worked about 1.5 hours on the panel) ill let the pics do the talking

fan next to the spinner, still in its original form
    [​IMG]

sanded down spinner is placed on top of the fan
    [​IMG]

closeup...sorry for the blurry pic :(
    [​IMG]

and thats how it looks on the panel
    [​IMG]

closeup
    [​IMG]

some more stuff
    on top is a shape i thought to cut on the other side of the case (kind of a tribal shark or smth i guess)
    at the bottom is the writing that will be implemented in the window panel (for those of u who followed my updates
    [​IMG]

another thing is that i found out that blackdog-pcs.com do international shippings. so without hesitating i ordered some stuff that are nearly impossible to get in Israel

AC Ryan AcrylPanel™ 3mm - 480x480mm UVBlue
    AC Ryan MeshxPanel™ 500x500mm Black
    AC Ryan Connectx™ Molex Gripz 4pin Female - UVBlue
    AC Ryan Roundcable2-FX ATA133 30cm 1 1dev UVBlue
    AC Ryan SATA EMI cable - 30cm UVBlue
    AC Ryan Screwz™ for power supply fans
    AC Ryan MORF™ SE psu modding kit - UVBlue

thats it for today i really hope to get that aluminium sheet tomorrow so i can start working on the window

7. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Today's update will be shorter than i would want it to be but there are quite few reasons for that.

i started working on the project pretty late due to my work commitements. in the middle of all the cutting and dremeling i found out that my cellphone is gone. totally pissed off i broke 5 cutting disks in a row, i then realised that its not my day and folded. it was pretty late by then anyway.

So here are the pics from today:

Before starting the actual work i tried some designs on a cardboard. This is what i finally came up with
    [​IMG]

aluminium sheet marked are ready to work with. i used 1mm thick 5052 aluminium
    [​IMG]

drilling leading holes in the difficult areas
    [​IMG]

the panel at the end of the work today
    [​IMG]

Other than that i already have the design pretty much figured out tor the top of the case i hope to make a cardboard template tomorrow

8. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

I think, u dont let a good lenght arround the fan hole, on the side. :idea:

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Another update. today i finished cutting out the window. still got some filing left to do and the "aqualight" writing will be done next time. ive done about half of the cutting with dremel and the rest with jigsaw. here are the pics

Panel at the end of the day
    [​IMG]

1 of the corners
    [​IMG]

fan hole
    [​IMG]

in focus is the main wondow corner, still needs some filing while in the background u can see the side widnow already filed down and finished
    [​IMG]

the original panel next to its new cover
    [​IMG]

the leftovers. i dont have too much aluminium so ill keep them just in case ill have some ideas
    [​IMG]

guys im working pretty hard on this mod and im not getting ANY feedback at all, i can handle some criticizm so please reply if u have anything on ur mind :)

LOTTARO: what do u mean exactly?

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Just seen this log for the first time and I'm impressed.

The front panel looks very smooth, I hope I can get my HTPC front to look so smooth... :)

I'll 2nd what someone said earlier about getting some dust filters for your fans though... :D

11. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

whew, thats some neat work! gold stars all round :thumb:

Look forward to seeing it all coming together. Fraid I have nothing useful to add yet.

Keep it up!

12. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Wow, dude...it looks awesome. Great idea, from what I can tell. It's fantastic to see that someone else is actually starting work from a case they don't like and making it their own. I don't see any criticism I could make...keep it up, my friend.

13. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Looking very good m8, KUTGW! If you don't have any ideas for that round piece of aluminium, u can always make a shuriken out of it :rock: :naughty:

14. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks for the feedback guys :D
    i didnt go to the workshop today, woke up with a sore throat so ill continue the work at sunday.
    so meanwhile i was sitting at my place working on the final design for the top and the mobo panels. this is what i came up with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry i have no skills or whatsoever in graphics programs. id rather draw everything by hand (if its not more complicated than a few straight lines)

anyway i can promise u that it will look much better when im done with it :)
    i tried to keep the drawings scaled with the original panels i kinda succeded doing it with the mobo panel but the top panel came out pretty messed up, it will look better when im done :)

15. lnr

lnr What's a Dremel?

Looks cool. I always draw thing by hand (well, first anyway :D)
    I dig the shark/fish thing :thumb: and like the fact that you have a sort of rounded angular theme going (if that makes sense...)
    Personally I hate having usbs on top of the case (got them on my current case, they drive me mad) but I see that you have been using them there so i guess that's fine by you.

Look forward to an update :)

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

You've got a nice style that's starting to develop. It looks like this will become a piece of art as well as PC modification!

Subscribed, as I'm looking forward to how this turns out!

17. ssR

ssR Carbon God

wow, thanks! thats by far the best compliment i got on these forums lol. pretty hard to impress someone here with so many great modders browsing these forums. i really hope that one day i will be anywhere near them.

anyway... i was sitting here getting bored so i thought its a good opportunity to disassemble my rid and get it ready for the next stage.

Disassembly stages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reassembly in an old case i had from a previous system

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i removed all the fans and cathodes from the case

[​IMG]

thats about it, i hope to take the whole case to my workshop in the beginning of next week. the plans are cutting out those ugly fan grills and replacing them with something more elegant aswell as painting the interior of the case and beginning of the whole acrylic work (and there will be lots of acrylic involved in this)

18. g1zm0

g1zm0 What's a Dremel?

Are you just going to rivet the new side pannel onto the old one for ease or are you going to attach it some other way?

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

no i dont think rivets will look very professional. ill just scre the panels each to other with the acrylic in the middle. i will also sand down the edges of the acrylic so when the case is lit up it will have a nice glowing outline.

20. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Kick-asslycious :thumb: