1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project PreChromed [updated august 31]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by notatoad, 10 Jul 2005.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

hey everybody

i've been lurking at this site for about a year now, and have finally started my first project. this is my first pc mod ever, although i have been tinkering with stuff for a long time.

the basis of this project will be my love of shiny things. i will be painting my case shiny black, and using chrome accents. the problem is that i have no place to get stuff chromed, so i will be using lots of stuff that is already chromed, and modding it to work on my case (thus the name, preChromed). On to some pictures of the case i will be using:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    it is an old pentium case. i have three of them in my basement, so if i screw up, no worries. there's lots of room for experimentation here.
    first thing that has to be done is dremel out the back panel so that my motherboard i/o shield will fit in.
    [​IMG]
    can't find a finished pic of that one right now

then, cutting a blowhole in the front to let some airflow in
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

guess what this is for
    [​IMG]

perfect size
    [​IMG]

mmm... chrome ducting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'll probably move that fan forward to be flush with the front of the case later

and then, my parents took their digicam on holidays with them.

since then, i have bondoed the front of the case smooth, and put a window(with chrome border) on the side. still to come, i will be fixing up the wires inside the case, painting, and putting in lots of leds. also, my cd drives will be stealthed, i will chop up a fan controller, put usb ports on the front, and maybe a window behind the motherboard. more pics when my parents get back next weekend, or sooner if i go buy a cheap camera

Last edited: 31 Aug 2005
  2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I like what i'm seeing so far... good luck and i'll be watching!

3. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

looks like some good ideas

4. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

nice work mate:)

5. rewris

rewris What's a Dremel?

looking FULL of potential

6. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

creative way to use a sink strainer. grreat job man, can't wait to see more work!

7. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

ingenious use of the sink plug! i can see a lot of people using that idea now :)

8. notatoad

thanks for all the great replies everybody. i think i'll go buy a cheap camera today, and start painting

9. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

Bondo works great on plastic cases like the one you're working with; it gives you a lot of choice in what your fascia ends up looking like.

Good luck!

10. notatoad

that's the plan. i've got the front completely smooth right now, one big hole for the front intake, and then i will cut slots for my cd drives. still no camera.

also, the entire case, minus the front panel have been primed and sanded to 600 grit, ready for their shiny black paint.

update with pictures coming sunday night, and i'm still trying to find a local source for red leds, and waiting for my plexi to arrive

Last edited: 31 Aug 2005
  11. notatoad

update aug 31

i did some more work on my case today, got the black paint on, and fixed up the bondo on the front bezel. here is what the case looks like right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i had high hopes for this window, but it is really not turning out so great. i cant get the little metal tabs that the rivets go into to sit flat against the plexi, so they look really ghetto. also, i misdrilled some of the holes so i am proably gonna have to cut a new plexi part. the chrome border is the ring that goes under the element in a stove, with the center part cut away

[​IMG]

[​IMG]