1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows F.E.A.R. thoughts thread...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tim S, 20 Oct 2005.

1. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

I'm almost finished putting together my new rig. :D

ASUS A8N-SLi DELUXE NVIDA nForce4 SLI Socket 939 Motherboard
    AMD 64 3500+ Venice OEM 939 wit GIGABYTE G-POWER Cooler PRO
    MSI NX7800GT-T2D256E
    Ballistix Tracer DDR PC4000 1Gig (512 x 2)
    Seasonic S12-600 psu
    Samsung Spinpoint P120s

Now I pushed myself to getting a pretty good spec pc, able to run games at high resolutions with all the bling bling going.. (never been able to before..)

the Ballistix Tracer modules set me back around £120.. And thats for a gig.. Now ya'll are sayin that for the best results on f.e.a.r im gonna need 2gig! Argh! Is there no hope!?! With this spec pc will i need another gig? Am I going to have to sell my other leg on ebay???

:wallbash:

2. Gipo

Gipo What's a Dremel?

I quite like the game, but it stuttered a bit on the demo on my system - 1 gig of ram seems to be the bottleneck :)

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I think that the game is awesome. Its so stylized. You cannot help but enjoy yourself when you run into a room rull of soldiers without knowing there there, turn on slowmo and just beat the crap outa them. Barrels exploding, debris everywhere and soldiers shouting "oh ****, he's wiping out the whole team" "****" "we need backup".

What I didn't like...
    The end level. It was one big puzzle. I must have shot just 5 enimies, and they were all of the mechanical variation.
    oh and those floating ghouls were shockingly under-animated, they simply came straight for you iin jerky movements, i did like the inky effect when you shot them. but they were too easy - I had it on hard.

so i didn't like the en level, but i did like the story, very clever stuff. Oh and blatent sequel doncha think. They couldn't have made that more obvious.

oooo and those cool live action extras were awesome. that kid freaks me out.

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

wow..well i installed the game...and it ran and i changed the settings...then exited...a few hours later i went back and started it up but then it would come up with a error??...it said windows needed to shut down the program and if i wented to send the info to microsoft....

i reinstalled the game....still same problem....so i properely reinatalled and defraged and scan disked....im gonna try it out 2night...i donno if i should patch it and if it would help in any way :sigh:

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I actually found the end level to be the scariest. It was 1 am and I needed to go to bed but I just HAD to see the game through to the end.
    When the ghouls came, sure they were a bit east to beat even on the 2nd hardest setting, but OMG they still freaked me out so much, especially in the warehouse level. When the girl came out at the end, she grabs me and I died. Then again, I was looking through the door and didn't turn around and then somehow I died again. When the girl goes from little girl in red to tall naked scrawny girl, and back and forth, I had to turn the lights on!

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Well hell, I still haven't beaten it yet,
    (at the part where you have to chase Fettel to the other side of the research facility, with all the damn sentry guns)
    , but I love this game. There were a couple times when I refused to look at the screen, because I knew something was gonna scare the **** out of me. I'm playing it on the default difficulty right now, and I'm discovering that using all of your available fun stuff really helps. The slo-mo, the hand-to-hand combat, grenades, etc. It makes it a LOT easier to win fights when you actually use that stuff, (just kind of hard to get used to.) So far, my favorite moment was popping slo-mo on one of those big super-dudes, then running circles around him blasting him in the face with the shotgun. That pwnt.

7. atanum141

ahhh this is takin the piss.....its installed fine...ran..the said i have to uninstall alcohol.....great... :wallbash: :wallbash: BF2 or Hl2 dont have anyproblem like this :waah: :waah: :waah: :waah: ....

EDIT:!!!!!!!!!!!1 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!...i uninstalled alcohol...and even rebooted(i hate rebooting)...and still gives me **** about emulation!!!.....

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  8. kiljoi

That's odd, cause I have Alcohol installed, and it didn't tell me a damned thing about it. I've not had a single problem yet.

