1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sangaku" New York Times

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 7 May 2005.

1. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

thats what i was about too say =D

just truly amazing the ammount of effort and pride taht goes into a case.

wickky ~

2. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

great, now you can't use the computer b/c it belongs in a museum...j/k, great work, that really is a work of art. this has got to be the first case i've seen made of wood that i really like and it won't hurt cooling performance. absolutely beautiful. if that doesn't win some awards at contests, i don't know what else deserves too.

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

lol, it looks like my shed, but nice job!

4. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

first off, thanks everyone for your praise, i appreciate it a lot, even though the case isn't done yet, but anyway

there will the vga silencer on the vid card eventually once i get money, so that should take care of the air, i hope.

i'm also experimenting with lighting/paper, and i'm gonna post some pics with the paper on the side panel and top, so i need everyone's opinions on whether it looks better with or without the paper, since i like them both

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

hey, everyone, i neeeeeed your help with this, which looks better, the case with the paper, or without the paper. if there were no paper, i guess all of the sides would just be clear plexi, unless there are any even better ideas. u can choose from the pics below, which have the paper, and the ones from the last update, which don't,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

let me know what you think
    thank you for your opinions

6. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

Paper looks really out of place, maybe use tinted plexi and white cathodes?

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Atleast I DON'T like see-thru. That paper in pics however look kinda cheap, so maybe something else? slightly textured paper or so?

8. dex2407

dex2407 What's a Dremel?

yea looks good white but not paper maybe some opaque or white plexi

9. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

the paper is going to make dusting very difficult, opaque plexi would be much easier.

overall i like both so i'm fence sitting on yay or nay

10. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

the way the paper is attached right now is temporary, that's one reason it doesn't look too hot, its actually rice paper, the traditional japanese stuff, here is the same thing on my lamp that i did to give u a better a idea of how it looks when its done right

[​IMG]

by looking at both in person, i can see that its kinda a battle between the traditional japanese shoji look with the paper, and a more modern, plexi-shoji look with clear plexi or something instead of paper. i do have plexi that i sanded and i really don't like the texture, white plexi wouldn't work because of the lack of texture either

11. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

I don't like an unobstructed view to the PC's interior. I feel that you should stay with the theme and use rice paper or some textured plexi.

Is rice paper glued to the frame when you apply it? And then wet to shrink it tight?

I just had a thought. Try investigating the type of coverings used for model planes. There's a plastic material that is used to cover wings that shrinks with heat to the tightness of the airfoil. It is available in lots of colors and is either opaque or slightly transparent. Perhaps something like that would appeal to you?

BTW - Do you plan to stain the top, doors, and fan grills to match the stained frame? I think that you should.

12. Mutiny92

Mutiny92 What's a Dremel?

i like it just the way it is...looks fabulous to me. :clap:

13. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

the paper is pretty much just glued on, either with rice glue if i want to be super traditional, or just tacky glue, and if i don't screw up, it'll come out tight, the light wood won't be stained, or coated at all actually. since its cypress and spruce, it'll just stay natural....unless i can figure out what finish they put on my spruce guitar top, because that might actualy work

14. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I say you go half-and-half. Use paper on the motherboard side, and leave the other one with clear plexi, for a window.

15. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

I still think you should go with the Synskin from tap plastics. But then again, it isn't my money...

16. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

yeah, that would be the plan i think, i'm also considering going paper shopping and looking for something that has maybe a little more texture and a little less stark whiteness, to warm up the case a bit compared to the white

17. Bum

Bum What's a Dremel?

I like the look of the Shoji paper/wood combo but I don't think the white paper works well with the dark plexi of the front and back. What about a different color paper in the screens? Or...what about some painted scenes on those screens to break up the white and tie it in with the dark plexi. Maybe just some black ink line art or ideograms to fill up the space. Maybe something as simple as a character in each block in the screen. That way you can still get the lighting look you want but not have it stand out so much. Just a little brainstorm of ideas.

18. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

those are some really good ideas actually, there is a really nice paper shop that i can go to and see what they have.. too bad i suck to much to paint/draw my own

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

what do you guys think of something like this for the side panel?

[​IMG]

20. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

looks cool. did you paint it yourself?