1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projekt Passiv-Agressiv - Custom Radiators, waterblocks *03 Aug, FINISHED*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sanatarium, 22 Feb 2005.

1. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

awesome work! i love the front of the case and the flow indicator

2. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

nice job on the shifter, kinda looks like the Greddy/DC Sports/Mugen style if it was smoother.

3. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Nice blocks. Hope they cool well.

Silent is golden :thumb:

4. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Sorry for sort of vanishing into thin air a few months back.
    You had a question:
    Some PSU heat sinks may be charged, mine were not. I tested with a multimeter before I started work on my PSU.
    Generally speaking about electronics and transferring heat. It is wise to use an electric isolator pad, with thermal transfer properties.
    For the TO-220 electronic casings (and others), there are standard packages.

These are the pads and plastic screw insulators I am talking about:
    Here is a Digikey list of Thermal Pad options
    And here is a lot of pictures of different makes of cheramic and plastic thremal pads.

Many PSU manufactures uses these thermal pads on all the heat producing chips, but as they do lower the heat transfere from the chip, one central chip may be directly-electrically connected to the cooling fins.

You might be able to add the missing thermal pad on your power supply your self, or you could add one between the (water) cooling block and whatever fin you connect the (water) cooling block to.
    As I see that you have opted for a direct connection of the PSU to a large heat fin.

5. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

Very impressive manual work! I'm looking forward to the painted case; I'm sure it will look amazing.

Good luck

6. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Impresive!! nice work but If I was you I wout give the front a paint job

7. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Thanks for the info Alvin, my friend and I had a time learning about AC, getting shocked a few times, and finally getting things worked out, heh. I got the issue worked out by simply grounding out the entire heatsink, which made the case safe to the touch.

The entire case will be powdercoated, super mirror black with red flake clear, the chassis will be done in a crisp white, and the small accesories, PCI slots, etc etc will be the same red as the fan in the flow-res.

Thanks for your replies!

8. Sanatarium

Ok, so. Here goes, it has taken a longggg longgg time to get everything together, much longer than i had planned, the powdercoater was late with parts, and there were several complications with certain parts of the system.

I finally got the parts back though, and here are some pics over the last couple of weeks, as the case progressed:

These are the rear PCI covers done in a beautiful kandy red, the little etched markings show through very well.
    [​IMG]

This is the chassis, done in a crisp white powder, also came out very nicely.
    [​IMG]

Here is the top panel, with the super gloss black and red flake clear:
    [​IMG]

Shot of the edge of the front bezel, the flake turned out really sick.
    [​IMG]

This is the front bezel, after installing the red mesh, and the silver power button.
    [​IMG]

Next, the PCI covers installed with M3 Socket head hex screws
    [​IMG]

The new resivior/flow indicator with the outer piece also done in the black+red flake.
    [​IMG]

In the process of installing all the new parts:
    [​IMG]

Interior/wires, finished with some brass fittings and clear tubing
    [​IMG]

The first of the final pictures of the finished product, this is a preview of the new PSU plate, with only a IEC jack, since the PSU is in the front area of the case now.
    [​IMG]

More Pictures to come, Currently I am finished with the case, all that remains is to take some quality pictures. Thats a whole new challenge. Check back in a couple of days. Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited: 3 Aug 2005
  9. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I have been following this mod for a while now and I must say its done in a most exelent way. I aplaude you on your case and I cant wait for the next set of pictures. :thumb:

10. Sanatarium

thank you. its nice to hearthat every now and then...just to know that someone is reading my log along with all these guys with their 40 and 50 page logs...tell your friends! :)

11. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

wow dude, i thought you would never finish this with all your school work and such you had to do! man, it is looking awesome in all that (ATI) glory! haha, awesome. i cant wait to see some real tip top pics! kick butt man. i love how your stuff flows sooo awesome. that flake came out wicked. i bet it looks 10 times better than in the pics.

12. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

wow wow wow. nice idea on water cooling specially on the flow indicator.
    I'll vote for Sanatarium. LOL!

13. (PTK)

(PTK) What's a Dremel?

Neato! Wanna see the final pictures!

14. Sanatarium

Ok, So I took some more pictures to the best of my ability. Not the best conditions today, but good enough. Here goes.

Here is an overall shot of the case, Notice the tinted red Plexi. Also visible is the Lian Li badge, heh, had to keep it.

[​IMG]

Opposite side, and back panel, all accents done in red, :D

[​IMG]

Moving on to the front panel, Red mesh, and the black carbon filters were added. DVD drive stealthed, i know, rather unoriginal, but it fit for this case.

[​IMG]

Close up of the power button, and mesh inserts.

[​IMG]

Interior, white chassis.

[​IMG]

Interior again, notice wires with brass fittings and tubing.

[​IMG]

ATX wire, in tubing.

[​IMG]

Supply to the GPU, notice the etched details on the waterblock.

[​IMG]

Another overall shot.

[​IMG]

Flow indicator, detail of an acorn nut on the mounting plate, plate was just sanded with a 120 grit radial wheel.

[​IMG]

Very cool/random shot, the plexi is in fact red. If you would like to see how it looks, follow these easy steps:

Get a pin
    Poke yourself
    Let it bleeeed
    Shine a white LED through the puddle. thats the color of the plexi.

[​IMG]

Rear overall shot.

[​IMG]

Overall shot, Lights off

[​IMG]

opposite side, lights off

[​IMG]

Front intakes for PSU, lit by the fan controller LEDs, interesting effect.

[​IMG]

Flow indicator/Resivior, lights off.

[​IMG]

Interior, Lights off

[​IMG]

The top panel, with 24 LEDs, lit up in ALL ITS ****ING GLORY. That thing took at least 6 hours to make the LED chain.

[​IMG]

Lastly, a Shot of the flames plus some interior detail, just eye candy.

[​IMG]

So, thats about it for this case. Im done with modding for at least a year or so, Im planning on another hiatus, which will most likely be cut short, so stay tuned. Thanks for reading, I always appreciate community feedback and support. tell your friends!!

15. Sanatarium

Oh yea, the flake is just impossible to capture. in fact, this case seemed to be verrrrry difficult to photograph, even though it was being very passive in its resistance, it seemed very agressive, in not allowing me to capture its full beauty. This is one you've gotta see in person. :D

16. |3|ackAc|D

|3|ackAc|D What's a Dremel?

i just jizzed a cup full after looking at that.. man i love that glossy, man i love the case all ... OMFG I CANT WAIT TILL PDX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope u got degreaser or osmethign cuz dam... im going be all over that like mini on that lazer!

wow that red and black really looks HAWT

/me busts a vien!

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

This is one of the best mods i've seen in a while! I just love the cutting on the panels, excellent work :clap:

18. (PTK)

(PTK) What's a Dremel?

Ill tactics.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

O M G. Got to love this one. But there's few things I'd still do.

1) (Atleast I'd) paint that aluminum sheet where heatsinks are mounted (in red)

2) aren't those power-wire-tubings a bit too massive? Maybe something else would look better...

20. fyes

fyes What's a Dremel?

F'n A, Dude, that looks sharp! Your work is encouraging me to move further from the ghetto-land in which I started.