1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners first project - 9/15/05 UPDATE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dzikson, 25 Aug 2005.

1. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Well I've been thinking about doing some things to my comp for a while now. I wanted to try water colling not because I want to o/c necesairly but just to see how it is. I've been looking at some of the priojects on these boards and have to say that you guys have amazing ideas. Not in a million years I would be able to think of some of the things you're doing here. Most of you have amazing imagination and tech skills to go with it, of whch I can only dream of.

System specs:
    A64 4000+
    DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
    BFG 7800GTX
    2x1GB Corsair Twinx2048-3200C2PT
    2x74GB Raptors in Raid 0
    200GB Maxtor for storage
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    2xNEC CD/DVD-RW
    Lian-LI PC-70

So like I said I want to do a water colling setup. It has to be both fairly easy to pull off (not a lot of fabrication involved) and most importantly quiet so no triple radiators with monster fans :nono:. So after a while I decided on an external water cooling kit by Zalman (Reserator 1 Plus)

[​IMG]

I know this is probably unacceptable to some of you but like I said, this is my first time modding my case and doing a w/c setup so I wanted to ease myself into it. I'm not planning on o/c so from all the rewievs of this set I've seen it should work very well for me.

The only problem with the avbove set is that the block for shipset will not be available til October according to Zalman USA. Originally I thought I'll just stick a passive HS on my chipset til it comes out. Unfortunatelly I quickly realised, after putting all my components together to test them, that my case will not have enough air flow for the passive HS to work. Chipset was overheating even during windows installation and I was getting constant restarts. So I couldn't wait til October and there was no way I'll accept a different style block the the rest, I decided to replace all blocks in my setup. Tomorrow I should be receiving my PolarFlo set.

[​IMG]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I measured correctly and that the Zalman kit will accept these babies in 3/8".

So today I started demolition of my case. I have to say I was pretty scraed that I'm gonna ruin my case but so far it turned out OK.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

A convertible LOL
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow my first painting job :waah: I'm nervous already

Last edited: 15 Sep 2005
  2. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Very nice spec you got there.

I know what you mean about working on a lian li. They are so good and easy to ruin. You look like you know what your doing though.

Good luck

3. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

No complaints at all with the watercooling gear. If the Zalman doesn't accept them at 3/8, can't you replace the barbs, on the blocks or the Reserator?

4. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

good luck w/ the PolarFlo kit. i have the exact same full kit but in blue. in my DFI board though, the chipset block didn't fit b/c it would hit the capacitors. i could mod the chipset block but oh well. i'm not going to mess w/ it, and my chipset doesn't really need to be liquid cooled anyway. i just put a fan on it instead.

5. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

The flow might be a little low with those blocks. A quick and easy fix is to throw one of danger dns 3/8ths inch 12v pumps made by laing. You could run it in a series with the reserator and you'd get better flow/temps

6. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

First of all, thanks for comments guys.

OMG this is not good at all. I should be receiving them tomorrow so I'll see how it fits. The stock HSF is not an option lol, it's too damn loud.

Yeah I heared it's pretty easy to replace the pump in that set, it can go either inside the Reserator or outside. I would like to keep it inside though. Have to research this a bit.

7. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

No i meant in a series. You plug your reserator into it then the pump into your blocks then back out to your reserator. Very easy to do. Low rick. It's like adding another block to your system on the block would help you bleed and fill the system better as well as cool the system down.

8. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Wait a sec, you mean replace the pump that's inside the reserator (the big black reservoir/radiator thingy) now and have the new pump outside of of it OR have two pumps????

9. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

fozzy?

10. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

Looks good. What foozy means is to have 2 pumps in series like this Res>> Pump>> Pump>> Blocks

11. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm, I see.

How is it performance wise? The pump inside Reserator is around 300l/h and the Swiftech MCP350™ 12v (which is the same as Laing right?) is around 350l/h. Would that be fairly equal to a single pump of 600l/h or it doesn't work like that? If not what would it be equivalent to and wouldn't it be better to just get a single pump with a higher flow?

12. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure about the performance i have never done it myself. you could looking the extreme cooling forum the answer will be in there if anywhere.

13. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

thnx kalm, I'll check there

14. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Well I'm finally done with painting the insides of the case. I have to say for my very first painting job I think I did good :rock:

BTW I'm thinking of using black screws so they "disappera". I checked my local hardware store and they don't have the size. Any place online that sells an assortment of black case screws?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Also what do you guys use to polish water blocks? I'm not happy with the way they look.

[​IMG]

Another question, I just tried fitting chipset block on and it seems that wholes in my mobo a a bit to close together. I can put it on but the screws will not be at 90 deg to the block. They will be more like \ / not at such high degree though. Is this a hughe problem?

Last edited: 27 Aug 2005
  16. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

the dark inside looks awesome with the silver edging of the case around it. nice! :)

17. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Why polish it? you can't see them when it's fitted anyway. And if you say for cooling purposes, then say doh!, slap your head :duh: and then be happy that you are one step closer to becoming a non-nub because this piece of info is going to help.

Polishing does nowt for cooling, theorectically it worsens it.

18. ackma

ackma What's a Dremel?

i bet he meant lapping :confused:

looking good so far

19. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

Glad to be of assistance. Looking good so far. love the black chassis. :thumb:

20. dzikson

dzikson What's a Dremel?

Well every thread I've seen on thses forums everyone was, what seemed like, polishing the bottom of the block to make it more shiny. So you;re saying I shouldn't do that??? And what the hell is lapping lol?