1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Moniter need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orb, 18 Oct 2005.

1. orb

orb satisfying.

Ok i've decided to get a new moniter, I havne't given myself a budget but cheaper = better.

I haven't looked at any moniters yet as i need to decide wether i should just get another CRT or should spend out and get a classy shiny LCD, Now if i was a millionare i would go straight for the lcd but im not.

I mainly watch alot of tv-eps and movies on my PC and the odd game if its any good and have friends what want to play multiplayer :), and this CRT has bought lots of horizontel blue lines across my moniter :(.

So i'm looking for info weather another CRT is actually better then a LCD for what i do with it or LCD's have progresed enough to be cheap, look good and be the same picture quality as a CRT. I'm looking for a 1280*1024 moniter, unless theres a 1600*1200 good quality one somewere, but then i'd prefer a LCD because CRT's that big just look ugly IMO !

Thanks for your help!

2. Clearion

Clearion What's a Dremel?

TFT 8ms would be the best choise i think, but they usually cost about $400.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Get a CRT, if you want cheap, and high quality, you want CRT.

Assuming you have the space a good 21" CRT(and it'll blow most LCD's picture quality out of the water) can be had for under £200. You could probably buy a second hand or 19" good one for under £150, maybe less. I'd look into CRT's.

4. orb

orb satisfying.

Hmm, so LCD's still arn't as good as CRT's? Is there any big change with LCD technolgy that will happen soon? I don't wanna go spending out then a new way of lcd comes out and is cheaper :|

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good is subjective. They take up less space, but for £X, a CRT will give you better image quality then an LCD. Overall, also, CRT's have the capacity to provide better image quality.

LCD technology is constantly evolving, its still a fairly immature tech, whereas CRT is a fairly mature technology, which is why image quality, contrast etc. are better.

If you've got the space and don't mind the looks, a CRT is better. If size or portability are a huge deal to you, then look into LCD's, thats all they win on.

6. orb

orb satisfying.

I think i'll look for some CRT's as long as its black i don't mind the looks! Do you have any recoomendations for 21" and 19" ?

7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

At the monment LCD's are fairly cheap, and the drawbacks arent as prominent as in the past. You can pick up a 15" for under £100, 17" around £150, and a 19" for £170.

I was after a new monitor a few months back and ended up getting a Samsung 913N: 19", 1280x1024, 8ms respone time all for under £200, cant go wrong really. Ive been really impressed with it so far and meets my needs, lots of gaming, photoshop illustrator and general stuff like internet and word n stuff. Ghosting is still there but very minimal, after a couple of hours use you wont really notice it unless you go straight back to a CRT, I really dont notice it now and I play games a lot :)

A really good CRT would be nice but its just the size that puts me off, I really dont have the space and TBH the price differnce isnt that great when your comparing a good CRT to a good TFT. If you do go for a CRT bear in mind the viewable size is smaller than the tube size, you want to go for a 21" preferably.

What I would do is go and try out a good CRT and a good TFT, then weigh up both there negative and positive points and see which wins, its personal preference really.

Good luck :thumb:

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

19" crt still has a bigger viewable area than a 17" tft (usually around about 18") and runs at a higher res (decent one anyway, 1600x1200 @ 85hz should be easy)
    the only reason i can possibly think of for getting a tft over a crt is space

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed fully. CRT's are just better, in basicly every respect except for space and looks(outside not screen). If what you see on screen is most important to you, buy CRT.

10. orb

orb satisfying.

Well i think i have enough space for another 19", will need to check measurements for a 21", i do like image quality over looks really, as i watched alot of movies on my PC and just getting back into pc gaming. I'll go look at some websites now for what i can get for my money.

11. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

in my opinion you have to choose lcd . lcd use 12V against crt that use 220V . crt discharge much more radiation than lcd . crt much bigger than lcd . i prefer lcd .

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, I guess if size and energy usage are your main concerns, but personaly, I dont care too much about size or energy usage. I want a good monitor, for a reasonable price, that means CRT.

13. orb

orb satisfying.

I don't mind about the power usage, I want nice good image quality.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a CRT? I have 0 clue what im look for :(

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Mistubishi make great monitors. The DiamondTron ones are great tubes. You want .24 pitch(I think its pitch, the number bit is important) over .26 or .28. You want something that can do high resolutions at at least 85Hz.

I'd look for a second hand Mitsu Diamontron to be honest. They are among the best 22" CRT's. I saw one just get sold in this forum for about £100, but you have to collect them or pay lots for delivery. Still, I think a diamontron would set you up nicely.

15. orb

orb satisfying.

I think a 22" is far too big for my space, as i live in the attic my roofs sort of slope, A 19" just fits under the beam what holds the roof up, i live in france too so sort of buying a second hand from somewere like ebay is out of the question :p.

I think i'll get a 19", does the mitsu thing come in 19" too>

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Not really, there is a french Ebay surely, or if not there are french auctions sites. Look around, you'll find one eventually. I believe Mitsu made 19" diamontrons, and they'll be equally great, but just smaller(if you can put 19" CRT and small in the same sentence together :D). They are supurb monitors from all accounts I've had.

17. orb

orb satisfying.

Sounds good! I'll have a search for some today, its 4am here ~_~

18. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Hmm, LCD tbh. I wouldn't go back to a CRT.

19. orb

orb satisfying.

Think you can tell me why?

20. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

With my setup, a CRT leans off the desk ;)
    LCD, right at the back. Plus I prefer the appearance of LCDs overall.
    With them being so cheap, you can't say no ;)