News Microsoft makes ambitious plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Oct 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

seems very anti-microsoft. c if you end up with a lawsuit wonka :p

well said though, you speak for most techies there.

(give him the card already....dibs on your old one!)

3. WizZard

WizZard What's a Dremel?

Nice piece. Does come across as very anti-MS though, not that I'm a particular fan!

Looks like the card is taken :) ;)

<spelling-nazi>
    thrawt should be thwart
    </spelling-nazi>

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Basing this on facts really, I'm not particulary anti-microsoft - I get free software from them ;). But I do think that this has been a bad year for Microsoft, looking at how much Google has expanded in the past year, the value of Google's shares has also rocketed! The rather large fine for the RealPlayer dispute, and the problems with the iPod being too sucessfull for MS's WMP seem to add up to bad things for MS.

5. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

God, I hope Google wins.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

you should make that request to iGod. ;)

7. kiljoi

:D
    Dear iGod, who art in teh intrawebs...

8. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Reply's : "Ask Haz for I don't noes..."

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

So, who's the evil little gnome at the heart of the Google Dark Empire we now have to learn to love to hate? :worried:

Not only is the gargantuan Google juggernaut (Googernaut?) rolling relentlessly over the writhing wrecks of all rivals, but also they know where we live! :eeek:

10. kiljoi

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. :D

11. BlueDemon

BlueDemon What's a Dremel?

Hmm... well... the article is all over the place tbh, and the Microsoft stabs are a bit cheap. No offence, but I prefer publications to be balanced and thought through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, Microsoft isn't JUST a search engine corporation. I seem to recall they produce some excellent Office and Enterprise applications, decent operating systems (be honest: everybody claims to loves linux, but hardly anybody uses it), quality controllers (mice, joysticks, keyboards, ...) and the Xbox. I don't see how Microsoft is going to be pushed aside by Google. "Google rivaling Microsoft in the software field" ? Right...

Microsoft obviously does have a disadvantage in the search engine department, the more so since they lost their de facto monopoly of personal file searching when Google released their Google Desktop. As a way of delivering ads, a popular search portal is second to none, and the revenue this generates must be very tempting to MS. Money is money after all...

Microsoft does warrant some disapproval in their monopolistic pushing of proprietary software and standards. I do hope that future developments will converge on shared, open standards, as seems to be the case in document formating (converging on XML formats). Apart form that, completely I distrust the whole "Passport" infrastructure which facilitates the tracking of individuals, their habits, contacts, interests. But I'm sure that's all been said before.

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I haven't really mentioned anything about Microsoft other than the topic on search. Microsoft do create good software and hardware, yes and you are right, they are not a search engine corporation. Most of the things in this article are taken from other BBC articles and some other sites, and frankly this year has been a lot of bad news for Microsoft, in fact if you type "Microsoft" on the BBC news website, there is hardly any good news for Microsoft, and Google seems to be doing everything before Microsoft gets a chance. Theres even problems with the XBox 360 and the release date, but from an article I read this morning they've seem to have got back on track after employing more people.

But its not all bad news, Microsoft has seen an increase in profits this quater (here (Was written after my article was written).

But I'll bear in mind next time and try and balance the article a bit. But you will find that sometimes you don't have a lot of choice and have to lean to one side of an argument.

13. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Runs just fine on my old XP1800+, 512MB, Radeon 9800SE with full Aero Glass - just how low-end are you looking for? Aside from the vid card that machine is at least 5 years old.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, good luck. Google have really cut of Microsofts future. Microsoft seem to have been planning to go the way of the net, monopolise it, take it over, use it for content distribution, storage, search..everything accessable to everyone, a real change from their current basic "maker of software" role. But google got in there, and now its google that have the name(who says "microsoft it noob!"), google that have a massive online empire, and google that people are thinking "this could be really big".

I would imagine, that if things keep going the way they're going, an alliance of big names, google, apple, sun...could be extremely powerfull, maybe even enough to bring the beast down from its high horse. Although saying that, microsoft have enough money to keep running at current operational levels for 5 years without making a single sale. But with Apple erring ever closer releasing Mac OS onto a standard x86 platform in a retail box, I'm sure they'd be intrested in a way to get past MS's dominence. Safety in numbers 'n' all.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2005
  15. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

I would have no problem with adsense rooting around in my files, as long as i'm aware of it... Releasing a free, easy to use OS with only that downside would probably do well IMO. I have yet to try out Linux, but i think it's too fiddly for me... Anyways, that is probably a question we won't be facing for some years yet. :p

Tags: Add Tags