9. lmeyer718

lmeyer718 What's a Dremel?

Im a bit confused here. running game on amd 4400 at 2.5 with 2 gbs corsair pc3200xl pro with a xfx gtx and the game give me med pc n custom vid card or sometimes custom pc. also how do u turn on all the aa stuff everything is set to max

10. lmeyer718

lmeyer718 What's a Dremel?

whats pc specs would u need to get a max pc in the auto settings

11. Stuey

According to the specs you posted in your sig, it looks like your system should come very close to this point. If it doesn't, then either the auto settings underestimate or an off the shelf system does not yet meet its requirements.

12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I don't think the game is as great as its been made out to be, its just going around similar office type buildings / passageways shooting the same old enemies again and again. O well, at least the graphics are pretty.

13. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

Well, picked up F.E.A.R. on friday after school...played for most the night, went to bed, went to work, played it saturday after work...and finished it off. And i admit this was on an easier setting, my excuse being that my right wrist is fractured and casted, so i was mousing with my left hand and moving with my right, kinda bass ackward for me. But i also am not a huge gamer and can get discouraged easily in games.... Still fun though!

I agree, lots of fun, great AI, wish the environment was more interactive like in HL2 and some puzzles would be neat. Definately had some times where i was on the edge of my seat. Just wish it had been a bit longer.

Had the settings kinda mediumish and such no AA/AF or anything, at 1024x768...

3.0c P4
    1.5gb DDR400
    Radeon 9600 Pro

Out of curiousity, how long did it take you guys to finish it? I spent about 10hrs but i'm sure i missed some stuff...

14. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

In my opinion, F.E.A.R. is very unpredictable and a very great game. It does deserve a award and ratings up with Half-Life 2 and FarCry because it does bring new elements to the table with slow-motion, high enemy A.I., great weapons, and its very different everytime you play it, you never go through the same kill factor twice when you kill someone. For those who say Doom 3 sucked and F.E.A.R. sucked because it was linear, well I have news for you, Half-Life 2 was very linear also but I dont see you bashing that game. F.E.A.R. doesnt need crazy ass weapons like Doom 3 to be a good F.P.S. game because its based in a realistic setting.

In my opinion, F.E.A.R. gets high scores and stacks up there, if not better than, FarCry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Call of Duty 1.

15. hudzoid

hudzoid Minimodder

Finally got it today but better not tell my g/f just yet.

So far I’m finding it a great game but I need to get on with upgrading this pc.

16. atanum141

how the fook do you kill those big guys with shoulder armour on...where they came from the door like the demo??

i cant remember and just got my ass handed to me. :wallbash:

17. Stuey

A grenade or proximity mine usually softens them up, but 2 typically good methods of killing them is as follows:

1. Hide behind good cover. Eliminate all other enemies. Lean out from the cover and take headshots. This usually isn't a problem b/c the armored soldier stays in the same spot most of the time. Using slo-mo improves accuracy and doesn't leave the enemy much time to fire back.

2. Engage slo-mo and run up to the guy and run around him while shooting him w/ a shotgun to the face. I usually don't take too much damane (2nd hardest difficulty setting) and he usually cannot twist around as quickly as I run around, so his firing isn't accurate or on target at all.

18. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

Like to get this game but think the spec of my pc wont be any good. What do you think

Abit NF7 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08Ghz
    Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb (updating to a XFX Geforce 6800Gs 256m)
    1GB of Ram
    Windows XP Pro service Pack 2 DirectX 9.c
    550w Psu

19. kiljoi

'Tis what I do. And Shady_Jay, my rig is almost the exact same as yours, minus the 9600. You should be able to crank the nice stuff down and play. When I was toying with getting my setting right, I tried cranking down everything to absolute minimum, and it looked like Counterstrike. But was getting like 200fps.

20. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

Yer I tried that did look like that, playing on Medium now and it works (strange :wallbash: ) but might still get a new Graphics card so i can get them high smooth playing settings :)

Tags: