1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CPU Keychain trouble

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 5 Oct 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

It seemed so simple at first. Dremel off the pins, drill a hole in a corner, put on a key ring, and done! 10 minutes max. not so much. the pins came off like a dream, the dremel cutting disk sliced them off 5 at a time, and in 2 mins the whole chip was clean. some sanding and it was all smooth and perfect. step 2, drilling. the thick ceramic is IMPOSSIBLE to drill into! the drill just dances around on the smooth surface, and if it stays in place at all, it doesnt do anything. does anyone know of a way to drill through this darn P1? ive tried masonary bits, metal bits, wood bits, dremel disks, nothing works.

2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

If you can find/afford them, they have titanium tipped bits that they use for drilling into EXTREMELY high strength concrete. And I mean strong. This stuff can withstand 50,000 PSI without cracking. I imagine those would do it, if nothing else will.

3. mattthegamer463

i think my stepdad has some of those, ill give him a call and ask him.

4. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, what size drill bit are you using, and is it new?

Start off small and work your way up is the best method.. wrapping the chip with some tape will also help the bit stop slipping.

5. mattthegamer463

its not the slipping thats the problem, its the hardness, the bit is brand new, 1/8" bit and it doesnt even slightly make a hole in it.

6. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Like james said go with a smaller bit to start. While 1/8 doesnt seem high it is alot easier to get a hole with say a 3/16 or something like that. Basically go with the smallest bit you can. I have made a modem QSOP chip into a keychain it was pretty easy the bit did jump a little at the start but after some work it went in. Just something to think about but you can sand the cpu really lightly with some 1000 grit sandpaper then clear coat it and it adds a nice keychain shine to it(that and it protects it from all the scratches of in and out of the pocket. That is, if the chip has some semi blank flat areas(pentium 1 and such with just a flat top with some writing on it). Hope that helps and if it doesnt PLZ dont shot me.

7. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

personally I used titanium bits, which I used to drill anti-drill lock cylinders.. rips through that stuff like a hot knife through butter. lol

8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

hmmm... what were you drilling anti-drill lock cylinders for? :p

9. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

ummm, i used a drill press, i havent drilled through the ceramic ones, but it worked like a charm on anything else ive drilled, go slowly and apply firm but not to hard pressure, start out w/ a small bit, the smaller ones generally cut into hard stuff waaayyy better, once a hole is in it, the big ones go through like a dream

10. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Oh my just think about how proud your English teachers would be.
    "rips through that stuff like a hot knife through butter."
    "once a hole is in it, the big ones go through like a dream"
    Such use of similes...

Now I want to make a keychain like that too.

11. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

well after i decided to make a new one, outa one of the old amd k6-2's i have run into the same snag, nothing and i mean nothing, will even scratch this stuff..., i have tried many things, and all i can do is make the bits 'dance' around the ceramic..., this is just stupid, ima try a few more things

12. mattthegamer463

ok. so, key points:
    - Titanium or diamond bits are a must
    - drill press is best
    - small bit first, big bit second

are those the main important things?

btw i tried soldering a piece of copper wire to the pins, but it wouldnt stick, i had lots of flux, and it was clean and grease free surface, and i used a blowtorch, and it didnt work. maybe i didnt leave enough metal behind for it to work right.

13. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I recently picked up some drill bits (I believe titanium coated) specifically for metalworking. The tips are very different than standard drilling bits. It almost seems like a cross between a tiny drill bit and a large one. I got a set from home depot for around $20. Also I have some spare p1's around my garage and had the same problem as you with the standard drill bits. I'll test the ones I have out and post back the results.

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

If soldering Copper to gold your going to have lots of issues, The copper will sink the heat much more readily than the gold and I'm guessing you were using the standard tin/silver solder? You would have to sand both surfaces prior to the soldering, and I believe 99.9% silver solder would adhere to both (I know it adheres to copper) Brass or Bronze brazing might work a lot better, A propane blowtorch would be hot enough. Fusing copper to other metals tends to be a pain.

Any know if they are really titanium bits or what, off the top of my head stainless steels and tools steels have a heck of a lot more abrasion resistance and hardness than titanium which takes its advantages from having a higher strength to weight ratio. Anywho I know they are pretty pricy but you can find smaller diamond nitride or other such mineral based bits that have crushed up garnet or what not on them. They should be able to tear through ceramic. For the pilot hole if its really giving you issues, I would use the smallest pilot bit I have.

15. the_fox

the_fox What's a Dremel?

All the general tips are give, so a little off-topic :

isn't 1/8 smaller than 3/16 :p :D :p

16. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

I have a quick sugesstion, has any one tried using glass drill bits, they are diamond coated and specifically designed for drilling glass and ceramics.

17. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

UMMM... wow as i was reading through this thread i was waiting for someone to say it..... KALM said it! GET a GLASS Drill BIT or CERAMIC drill bit they look like spade bits!!
    Also i dont know whay you are ahving problems i jsut use a 1/8" genearl steel wood bit to do mine! no probs idd it with a drill press! you really need some help if you cant drill htorugh it! ALso INFERED ---- THE FOX made a good point 3/16' is larger than 1/8" maybe you meant 3/32" or 1/16". also there shoul;d be no reason he is having troubles i will post a video tonite on me drilling thorugh a PEntuim 1 with a steel drill bit no probs!

18. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

OMG. I cant beleive i didnt relize i typed that. I did mean 1/16" i most have been thinking of something with 3/16. Either that or i was sleep typing again(hate when that happens).

19. markland556

markland556 What's a Dremel?

looks like another person that needs to convert to metric. :clap:

20. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Sorry been there done that my $25 glass diamond coated bit came out ruined. That P1 ceramic comes from another planet
    My suggestion get yourself a socket A processor :hehe:

PS: I was also using a drill press :wallbash: