1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What Game Should I Play Next?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 9 Mar 2009.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I know you said PC only, but if you've got access to a gamecube (or even a wii) you've got to try Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Severely underrated game and probably one of my all time favourite games.

7th Guest for a bit of nostalgia (if you can find a copy) I lent mine to a my cousin years ago and never got it back (I'll have to see if he's still got it).

Giants was supposed to be good, I've got it but never got past the first level (PC was to low-spec to play it properly when I first bought it, and once I'd upgraded I'd forgotton all about it) but the humor in it sounds like your kind of game.

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

This may or may not be your cup of tea, but when you started talking about dak humor, i could only think of Discworld Noir.
    Like the other Discworld games, it's point-and-click with loads of bewildering characters and strange conversations, but this time the setting is a really filmic experience. It's definately a change from what you are currently playing.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Discworld noir was a good 'un. I liked the previous 2 as well.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Discworld Noir is a possibility, as is Eternal Darkness (which I've been meaning to play for a while, but was put off by Richard's hate of it). Giants was something Harry suggested as well.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I don't know if you've played/reviewed Sacrifice, but that's a kooky game that may be right up your alley.

6. CardJoe

I do own that and have tried it, but to be honest I just couldn't get into it. I bought it in a double-pack with Planescape: Torment for £1 though - bargain!

7. dtheg1986

dtheg1986 What's a Dremel?

Little Big Adventure 2 ?

The game that got me into games all those years ago!

Also, same question to you Joe, I'd love to see some kind of list of old/good reccommended games, Im always on the look out for an obg
    (oldy but goody)

8. dtheg1986

dtheg1986 What's a Dremel?

Also, a man who commutes every day surely the psp and DS and maybe even iphone have to be thought about -

PSP - Monster Island Hunter 2 - Massively successful in Japan, to be honest I didnt quite get into it myself but I can kind of see the appeal. And as well, ultimately it is a game with great scope.

DS- Whole host of titles, all about the Castlevania series (I remember you guys reviewed orders of ecclesia but I cant remember what else)and recently I've been loving a bit of N plus

Iphone - Why on earth are people not playing Zombie Attack?!

9. CardJoe

Here's my list of obscurities, for the curious:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2007/12/28/the_best_games_you_ve_never_played/1

I'd tag some others on that of course. I consider Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, Thief, Grim Fandango, No One Lives Forever and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time to be required reading, depending on your tastes. Especially Thief (even if you just play Deadly Shadows, the most recent title) and Planescape.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm... I'll add a list, without knowing what you've played (bar 'lots of stuff' ;)) it's hard. :)

Dark Reign
    Dark Reign 2
    Imperium Galactica
    Imperium Galactica II
    Pax Imperia
    Haegemonia
    Earth 2140
    Earth 2150
    Earth 2160
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Rollercoaster Tycoon (guilty pleasure, this one...)

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Oh wow, i remember just loving this one! Too bad the game was so short, but it's definately a must-play :)

Re-install coming up :D

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Syndicate (no idea if this will still run, I may try and dig the disc out to see)
    Syndicate Wars
    Dungeon Keeper / Dungeon Keeper 2
    StarLancer
    Rise of Nations / Rise of Legends
    Rise of the Triad
    Star Wars: Rebel Assault (going back a bit too far now)

Point N Click (which the M.I. fan you are, you've probably already played)
    The Dig
    Full Throttle
    Guilty
    Indianna Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis
    Simon the Sorcerer (on offer on GOG I believe)
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Discworld / Discworld 2: Missing! Presumed...

edit:
    Arx Fatalis £2.99 on Steam. Bought this in Game ages ago. Not a bad game. Magic uses mouse gestures (sort of like the seals on the first DS Castlevania game).
    Sam & Max Episodes on Steam (Ep 4 is free)
    Jade Empire (KOTOR with Ninja instead of Jedi)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2009
  13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I love RCT never have completed it though, always ended up having to re-install/move to another country/move back and each time for one reason or another having to restart it. Wish it would work in Vista.

I have Haegemonia but I never got around to playing it, got it because it looked a bit like Homeworld. I hope they bring out another Homeworld.

I bought Nexus off Steam a few months back but have been busy so never actually got around to playing it. I need more time.

Also Joe, if you have a 2 hour commute I remember some trains having power sockets, maybe you should invest in a semi decent laptop with a 4850 or something in it.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Jade Empire! Love that game, it's really good too, I think I should get it some time.

15. CardJoe

Do actually have that, as I bought it with Hitman. I started it and have yet to truly get into it. So, I think that's off the list.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

@ Blademrk: Wasn't it called Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis?

Anyways, I recommend Civilization. Yes, #1! Also Septerra Core, repetitive and kinda weird but still a lot of fun. :)

17. CardJoe

It was last time I played it.

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

it was too, I just couldn't remember the exact title.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Hmm... back to Dead Space now. :p

20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - one of the funniest games ever, plus you get to play as a giant stompy monster!

Hostile Waters: An awesome update of carrier command - superb in almost every way

Freespace 2: One of my all time favourite games. Epic in scale and ambition and almost flawlessly accomplished. Utterly unappreciated.

Tags: Add Tags