1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: BGAIOC 2T Monster : 19th MAY Log :"SCRAP TIME"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CrazyModder, 14 Jun 2006.

1. CrazyModder

CrazyModder What's a Dremel?

New name :baby:
    " BGAIOC 2T Monster "​
    ( Black & Green, All In One Computer with 2+ terabytes of storage)​

aloh ! It this thing on, this will be my first worklog; so be patience
    My goal is to expand my computer storage capacity, from 1.3T to 2.2T plus and add some watercooling in just for fun. This is a picture of my last mod, AKA " BulletProof ".

[​IMG]
    It has a P4 775 HT 3.0 Mhz, 2x1gb DDR2 533 mhz, 1.3T storage, 2 psu, CDRW, DVDRW, (8) 80 mm fans, (4) 120mm fans; 3/4" lexan bolted case, weighthing 76lbs.

I want to upgrade the case, " unknow shape yet " ( did I mention I was crazy ); starting a mod with no idea what final shape the case will have. Not to mention other details. This gonna be a sort of a "Terapy" for me, to try to stop the voices in my head at least for a while. So if you see something that doesn't make sense and think " this guy is nuts " you are probably right. So give it some time; maybe at the end, all will make sense: hopefully.

Also I will upgrade the storage capacity to 2.2T, water cooling an a lot of other crap to make it look green, out with the blue. The reason is I need more space for my " media" and this will be my main computer and server; to 4 computers, 1 laptop, and something else in the future. Sorry gamers but not high end video cards on this rig. If my writing is off, my toughts are also, so don't mind. i write as it comes out of my head or somewhere else

[​IMG]
    This is the theme of the case, a 2.5T green monster server.

So first mod The cables to connect the PSU to any 4 pin molex powered devices, like HD, Fans, DVD, CDRW, Pumps, etc. I hate those RBY spagetty tangly molex wires the PSU comes with. Love the modular look of the new PSUs; that is the look I'm going for, but home made.

So this is the first power cable 24" long, single molex connector:

[​IMG]

2 pairs of 18 avg spk wire, sleeved with vynil tubing
    [​IMG]
    Here is the plug I'm using
    [​IMG]
    After soldering and some heatshrinking tubing
    [​IMG]
    The molex pin has been solder
    [​IMG]
    Molex plug in place
    [​IMG]
    The tester plug molex and a 5 pin din jack
    [​IMG]
    It works....
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the foggy pictures, sadly after taking those pictures I discover my digi cam was broken. Aso I will try to improve my logging skills. Next picture of the finish cable was taken with a new camera. Now you can see the details, I'm going for the silver/cooper look on the cables, no more RYB cables.
    [​IMG]
    Warning the updates and the whole " case mod " is gonna take a long while. Ideas are slow to come and making them happen even slower. But stick around will have some fun. Feel free to comment.

P.S. I don't claim this mods to be all original ideas, I have been inspired by others, but I did give them my own twist...

Last edited: 19 May 2007
  2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

nice start man :) u want a lot of storage space, do u serve a bit of pr0n ;) ;)
    Other then that, gonna be interesting to watch this one, i see you've used the aquarium tubing to do your wires (done in another mod)

Also 1 little tip, if you get FireFox and the Google toolbar, you can check your spelling :)

3. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping to see a cool HDD-rack made by you ;) Maby one made of aluminium that youy polish *droll*

4. CrazyModder

NoT " pr0n " :eeek: but Anime for me and pictures for my kids plus home movies, you know videos are the most storage hungry media.

The vynil tubing is the only way to match some round cables with chrome sleeving that I had gotten for my HDs. I like that type of mod, you got me there. Down with RYB wires on this case, I will try to cut them to a minimun.

About the spelling thingy, I will try to improve, but is difficult enought to not write backwards. Remember I have problems keeping my toughts together and that will reflect in this mod, log and my writting, is not joke I'm a little mental. :duh:

Last edited: 15 Jun 2006
  5. CrazyModder

Hmmm.. the ways things are going now, one side of the case will have to be a HD rack, I need 12bays for HD's and 3 more for CDrom, CDRW and a DVD.

I do want to incorporated some alminium, cooper, plexiglass on this case, with lots of green. But the budget eaters are the HD's. :sigh:

Anyway this forum is an inspiration for me, thanks for your comments. :)

6. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Good look, this being your first work log and judging by your orignal mod, the picture at the top of the page, it'll be an interesting one for sure.
    How many drives are you wanteing to put in that monster? 1,2 resoivoirs and quite a lot of tubing if you plan to water cool them... Which would be best judging by the amount of storage you want and need...

7. CrazyModder

" BulletProof " was done in a few days, my mistake; because I couldn't give it the amount of details and mods that I want it. This one is gonna be slow and with lots of mods.
    I got (4) 200gb, (5) 250gb, (2) 320gb and (1) 20gb; should be a total of 12 Hds.

No water cooling for the HDs they will be air cooled, but the CPU and chipset will be WC.

8. CrazyModder

This is the mod for the 3 or 2 pin fan cables. I want all the cables to have a chrome/cooper look. That is why I'm using spk wires, on this cable I twisted them,so it looks even better. Also better pictures, thanks for all your comments.

Here are some of the parts for this mod
    [​IMG]

Cable already sleeved, look at that twisted look
    [​IMG]

Wires after been soldered to the mono plug
    [​IMG]

Mono plug assembled, perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

3 pin plug soldered to the other cable end
    [​IMG]

Finished cable, twisted silver/cooper shinny look
    [​IMG]

Tester/ adapter
    [​IMG]

It works!
    [​IMG]

Next cable mod is a (3) 4 pin molex connectors
    that has a stiff steel wire inside, to made the cable bendable.

The reason i'm starting from the wires is because, I'm gonna need xtra long wires for this case mod and I have to test some concepts before bulding the case. I haven't decided the shape of the case yet. I have like a 1k ideas that i want to incorporated on this case , but can't seem to put my thoughts in order.

I'm gonna build the case myself, right know the plan goes like this: left side will be 12 removable bays for HD's and 2 additional bays will be a removable module of a ( dvd & cd ), that can be removed from the computer ( but still attached to it, by an USB and a power cable ) that way I can get them closer ( easy reach ) for those times of heavy recording and backup. Right side will have all the water cooling stuff and PC controls, the MOB will go flat in the bottom of the case. At the very top , the case is going to have 2 PSU and in between the MOB and PSUs; something weird. The color of the case is " unknow" for now, but the lighting is gonna be color green, and lots of accents in chrome, silver, cooper; metallic theme all around and heavy use of plexiglass. It's definetly not your traditional case. Its the final shape what I can't decide on; but I'm getting there.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ummh.. 2.3TB :eeek:

I trust Mr. Murphy and his law so much I possibly wouldn't put that much HDD's in one computer.. Let alone modify it ;) But that's just me. Be careful!

10. CrazyModder

I had run 7 hds 7200 rpm on for a year 24/7, the heat is a b*&^%. My last mod will be a " smoke detector " just in case of a fire :sigh:

11. Jipa

Yeah that might be a good idea. I've cooked one Maxtor so far, it gave so terrible smoke I noticed it w/o dedicated detector, but I've been a bit sceptical after that happened :(

12. CrazyModder

I cooked 2 hds in my fist trial fit for " BulletProof ", lucky they were old 3.5gb; but yeah the smoke told me something was wrong. To try and make it safer and cooler, I bought 12 hot swap removable drive bays with fans.

13. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

14. CrazyModder

:eeek: Heavy mula..! Yeah I had tought about those drive cases but they are too much and I already have the HD's all IDE's, plus I want them to have each a cooling fan and LED's to indicated status.

15. Jipa

What about cooling in those multi-hdd-cages? I only saw some tiny ventilation holes :<

16. CrazyModder

I will surround the rear of all the HDs bays with a " air box " with a couple of fans. The little fans inside the bays is just to ensure that the HDs get some airflow, the real pull of air will be done by the rear fans in the air box.

17. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

with that many HDD's i would have though a waterblock would be best

18. Jipa

Crazymodder: ok that's good as one fan failing wont break up the whole pack..

19. CrazyModder

I'm using now fans to cool 7 Hds, temps stay around at 33 C or 91 F most of the time. Will H2O push it lower than that? I don't know. Maybe with so many HD's together the temps will be higher, I won't know until the case is finish and running.

20. CrazyModder

Here is the cable mod for a (3) 4 pin molex connectors
    this cable has a stiff steel wire inside, to made the cable bendable.

Some of the parts for this cable
    [​IMG]

Once the cables and the stiff wire are sleeved together,
    this cable can do tricks, like standing up. This cable now
    is bendable, could come in handy for arranging or dressing
    up the wires away from some components. Also it could
    include an EL wire for lighthing.
    [​IMG]

The plug side has been solder and heat shrinked, ready for assembly
    [​IMG]

Molex pin soldered to the other end of the cable
    [​IMG]

1st molex plug is in place
    [​IMG]

2nd molex plug added
    [​IMG]

3rd molex plug in place, finish cable.
    [​IMG]

This cable proved to be time consuming to put together,
    but I like the end results alot. Rather than have one cable
    per device, I'm planning on using this cable like for HD's
    or when connecting multiple devices per cable, to cut
    down in the number of connections, plus it will look more
    tidy. I'm thinking on changing the molex to UV green,
    for those connections that are gonna be visible.

See you at the next mod, simple change of leds on a fan. :baby: