1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK govt explains lack of tax breaks for games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

"3000 people that were no longer going to be employed in the UK... They thought a reasonable proportion of those people would go and find other jobs using their skills in the British economy"

um, excuse me, Bulls**t; WHAT OTHER JOBS IN THE ECONOMY?

Have they forgotten the HUGE unemployment figures and the dire and unbelievable difficulty in getting a job at the moment?

bigsharn likes this.
  3. sear

sear Guest

I think the issue they're missing here is that the UK development scene is sizable, but not as big as it could be, and that with government funding it could become a much bigger industry than it is.

4. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I know of at least 2 friends who have moved to Canada in the past year working in the games industry. Both seem to be very happy in their new Country and are highly unlikely to ever return to the UK. I guess the UK government thinks the computer games are still something for children and really do not understand the impact of all the skilled worker moving abroad.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Have you talked to them since winter started?

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

We need to be encouraging technology experts into this country, not encouraging them to leave. In fact, ALL sciences dedicated to the future of this planet in whatever form they may be should be supported by our government. We should be leaders, not followers.

7. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

That may just as well be the main problem, The games industry is seen as a few geeks playing their little games. when in reality these "few" geeks are a multi billion dollar industry.

8. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Worry not, comrades. This latest purge on intellectuals is for your own safety. (honest)

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Or they can move to Germany where you can get 16Mbps connection as the norm and 50M is right around the corner.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Furthermore, I am *unconvinced* that the UK govt represents the best welfare of its people, maybe it would be better to go back to an aristocratic system!

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Lol. How true.

Like GPs, politicians are paid far too much with too many perks. It attracts people into the job for money, not for the love or interest of it. Ergo, they are self serving not supporting the people they should be in those positions.

@TSR2 - Yup, can't have too many intelligent people in the country. They may be a danger to the mediocre levels in our government. They are even talking about chopping degree courses down by 33%.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

...and Movies are different because....?

13. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I agree this really does sound like an old USSR stunt. Was it Lenin or Stalin who forced all the intellectuals to build the "road of bones"?

My other point here is that they are happy for some very good and experienced individuals to loose their jobs as their company moves to a better tax haven. Whilst these experienced now unemployed should go and sell pc's at pcworld. I'm not saying theres something wrong with working at pcworld but it's a pretty big step back and in the wrong direction to developing games and software.

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I'm not sure if Bit-Tech will do their own write-up of this latest twist, but here is one I read earlier:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/house-of-lords-committee-report-backs-industry-tax-breaks

Obviously there was no money to be siphoned off for the MPs in Parliament which is why they failed to see the benefits, however of all the people in our land to support tax breaks for the industry ... it was the grey-haired old boys n girls who spend 90% of their day asleep. Big love to the old dudes.

Tags: Add Tags