1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLED keyboard

Discussion in 'General' started by zerokool04, 14 Jul 2005.

1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I'm breaking the unwritten double-post rule, but OLED stands for Organic LED. It doesn't nessasarily mean a grid like this keyboard uses ;)

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

3. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

I have just found the following link:
    e3-keys
    They offer some kind of individual keys with monochrome lcd on them.
    Now, I presume these keys have been in production for several years, so there must be no problem in purchasing them through farnell or digikey (I did not check).
    But the OLED keyboard looks too much kind of futuristic device. I mean, the idea is super, but let me doubt about a near release on the market. It has maybe over 60 keys, and every key should have its own graphic controller. And there must be some kind of general microcontroller. The whole lot would cost much more than $300 or $400 (even when in mass production). If someday this device sees the light, I bet it would cost around $1000. So, no future for it.

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

^ I read an article discussing about the price, it's going to cost between $200-300 most likely. Unless there's a sudden drop in price on OLED tech.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

each key doesn't require any advanced displaycontroller (can probably be done with a 16 series PIC or something similar)

and controlling all these controllers can be done with multiplexing or something, wich is very simple and cheap.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

Came across this interview today. Gives a lot more info on this wicked looking keyboard.

The pictures are just of a 3D render, not an actual prototype!

Last edited: 23 Jul 2005
  7. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

you know, i was thinking how awesome it would be having a keyboard display the functions of a shortcut etc, and was having trouble believing it hadn't been done before.

then i remembered about these bad boys from my childhood:

[​IMG]

spectrum massiv represent XD

i dont want the sexy new keyboards to be produced anymore btw. everyone else will have one before poor little me :waah:

8. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

9. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Nooooo you should be able to patent the idea without having a product made. That like me saying " A CPU will run 128-bit programs and with have silocone in it" If i were to pattent that, then amd wouldnt have its next cpu. How stupid

10. Rubes

Rubes What's a Dremel?

Those where lovely rubber keys :baby:

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

you probably had to describe the arcitechture and the functionality behind it...

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Yeah your right. Here let me rewrite the other pattent to fit the cpu (im just pulling this stuff out of my a**

A computer processor including a conventional arcitechture having a core, die , and set of pins. Each pin has a special coating, special metal, or any future state of the art pin invention situated thereon for connecting the processor and motherboard. Finally, for controlling the operation of the present invention, a conventional motherboard is connected to the mains and adapted to power the cpu and other devices. To prevent confusion and eliminate clutter, the processor will be labeled. In essence, all of the pins of the cpu have connecting capabilities, but it is at the discretion of the manufacture which pins should be able to connect to their board.

There does that look iron-clad. Lol, what better did have to do on a friday night.

13. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Hrm, technically Intel could release an LGA 128 bit CPU and not be effected by your patent ;)

Stick some more redundancy in there, you know you want to :p

14. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon