1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Diamond Black aka Black Fabio: 22/12 Complete Log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gurdas, 30 May 2003.

1. sik

sik Banned

The 9000 costs about £200 less mate.

:p

2. conan

conan What's a Dremel?

Fair enough m8, thought that might be the case. Just wondered why you want to overclock it? Or is it just for fun:D

3. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Fun, and see what I can get out of it for free. If I can get more than 1ghz extra out of it why not!?:D

4. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Ok some good news and bad news, good news is that the parts are at the plating company ready to be chromed. Bad news is that it is costing me £80 and will take about 2 weeks.

5. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

AHh, £80 is abit steap :confused: . Now your judgement is needed to know whether it is worth it :thumb:

-cLoWn

6. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Indeed, I thought it was going to be around £40. Ohwell whats done is done, thats £60 on the case and £80 on chroming. £140 for a unique case isnt bad;)

7. [twig]clown

Supose, my case was £105, then a £50 (crap) PSU takes it to £155, ahh well, the price we pay for a good case.

-cLoWn

8. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Well mine came with a crud 300w so I replaced it with a nice Antec Trueblue 480w:D

9. [twig]clown

I still using a crap Q-Tec 550W :(. Its really crap if i put some strain on it, will be getting a Antex Trueblue 480W just like you after i have finaced my next project.

-cLoWn

10. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Yep the Trueblue looks like a decent psu, after all you dont really want to be skimping out on one of the most important components.

11. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Hey, great work so far. Black is so sexy when it's done right, which is exactly what you're doing.

Do you have some linkage for those pump vibration mounts you're using? I've got an oddball case, in that the base of the case is two steel rails, and a panel pops off the bottom just like with the sides of normal cases. Problem is that the bottom of the case isn't flat, and foam doesn't seem to be the best solution for having the pump (eheim 1250) sit on (not real secure).

How well do those mounts work with the pump (eheim 1250?)

12. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

13. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Well crap, they don't ship across the pond. I guess I'll have to go looking for a US distributor, or just keep browsing mcmaster carr until I find what I need.

14. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

I had to sand down the led module a bit because I have the bigger barbs. But now its perfect and here it is in action.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Dec 2004
  15. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Ok what a day....went to the plating and polishing company to pick up my chrome bling. The guy brought the stuff onto the counter, all of it was wrapped up, half of it was in the box and the other half was single, reason for this is because some parts of the case could only go through a process called "Bright Chroming" which means its just a chrome finish but not polished. The reason it cant be polished is because of the complex curves and stuff, but this is ok because those parts arent directly in view. The wrapped up stuff by itself was the polished chrome parts so I thought id take a peek at the workmanship. It was the aquadrive front plate and I thought, wicked, but looked at the corner and the chrome was flaking off. I showed him this and he actually said "oh s**t, that probably didnt get a final inspection", I thought, no worries you can redo those ones as im paying £80 and would not be happy with a half finished job:D

So hes going to inspect ALL the polished parts and those that have flakes will be stripped and redone which is nice.

I have however brought home the "Bright Chrome" parts and one "Polished Chrome" part which is the radiator plate. Now I need to drill some holes in the radiator plate and I asked the guy if the chrome flakes off (which it shouldnt) could you redo them? And he said that wouldnt be a problem.

So enough babbling im sure you are dying to see the pics:D

First pic shows 3 components in "Bright Chrome" and the square plate flat on the floor is the "Polished Chrome".
    [​IMG]

This pic just demonstrates the professional work they carry out, very happy, THIS is a proper polished chrome finish.
    [​IMG]

The difference between "Bright Chrome" and "Polished Chrome" is just that "Bright" is slightly duller but still a VERY nice chrome finish by my estimation.

Excuse the fingerprints, havent clean it up yet;)

16. gurdas

gurdas What's a Dremel?

Ive been back to the garage to start on the radiator plate. Ive decided to save myself £20 on a holesaw and make it myself. So out comes the cd as a template and after several checks to make sure the cd was dead centre, I double taped it down and then used my sharp compass to score the backside of the radiator plate.

[​IMG]

Took the cd off aswell as some of the masking tape and this next photo you can see the score mark that was left. All I need now is some more dremel cutting discs.

[​IMG]

Oh and here is a shot of my "working space". Quite amusing really, I think ill get a proper bench for the next project.
    [​IMG]

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Lookin' good! :rock: Keep it coming!

18. Merce

Merce What's a Dremel?

Holy crap! You could use your radiator plate as shaving mirror.

This is gonna be sweeet! Keep it going.:rock:

19. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

hehe - now that's the ultimate multi-function device! Any chance you could mod it to do the actual shaving?

You're project is looking really good so far. The pictures of the painted side pannels were'nt working just now so I haven't seen that yet )c:
    I can't believe you're going to cut the radiator plate now it's been chromed - erm don't slip :D

Last edited: 27 Aug 2003
  20. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

The chrome is looking really good :clap:
    Major bling but totally in good taste :D