Other Washer/Dryers Combo

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 18 Jan 2021.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Do remember, though, that a drying rack doesn't remove the moisture - it just relocates it. A proper vented tumble dryer removes the moisture by venting it outside; a condensing dryer (or condensing washer/dryer) removes it by turning it into liquid water and flushing it down the drain; a drying rack, heated or otherwise, just throws it into the air. If your room ain't well ventilated, expect to start seeing mouldy walls in short order.

(I have a dessicant dehumidifier in the cellar to make it usable as storage, and I pop non-heated airers in front of that - works a treat in the winter, but definitely not the eco- or wallet-friendly approach!)

goldstar0011 likes this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That looks quite good. We got "that seems like a good idea lets see if it works" version from Aldi I think it was.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

In a very efficient flat (for me at least) mine does two jobs at once. I only use it in winter. There is a heater in my bathroom, but because obviously it's leccy some clever **** put the switch for it right behind my TV stand so I never use it.

However, if I run the drier for two hours that's my flat heated for the entire day. In fact, if you even so much as fart in here it warms it up more than enough. I have put my heating on twice all winter. Even if I am cold as soon as I run the oven it warms the place up also. On days I do the tumbling? I sit here in a pair of shorts and nothing else.

So yeah, if it's super cold (like below 0) then I just do my wash on that day lol. All of that waste heat is very useful. I don't heat my bedroom. I like cold rooms for sleeping, and ice cold beds. If I turn the heating on in there I end up with a blocked nose and nose bleeds.

I suppose that is the benefits of having one main room for your kitchen/diner and living room. You spend 95% of the day in there, and get the benefits of all of the items creating waste heat for you.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Mine probably consumes more electricity than the car does :worried:

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Again another thumbs up for the LG combo, it does both things well, it's negative vs a standard drier is that it takes far longer to dry and obviously locks up the machine so doing big family loads takes planning. Ours is probably 6yrs old, LG have probably improved upon them in that time.

No penalty otherwise over separates.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2021
  6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Bought both a washing machine and a dryer recently and can agree with most of the above - make sure you change the filter on the dryer regularly (we have a dog so might need to do it less than once per month). They are able to stack so that's nice if lacking space.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you get a condenser drier that has a water drawer (which is most of them), you could put it in any room where you can plug it in, doesn't have to be the kitchen as no drain is required.

Condensers are generally more power efficient than vented, with heatpump ones most efficient of all, although pricey. We got a Beko dcu7230w which takes a big load ( :eyebrow: ) and dries quickly and well.

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Well, I technically do have one and was relucant to put in the spare room due to teh hassle of getting it upstairs and seeing as I have to buy a washer was considering a combo unit.
    As it's just me is having 2 units worth it when I can air dry 80% of my clothes

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We hang dry most stuff, especially during the summer, but sheets and towels get done in the dryer and Lauren does her uniform in it if she runs out and needs it urgently. It's not so much an issue now I'm home and can do the washing anytime, but when it was weekend washing rush and there was build up I remember being in the flat and Lauren sticking a load on for drying and taking it up for half a day, was a right ballache orchestrating it all. If it's just you that's probably less of an issue.

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Throwing a sheet over the top also helps. I had a cheaper one before (that was more more like a regular drying horse) and a sheet helped

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bought a cheapo heated rack from Argos last night after reading this thread. Seems to work ok, but I'll have to try the sheet trick mentioned above.