1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much guys.

2. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

OK I am temporarily using svideo until I get a toner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Oct 2005
  3. canucker

canucker What's a Dremel?

glad to hear you got it working using the svideo invalid.can you post a picture or a link to a picture of exactly what kind of s-video connector you are using.i have seen 2 different kinds so far.
    this kind

http://www.svideo.com/msvmrca12.html

i cant find a picture of the type i have. it has 9 pins
    mine has a row of 2 pins
    3 pins
    4 pins
    this is a link to a pic at guru 3d of the connectors on my ati9800 xt
    http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=1820
    i am confuse why that is an s-video connector-9pin,yet all the svideo connectors i look for on the web are the 4 pin?
    i am really scratching my head trying to get this working
    any help is really appreciated

4. Random92

Random92 What's a Dremel?

couldn't find the answer in the 30 pages....anhyway, what is the resolution of these lcds?? 320x240, right? if that's the case then how is it that you can get a 640x480 signal displayed on these? 640x480 interlaced, right? can anyone explain how that works please?

but this really is a 320x240 res lcd? anyone know where to get any 640x480 5" lcds??
    thaaanks!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes, the black border is normal. Sometimes you can size up the image by using little pots at the back of the screen (bit of a luck and flaw process). Much easier is if your video settings have an "overscan" function (ATi's Catalyst panel does) which will simply size up the picture a bit.

The four-pin male S-video connector will fit in your 9-pin female socket without a problem. Only four pins are used, that's why there are only four on the male connector.

Welcome to the forums, Random92. In answer to your query, here ya go: http://www.geocities.com/turbogt22/debunking.html

Yes, it is really a 320x240 LCD. You will not easily find 5" LCD screens anymore, let alone one of 640x480.

6. Juozas666

Juozas666 What's a Dremel?

Hello!
    i connected thrustmaster LCD mod to my pc. but there is a little problem, picture on the top of screen isn`t normal, it`s strained. you can see in photo:
    http://public.fotki.com/JUOZAS666/lcd/

my video card doesn`t is old riva tnt2, and power suply for lcd mod is only 6V, original power suply i have lost.
    so where is a problem (wiring diagram, power supply or smthg else...) and how to solve it?how to get nice picture?http://forums.bit-tech.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=668476#

7. Nexxo

Welcome to the forums, Juozas666! :clap:

I'd check the connections again. You may have to mess with the driver timings a bit, as described at the beginning of this thread...

8. mikildemion

mikildemion What's a Dremel?

PSone screen alternative

Just found out that the Zenith Game Cube LCD screen is the exact same thing as the PSOne screen. Got mine at Best Buy for 50 bucks new. and even comes with the Car adapter.

so if your having trouble finding the PSOne look for this other one.

Did a quick google serch for it but didn't find any good working links to show it. I'll post some pics later if anyone is interested.

EDIT--- Some stats for ya

System: NTSC
    Screen: 5.0" TFT
    Audio Output: 2 x 0.2W
    Operation Voltage: 12V
    Power consumption: 10W
    Operating temp: 5~40C (41~104F)
    Storage temp: -20~60C (-4~140F)
    Operating humidity: 10~75%
    Dimensions (LxDxH) 150x180x15 mm

Last edited: 12 Sep 2005
  9. chronic9

chronic9 What's a Dremel?

i got the screen working on my asus 7800gtx TOP extreme edition. i bought a 3.5mm to RCA cable off ebay for 10 bux shipped. and it works fine. one question, if i decide to attach the VGA mod, would i still be able to use the s-vid for some weird reason?

10. Nexxo

Yes, although of course not both at the same time. ;)

11. Juozas666

Juozas666 What's a Dremel?

Impressive , NEXXO ! :thumb:

12. chronic9

can someone tell me their settings in powerstrip? i cant seem to get it to fully fill the screen or come even close to wat invalid has. i have a 7800gtx and running the screen through s-vid

13. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Im not using powerstrip at all. Mine is like this with just connecting. When I did try powerstrip I could not get it to do much at all.

14. chronic9

what VGA are you running hte screen on? and were u able to get rid of the black border? :grr:

for sum reason i cant play vids on my screen.

15. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, got my x300 a few days ago. There's two models of the card I bought: one with VGA and one with DVI. Almost opted for the DVI (could always use the adapter), but the VGA is the card I saw. Definately a better choice as the DVI solder points are there. Got me thinking (since there's analog pins on DVI-I) so I...
    [​IMG]
    Those are resistor legs shoved through the board. This method will actually work much better as there will be no need to run a cable outside the case and connect to the VGA port or solder directly to the small VGA pins on the board. Stealthed monitor, if you will :D. Anyhow, I chose to use "pins" as my plan is to use front panel-like connectors to easily connect the LCD to the card. Not 100% sure where I'll scavenge these from, but I know I have quite a few cases laying around that dont need any indicator LEDs anyway :hehe:.

The 4 points I tapped in to are RGB and HSync. The two points above and below my pins in the pic are the return ground points. Wasnt able to melt them (duh, they're grounds) so I'm not sure as to where I'll end up running the RGB return grounds to (perhaps whatever ground is nearest - dont like the idea of shoving it in any ground, but it should work correct?).

I think I'll dig up my PSOne LCD and hook it up tomorrow to make sure everything works. Oh how I cant wait to play with PowerStrip!

Edit: Pins are bent as it will probably be a tight fit. Pics tomorrow perhaps...

16. canucker

canucker What's a Dremel?

thanks for the help getting my screen up n running.much appreciated

17. thenikola

thenikola What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I've never delt with dual displays... but how exactly do you get single apps to be displayed on the 5" lcd? I just wanted to make sure it wasnt too big of a pain!... If I'm going to dedicate all this time into making the lcd work i dont want it to be a hassle all the time.

18. Nexxo

You exend the desktop to the secondary screen. If you drag a window there, and close it, then most likely it will open there when you start the program again. With Samurize, you can quite easily tell it where on the desktop to appear on start-up; in this case on the extended desktop on the 5" LCD.

19. AManOfLOP33

AManOfLOP33 What's a Dremel?

Short in screen?

I have wired a PSONE LCD before with a switch and poof it worked great. I have since built another computer and got the car kit for it. I wired a molex and a switch to it. Once I flick it, the comp will short out. It will work and the screen will turn on in the boot screens and such, but once Windows loads, I flip the switch and the comp will attempt to reset, but everything locks up and goes black. My friend had a similar problem with a cold cathode. Anyone know where the short is coming from? It will work in the bios and such, but once windows boots, its restarts....

20. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

NEXXO!@ what are u doing?

i was just looking at some new cfg files for my samurize when i saw yours!

wow takes alot of guts to put up your entire config for the public, i mean it the best screen ive seen made

grats on your charity

Tags: Add Tags