1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft: 'PC DRM is a success'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2011.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Buy and crack? Sounds good to me.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Very similar sentiments here. With so many far less restrictive DRM options out there it's amazing that Ubisoft actually thinks this is still a good idea.

And the worst part? People enable them. People keep buying their games and complaining rather than simply avoiding them, and pirates keep pirating them so they escalate their DRM measures.

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

how can they say success? the amount of people that go off on one and give the old 'meh...stupid drm i think ill pirate it as it will work better'

4. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I'm one of them. I despise Steam and I always will. Where do they get off putting all those ads on my computer when I close a game? That's my money they're using to pay for their advertising. They can do what they want with downloaded games. I really don't care. But I buy my games on disk and I just want to plug and play with no adverts and constant Steam platform updates. Every single time I load Fallout-New Vegas I have to restart it because some file on Steam was corrupted.

5. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

You can turn that off, you know.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im sorry. but supposed to be "your internet".

as in the "internet that belongs to you", not "you become the internet".

7. leslie

leslie Just me!

I have to thank Ubisoft for their work.
    It's saved me a bunch of time and money by making NOT buy any of their games.

Yes, I could just crack them, but if they are so adamant that I not play them, fine, I won't. I'm not the enemy, but I will be if they want to make me out as one.

As for peoples complaints about Steam, honestly, it rocks.
    Is it DRM? Yes, but, it's DRM that works with me, not against me. It's non-intrusive, and I love not having to worry about my disks getting damaged or lost and the sales are awesome.

8. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I agree with an earlier post - this statement just sounds like a weak reason to continue with their DRM method and excuse its existence in previous games. Piracy has decreased? How do they know that? I assume people don't phone them up and let them know when they've downloaded a cracked version?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

I don't like the fact that internet DRM is around, but I could make my peace with it if connection had to be made, say, once every week, or whatever. An always on method is just a pain in the ass though.

9. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I sometimes wonder if it's really the DRM that was the main factor why I stopped being into games so much, but if not the primary reason it certainly was damn influential.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

i brought hawx and hawx 2 didnt have a single issue performance was good ingame didnt even notice it was there. and also they have dont constantly check for internet access as i lost my internet a few times whilst playing these games and didn have an issue with the game stop working. Maybe the drm has been increased since then but i dout it will get much heavier

people moaning about internet costs what are you doing purchasing video games ? if the internet cost is a problem then a purchase of a £50 game must also be.

Steam is DRM dont see foke complaining about it.

cant really complain as i play the most drm heavy titles of them all MMOs no pay no play. people will say thats a dif form of drm but its not i cant play it offline or on a laptop in the middle of a desert. And if i dont give them there £8 a month i cant play it period as im barred from server access.

11. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

It's not a cost issue - it is about longevity (online activation means the game dies when the company closes), control (company can deny you access as it pleases) and ultimately, consumer rights (if I pay for a game, I expect to play it as and when I choose, not being blocked because "the activation servers are down" or "you changed computer setup too often and so need to beg for new activations" or "we didn't like your post on our forum so we're disabling your account").
    You can't have looked very hard then...

12. vexy1987

vexy1987 What's a Dremel?

How does this DRM reduce piracy? Certain titles with this type of draconian DRM are no more difficult to obtain than titles without. People do not use image cloning techniques to obtain their pirate copies. Perhaps Ubisoft have misinterpreted their so called research into the matter? It would be more probable that their recent spat of PC titles are pirated less, not because of a successul DRM policy, but lower quality titles.

13. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

You've just wrongly corrected someone, that's embarrassing. You clearly know that "you're" means "you are" yet think "As with other Ubisoft DRMed games, you'll be unable to play if you are internet goes down." makes sense.

It's "your" not "you're". :duh:

Last edited: 30 Jul 2011
  14. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I actually didn't even see that :duh: :wallbash: I did wrongly correct someone anyway... but that's due to misreading, not my grammar skills.

I thought he was trying to correct "As with other Ubisoft DRMed games, you'll be unable to play if you're internet goes down."

otherwise why would I point out you'll at all?

15. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

ironically, this is exactly what theyre crap DRM attempt promotes :lol:

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I refuse to buy any UBI game with an always on connection.

Yet another -1 sale for UBI.

Yes UBI, your DRM is a great sucess. It stops anyone buying your **** games. Thanks for saving me money. :)

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

was going to say something similar. Ubi has lost all sales from me a while ago. AC2 was going to be a purchase on the steam sales, then I remembered why I dont buy Ubi games.

18. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

There will be a day 1 crack for the DRM.

Game developers must not use the internet because if they did they would know just how useless there DRM is.

19. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

I'm not convinced that all this business about having to log in to the publisher's pet network and have the 'always on' internet activation et cetera is actually about DRM/piracy at all.

My theory is that DRM is the excuse but that the real purpose is in order to hook you deeper into the publisher's ecosystem so that (a) they have more opportunities to market to you and (b) they have a channel for snooping into your online activities and gaming habits. Basically -- spyware for marketing purposes but dressed up as anti-piracy DRM.

I have never ever pirated a game to date (and am very committed to the idea that people should have ownership of their creative output); however, for the first time the growth of online activation and similar is seriously making me consider moving towards pirated games instead of going through legitimate channels.

A comparison would be if Penguin started trying to make me attach a webcam to my head everytime I read one of their legitimately purchased books (so they could check it was legit, of course) -- I don't think I would feel much moral compunction about heading off to the pirate bookshops.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I want Anno 2070 and just hope that this ******** doesnt get lumped with it.

Tags: Add Tags