1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UHS-I SD cards announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 3 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

as long as they're fast enough for filming or taking rapid-shot pictures...

3. PerpetualOmega

PerpetualOmega What's a Dremel?

How long before the 2.5" SSD is replaced by a 3cm UHS-I card?!

4. chris1317

chris1317 What's a Dremel?

What about CF cards. Sandisk already has a card out that can do 90MB/s read and write

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

does this mean another upgrade to be compatible with these? I had enough at the last one.

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I haven't actually had any problems when using my 8gb SDHC ultra at 15mb/s shooting on a D5000. So for me its not going to make a difference. Hopefully it will cause a price crash for that level card.

7. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

depends if thwy can extend the life of the cards, as after x amount of writes they are useless. SSD's however try to side step this with various work arounds.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

maybe class 4 cards have wear levelling (they norm do not say its there on class 4 or lower cards but its on all of the class 6 or higher ones) but i norm never use them due to very speed of 6MB/s (2mb Write more the Write i have an issue with)

class 6 i know do have wear levelling and operate around 20MB/s (10mb Write) what i norm sell and buy 6 unless there device does not support the class 6 at all (keep some dusty class 4 cards around for when they are ever needed)

be aware most shops are rip offs as they mostly sell the class 4 cards (and some class 2 > KINGSTON 16GB! 2MB/s lol) at an high prices and do not stock class 6 or if they do they add £20-30 more to it (when they only cost £1-5 more)

class 10 cards should be very cool been able to do up to 100MB/s (i guess most will do 50-70MB/s but that's still not slow), But you need an USB 3 card reader + class 10 and/or an cam that even supports class 10 or you be limited to 30MB/s

9. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Is there something wrong with the picture? SDHC UHS-I and still a class 10? Or did the new specs not include a new minimum worst case write speed.....

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Most of us don't have to worry about wear leveling as we generally lose the card first!

11. Dext

Dext What's a Dremel?

The speeds sound impressive, but I'm anticipating diabolical prices for both, and unfortunately pretty much all cameras except semi-pro to professional DSLRs aren't class 10 compatible right now. (And even many of those aren't.)

CF cards are already very fast but they're no longer well supported, and with this new standard, they will probably be even less so from now on.

Maximum write limits for these cards are usually several thousand, often 10, so for the average consumer it won't be an issue.

Buying an SD card in shop IS an underwhelming experience. They'll only sell weak, or maybe mediocre performance cards, and then sell fairly high performance Sandisk cards for silly prices.

Once the standard becomes the norm, and prices get competative, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

But right now spending an arm and a leg on this would probably be a waste. Give it 3 or 4 months (from its release date). At least.

Tags: Add Tags