1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide CCFL from old scanner

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 17 Aug 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Hopefully nobody has done this guide yet, but if they havent, this is a guide about making a cold cathode flourescent tube from a old scanner. I didnt actually plan on making a guide when I made this, so i have no shots of making it, but ill explain all the steps.

Tools and materials:
    Old scanner
    small box
    screwdriver
    soldering iron
    solder
    heatshrink tubing

Step 1: Get an old ( or new ) scanner.
    2: remove the top piece with the glass plate on it.
    3: remove the scanners moving thing
    4: locate the tube on or in it.
    5: unscrew or pop out this tube. its also recommended to take the reflective thing its sitting in, because its reflectiveness will be helpful in thefinished product.
    6: unscrew the inverter, which should be nearby the tube.

once the tube and inverter are seperate from the rest of the scanner, do whatever you like with the rest of the parts.

7: cut the connector from the red and black wires on the inverter that connected to the rest of the scanner.
    8: get a male molex connector and solder it to the 2 wires. place heatshrink wrapping over the soldering spots.
    9: find a small box ( i used a empty pellet gun pellet box ) and cut small holes in it for the wires. the best thing to do is cut or drill right at the spot where the lid or opening side is, so that you can put the wires through without having to remove the connectors.
    10: if the box does not have a latch on it, put electrical tape around it to hold it together.
    11: place a side of velcro on the back of the 2 pieces, and the other sides on whatever you want it on. this way you can remove it easily if you want to change something on it, or move it elsewhere.

heres some pictures of my completed one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully someone will make good use of this guide on how to get cheap white cold cathodes! thanks for reading!

Matt

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

ROFL, this is how I got my first CCFL in my case at least 3 months ago. Its still working great and was alot of fun. Although I didnt keap the mirror I just stuck it in there.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2005
  3. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

I have scrapped a couple of scanners, and all of them do not have an inverter that can be easily started outside the scanner, and most i have seen use 24V for the CCFL inverter.

The inverter i ripped last time had one 24V line that was allways on, and one 5V signal that trigged the CCFL to light.

4. mattthegamer463

well then this guide only applies to some scanners. the one i had worked perfectly for this project.

5. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

W00t for ghetto mods!! Good job man!

6. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

i never think about this ....

i like this guide

7. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I did this once too, but I snapped the tube :waah:
    I still have the inverter

8. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

Hah, good thing I gutted them out of 3 old scanners I had. I was thinking about doing this myself... good to see I wont die! :D

-CollinstheClown

9. mattthegamer463

my thoughts were the same at the beginning, hoping i wouldnt die from something. when i was turning it on i hid under a desk and stuck my arm around to flick the switch on the test psu. it was intense.

10. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

:lol: Don't spoil the fun of it! :D I was going to cover it in a metal casing.

-CollinstheClown

11. mattthegamer463

you find it fun to be afraid of death? i personally, havent developed a taste for it.

12. penaduny

penaduny What's a Dremel?

heh..

not to sound like a ass or anything. its a great little mod to do yourself, and have fun with. but i did that in my first computer when i was 14 (6 years ago) when ccfl kits where not available. :)

i just wish i was smart enough then to try and do somthing with the idea.

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The inverters available inside scanners are quite diverse and come in a variety of voltage requirements. The bulbs on the other hand are universal.

14. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

Not quite the death part, but the thrill of modding something that isn't supposed to be even touched. Not many people do this kind of stuff, and its always a thrill doing things.

-CollinstheClown

15. mattthegamer463

ok, now your confusing me with your philisophical mumbo jumbo

16. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

yeah, did this meself once, just for kicks. bright as all getup... but it clashed horribly with my all blue setup, so oh well.

17. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

Hah, I'm not intelegant enough to be philisophical. See I can't even spell. lol

-CollinstheClown

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well despite how clever you are, I fail to see why you'd destroy a perfectly good scanner when you can just buy a white CCFL for about five bucks.

19. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Way too ghetto for me :worried: I too would rather buy... actually I think ebuyer have them for £2.50 for two 12" tubes :thumb:

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Great idea! But white cathodes have become rather cheap these days... But will check if I still have that old scanner that nobody uses anymore. Hope the cathode isn't already broken.

L

Tags: