1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What's Your IQ?

Discussion in 'General' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 15 Jun 2011.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

For the people above me, I find that a bit insulting TBH. I'd say that you're being a bit stereotypical.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Well you did necro a 10 year old thread. I'd say that justifies the stereotype.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

Oh come on! I enjoy the past, I hate the lousy stinking present!

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm in my late teens and it's something I've observed many times.

It's not meant to be insulting more just to do with the way we mature, I can guarantee you'll look back on some of your atttitudes as a teenager in your early twenties and go "Why did I think that?". Of course as with adults and every age group there are extreme examples in both directions which can affect people's impressions bu that's not what we're talking about here. It's proably a little harsh to say teenagers are stupid and unwilling to learn but you certainly are more arrogant around that age and unwilling to accept that someone else might know better than you.

It's not even necessarily a bad thing and it's certainly not something that can be avoided. All these things are part of your development and/or remenants from our ancestors and some qualities need to be learned like who is worth listening too and who will have a better understanding of the situation than you.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That's the beauty of it brother. We are our own worst enemies. We want to learn so much, but we also want to show to the how much we know already. It's a contradiction that leads to the occassional living hell that is our lives.

Hell I'd know, I'm still in it for the most part. But don't be offended, we perpetuate our own ignorance quite well, almost as good as Westboro.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

That's fair enough, seems to be all part and parcel.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

you all realise that IQ is a measure of potential intelligence and not actual intelligence right? Not to mention that in recent years IQ has very much taken a back seat to EI with employers.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

Indefinitely, I have never believed in the numbers and potential game, that's what ridicules school life in the sense that you as a person, by today's teaching system, are rated by potential.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm the latter. It takes me ages to learn something, but once I do I'm very good at it. It always irritated me that my alleged IQ, 117, was taken to imply that I'd be better at things than people with lower ones. It was almost never the case.

In any event, intelligence is only worth as much as you make of it, so in most cases of 'young genius' the potential is utterly wasted. I'd have more respect for someone with an IQ of 80 who spends all their time learning or working than for someone with an IQ of 120 who lounges around watching TV all day (and both do exist).

It's what you do with it that counts. (I regard myself as very stupid, because I've done nothing with my innate intelligence.)

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I was always told I was intelligent but lazy as hell. I guess they were right because I have yet to accomplish anything. I think my biggest achievement , intelligence wise, was to learn english all by myself but even that is quite trivial compared to what some people do.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

We're all lazy here, we're forum users!

12. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Never a more appropriate comment was made. If you can't make a girl laugh, feel beautiful and want to dance with you; what's the point? If you fail to see grace, kindness and beauty; who cares how smart you are?

Like many here, since I was a kid, I was tested, poked, prodded and evaluated. I was constantly told I was above average, high potential, and that great things were expected. I can't honestly say that ever did me any good. No one, except my parents, ever just told me to live a great life and be happy. Turns out, that is what matters most.

IQ is pointless if not paired with a desire to learn, experience things and the self confidence to venture out into the world. You're (the OP) 14. Hopefully you'll figure this out.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
    Elton likes this.
  13. KidMod-Southpaw

The whole thing was done jokingly Johnny. As I mentioned in one of my above posts, I in now way believe in the numbers and potential game. That's what ridicules my school life among many others, you as a person in school are unfortunately measured as a person through potential. Unfortunately, unlike you, all my parents also feel the same.

14. Elton

It's an odd mix, society that is. Some desire that attention evoked from knowledge of potential, others waste it away.

Perhaps like everything we use IQ as a form of validation, when nothing else can be had and when we as an individual lacks meaning we resort to measuring others and comparing. Then again, that's classic psychology so scratch the perhaps.

Truth be told, numbers and potential is all ******** anyhow. For example, we could potentially live on the moon...at one point. And if others need to validate themselves by saying they contain potential fine. But to be brutally honest, it's the easiest way to measure a human being at a glance. Think looking at clothing kind of shindig. As I've said before, don't be bitter about how the world judges people, it's going to happen anyways. But if you are, then by all means try your hardest to demolish that kind of judging. :D

15. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks Elton.

16. Elton

Don't even mention it, after being judged for not going to UC (yes I ****ed up badly for my "potential" (see what I did there?). ) it's still hilarious how I still am more capable than half the people who judge me.

And this isn't subjective mind you. :D So take it from a guy who apparently ****ed up his potential, measuring yourself to others is useful, but not an end all.

17. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

I was in a "gifted" program at a young age that required students to take a separate test and scored above a certain metric. I don't remember what the metric was, and my guess would be some kind of IQ test. I could see from the get go that not all the students were equals in retention and aptitude. I did learn a number of things different in the younger years that have benefited me personally in the way they were taught, but I don't feel it was because I was "smarter" that average, but because the teacher had a better way of teaching it than the current curriculum would allow.

Across the country, my aunt was a teacher for "gifted" students, and she felt that more often than not, the students would do the same or worse than a standard student because the gifted students became lazier. If they were motivated, they would do well, but for her, a true test of success-fullness was motivation and work ethic more so than intelligence.

18. Elton

I was just taught well in terms of people skills. Honestly I'm not that intelligent.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

Tests mean absolutely nothing to me. The fact that my school implies that getting a good GCSE grade is "20% intelligence and 80% memory" is pretty de- motivational to a person with very bad memory. This is a bit contradictory to what we've just been talking about but I feel that it is a bad claim. I suffer terrible short term memory loss and pretty bad long term memory. I know a lot of "intelligent" people and most of them also have bad memory. This is why I believe the claim to be bogus.
    We'll see, 2 years to go...

20. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Just finished my first GCSE year, don't worry about it. It's mainly common sense and general knowledge.... -_-

You will find it amusing how many people claim to have revised 6 hours the night before for physics and get a D, I don't revise at all (bad for the brain ;) ),and am predicted full A*s from mock results and class work.