1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster I can now conclusively prove that AOL kills computers....lmao

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sunny-D, 11 Jan 2005.

1. Is it a question..

Is it a question.. What's a Dremel?

you wanna laugh.... im an AOL account member!!! HOLD UR HORSES. let me explain. my dad pays for the account and the whole familly has a username. weve unfortunately had the usernames for soo long that it would be far to hard to get evryone to get our new email address if we did change..... so we just went to the lowest account price plan and our now only paying something like a couple of £ a month just to keep the usernames and check our email through the web!!! hehehe. havent dialled in for YEARS
    i fully agree AOL needs atomising for destroying the integritty of the computers sanity and patience!!! :wallbash: :duh: :wallbash: :idea: :dremel:

2. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

its no new news that aol kills computers, now it can just be proved...

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I live a few minutes from the AOL world headquarters. I cringe every time I drive past.

I used to use AOL when I was forced to use dial-up. It was hell! And now, the newest version of AIM installs some crap called Viewpoint Media Player on your PC. :sigh:

4. wingnut

wingnut Minimodder

AOL has been very good to me for years , they send me a new set of installation coasters every month or so. One month they even sent me some installation targets , although they were a little hard to see @ 80 yds. with open sights. :D Cable for me btw

5. Suaves

Suaves What's a Dremel?

6. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

ROFLMFAO
    Very good!

7. Mombassaa

Mombassaa What's a Dremel?

its true, aol kills ur comp!!!

everytime i close aol to shut down my pc.

it freezes, i have to ctrl alt del and end now.

then, i click shut down.

and it comes up with 2 end nows....

then shuting down freezes on "saving your settings"

i have to 10 second hold in everytime

thank god aol is going on the 27th :D

8. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Ive used aol for the first two years of my internet, dear god that sucked. Random disconnects, Aol changing and whoring my default apps and sllllooooowwwww down from hell. :waah:

First week broadband went live in my street I left. Had to reinstal windows98, windowsXP on all 3 comps in the house :wallbash:

Now im on cable, with wireless router.

Summary AOL blows and sucks at the same time.

And I would rather my sister maried freddy Krugier then go back to that.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

10. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

I started to read the posts but about halfways on the second page I got bored so I am going to post. I have been repairing computers for about 7 years and I have seen alot of computers that have had their operating system corrupted by fault of aol programing errors. I was a aol member back in 98 I was online when my computer just froze so I keyed my trusty ALT-CRTL-DEL and guess what? nothing happen so I hit the Reset button and it rebooted and then I got the message "No Operating System Found" so i booted with a boot disk and run scandisk and scanreg and then I rebooted and windows booted.

The moral of the story is that AOL sucks and thats the truth. I have tryed alot of ISP AOL, Netzero, Verizon, Earth link, Road Runner.
    one thing is for sure I will never go back to AOL even if it was the only ISP on earth if that was the case I have enough friends to start a decent mini-internet.

11. xrain

xrain Minimodder

what happens if aol starts messing with your cpu clock speeds and voltages? (unlikely but possable) and all of the sudden the voltage jumps to 12v! :eeek: your poor little computer wouldent stand a chance *poof* in a cloud of smoke and just hope it dosent start a fire. :worried:

or what if it decited to charge your hdd with too many volts and i spinns itself apart, so it is possable (this is why i test the breaking point of all aol cd's i come across)

12. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto What's a Dremel?

I dont know if anyone has ever seen this but on the back of the AOL cd there is actually a warning message telling you that it will mess up the networking on your machine.

They may have removed it now on the newer versions but it was definetely there on the older versions.

13. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

hmm, well, by your definition, im definately quilified to criticize aol. possibly over-qualified. my family used aol since 3.0 on windows 3.1. for those of you not up on release dates for either win 3.1 or aol 3.0, thats 1994. we finally rid ourselves of the aol virus in mid 2004. 10 years. more to the point, 10 years, 4 computers, and countless hours losing our minds when aol crashed in the middle of hundreds of emails. that thing was a plague.

also, in this case, it is not a case of sheep or lemmings or whatever, aol really is that bad. you aol rep. :eyebrow:

Ogami: youre serious? never took the time to notice as i was flinging them from my porch.

14. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

i have been using AOL for 3 years now and it has managed to destroy 6 hard drives in 2 computers (all by deleting the OS and the hard drive becoming corrupt when i tried to reinstall) i am only still using it because no-one else in my house knows how to use outlook or mozilla thunderbird to checck their emails. i have it installed on 1 of my computers and a laptop (takes about 5 minutes to load the program) and there are at least 2 permanently running AOL processes in task manager. i have bypassed the need for the software to access the internet by using a wireless router with built in ADSL modem so the internet is permanently connected without using AOL to work the modem and on my third computer i do not need AOL at all (using mozilla thunderbird and firefox). i do not want to risk losing this computer to AOL also. (I will boost my efforts to rid my network of the AOL bugs once and for all after reading the rest of this thread).

15. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

try low level formating those hard disks which you think aol corupted before attempting your os reinstalls

16. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

thats why i use dead aim

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

[EDIT: redundant post removed]

ch424

18. quantum-modder

quantum-modder What's a Dremel?

Man i hate aol it killed my good win98 machine (well lets just say it killed it cant over clock a celeron 98 without fans:( )

19. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

I've heard so many nasty rumours about AOL, i'm so glad i caught my mum early we set out on NTL dialup. Currently on NTL(i know its not the BEST isp) 3mbit and my mum uses gmail, firefox(even though she's infected with crap loads of yahoo/lycos etc "useful addons") but she knows how to use the anti virus scanner AND ad-aware.

So all in all she's walking away from the dark side quite happily.

p.s. Dont get me wrong she will NEVER EVER EVER touch my computer/laptop :D

20. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Ah, AOL . .

when i've seen it running well, it runs very well (very rarely)

although i'm sick of repairing peoples/businesses computers with AOL on them, they're normally ancient 500Mhz or whatever PII's with Xp and the newest AOL version on them, takes about 30 mins to boot, ages to sort the problem out, may aswell just nuke the drive and start from scratch . . .