1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silver Shamrock, 15 Oct 2005.

1. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Downloaded Speedfan today to monitor my temps in general. All is nice an cool except my SATA HD which is reading around 45-49c and once hitting 50c!

Now as my last case had dreadful cooling and the HD has been swopped over to my new case i'm sure it's actually cooler now than it ever has been. Earlier when it hit 50c, speedfan alerted me! Showing a little 'hot' symbol next to it.

I have a 80mm fan infront of the drive running at a low rpm cos of noise. Strangley my second drive (a backup 20gb IDE) that is sitting a few inches above reads at only 27c!!!

Is 50c really too hot? Should i invest in a HD cooler? Or is speedfan being overly cautious?

Cheers for help!

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I take it these are your Maxtor hard drives? (The ones in your sig?). In that case they are known to run a little hot. So long as your not experincing any crashs / problems I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Silver Shamrock

Yeah the SATA is a Maxtor and the old IDE is a seagate. No crashing or anything so i guess it's ok. Bloody speedfan got me all worried!

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

50c isn't all that hot for a hard drive.
    And read the help file in Speedfan, the burning symbol applies to all before you've set it up properly :)

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I ran my old WDs at 65 degrees for 2 years with no problems what-so-ever. Your drives are fine if they're under about 55 degrees but they're designed to withstand 60 degrees indefinately.

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

They should be fine. I see 55°C as the upper limit for hard drives, but since Maxtors seem to run a little hotter, I can only assume that they're designed to cope with this. I wouldn't worry about it :)

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just use MBM5, either by itself, or as part of a desktop monitor like Coolmon, or Samurize.

[​IMG]

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Mine normally run at 25-35, but when I shoved my maxtor in between two, it went at between 39 and 48 all the time. Maxtors run hotter it would seem, even if it was sandwiched between two other drives.

10. clockit

clockit What's a Dremel?

I have two maxtor drives, the older one of the two always gives a reading twice as high as the other. This happens regardless of which software I use, at the moment they're running at 18 & 41 degrees, according to Everest, but both feel cool to the touch. I have been monitoring this for ages and I am sure that the higher readings are false, half the given value is always within a couple of degree's from the lower temp.

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Maxtor runs 45-50, and the WD no idea, but its sat in a silentdrive so would think similar if not hotter :)

Not had any issue with the WD and its been running like that for coming on 3 years... During the summer heatwave the Molex side of the disc was untouchably hot.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Mine is a Maxline III and it seems to run quite a bit hotter then my Diamondmaxes, not sure if thats the extra space/platters or just a different design.

13. Silver Shamrock

Good stuff.

Glad 50c is ok for my maxtor then.
    Just so i know what to tell SpeedFan, what temp would you consider too hot?

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'd say 70 myself.

15. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

60c on the last 2 maxtors I had was when weridness started to happen.

16. Silver Shamrock

Just thought i'd update as i replaced the front 80mm fan (sat right infront of hard drive bays) with a 120mm.

The 80mm was on reduced speed because it was damn noisey!

Now my Maxtor drive temp has dropped 10c!! Now at 35c idle:)

It also doing good with the rest of my case temps as my cpu @ idle is now only 30c:)

Good stuff. Fan was only £3.55 off ebay. Is lovely and quiet and has a blue LEDS! hehe

17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Ya, I've got 2 WD's in the my PC60, and with an upgraded 120mm fan they both are chilled out at about 30C at load :) glad to hear you've cooled em off