1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Hard drive window mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scaryperson27, 22 Jun 2005.

1. scaryperson27

scaryperson27 What's a Dremel?

I was going to do the hard drive window mod and obliviosly left the door open. Next thing you know my dog comes running in and knocks me on the floor and the drive into the toilet. In case you misheard "IN THE TOILET!!!!". couldnt RMA it or anything being that it was a 40GB oem......... AHHHHHH.... i hate my stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Sep 2005
  2. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

you do realize that 40 giggers are very difficult to successfully mod anyways due to the spindle screw?

3. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
    Sorry, it's that I've pictured all the situation and it's really funny. :p

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah no drive over like 10GB has survived for more than a few minutes with a windowing.

I could have a dozen questions as to how you set yourself up for this... but I'll let you just think about that for a while :eeek:

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

why where you working in the loo?

6. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

You should add a window mod into your dog, that'll learn 'im!

7. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

why were you modding next to a toilet?

8. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I would assume he was using the steamy bathroom anti-dust technique. That'll learn ya for leaving the toilet seat up! :D

9. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

wet windows :hehe:

10. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Actually, in theory, you could dry it out and it might be OK... then again, getting ANYTHING *inside* a hard drive is bad news

11. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

hahahaha that's great! i mean horrible cause you lost the drive but the story is excellent.

12. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

:eeek: this is so true, by far i've only seen one person do a succesful "hdd window mod" but died the next day, this probably has to with the "hermetically sealed" and static-free environment where maxtor and others build this things ....

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

there would be a huge market for pre windowed drives... *hint hint segate,maxtor ect.*

14. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

actually i dont know if you guys remember but 3 years back maxtor came out with a "clear top cover" for a 20 gb hd .... which fry's electronics distributed .... i dont know why it never caught up since it looked pretty neat .... guess they should try it again but with some LEDs this time :naughty:

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

1st question, why are you doing thi in the bathroom?? Last place to do a mod.

2nd why even try a window mod?? I mean these things are made in dust free eviroments as a spec of dust can ******** it up.

I dont understand people that do it, even though they do it on a old and small hard drive. Even if you did it and it worked, what you gonna do with a old small and slow hard disk.

A bit pointless I recon

Still its a funny story and a puzzling one hahaha :p

16. iasu

iasu What's a Dremel?

well the humid enviroment within a bathroom if you leave the shower on for an amount of time that is also warm... the humidity is what prevents the dust showing/building up....

also its cool to see the drive move...

17. zantetsuken

zantetsuken What's a Dremel?

I install all my ram and small mods in the bathroom or kitchen, the idea being: no carpet, no static.

18. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i have a similiar concept, i install all my ram and small mods anywhere, because if it breaks, it will be because of me, not my enviroment, ie dropping, stepping on, sneezing on, prying at with a screwdriver, accidently eating, etc.

19. zantetsuken

zantetsuken What's a Dremel?

I do alot of installs for friends... and my budget is pretty tied up buying things for my car, upgrading my pc and going to school in the fall

bottomline i can't afford to pay for mistakes.. even though i'm not paid at all for doing what i do for friends

20. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Regarding old drives. I myself did a test where I opened up the drive, started the computer, and then drove a screwdriver on the platters. Wich obviously made a few sectors break. Then I used chkdsk to fix it, and it worked w/o troble after that when I tried copying files (had .sfv to verify). If I'd done that to a new drive, I don't think it would work after that treatment.. :lol: