1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IT workers dubbed 'worst dressed'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 18 Nov 2005.

1. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Yeah, if by wrong, you mean AWESOME.

2. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

i wear a red polo shirt white t-shirt black slacks, black shoes, and black socks. forces uniform sucks

3. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I'm still wearing my work clothes from today... camo acupunture trainers, black dickies combats, and a olive tshirt with <1337> spray painted on it (black).

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

does it also follow on the same principles that IT academics could also be some of the worst dressed at university?

sadly, it seems true too!

5. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

we also have itty bitty eyes from the dark rooms and long hours in front of the 24" lcd's

6. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

sence when should IT guys be put under the fassion microscope?

anyway you know those pop-youldieifyoudontsendthisto3000000otherpeople letters? yeah well the only one I ever got anything out of was one that included a quote in the sig. it stated "fassion is so ugly that we have to cnahge it every 6 months"

I say function over form. A polo woth a little coffe cup, centrino logo, sun logo, or cisco systems logo is THE ware for an IT guy IMHO. that, dockers, and a good pair of darker shoes (I like a boot/shoe mix) will get the job done. Short sleeves work for me who ever said long sleeves are the norm?

7. 731|\|37

sence when should IT guys be put under the fassion microscope?

anyway you know those pop-youldieifyoudontsendthisto3000000otherpeople letters? yeah well the only one I ever got anything out of was one that included a quote in the sig. it stated "fassion is so ugly that we have to cnahge it every 6 months"

I say function over form. A polo woth a little coffe cup, centrino logo, sun logo, or cisco systems logo is THE ware for an IT guy IMHO. that, dockers, and a good pair of darker shoes (I like a boot/shoe mix) will get the job done. Short sleeves work for me who ever said long sleeves are the norm?

I think somebody is trying to regualte something she knws nothing about and frankly should but-out

8. careyd

careyd What's a Dremel?

about a year ago, without anyone saying anything (no memos or directives or even encouragement to do so...)folks at an office I was working at (as a contractor, not an employee, I might add) just started to dress nicer. It spread, even to me. Got to say it just made for better working/living conditions and even seemed to improve professional courtesy and good behavior and certainly productivity amongst the 30 or so in the business. And the cool thing was...it just sort of happened. I'm all for dressing better at this point. This stuff works. And yes, I still have to crawl on the floor under the desk hooking up wires some of the time.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Just because it's common knowledge to those affected doesn't mean it's not news...

Jeans and a t-shirt for me always, but then again I'm just a geek, not an actual "IT worker". I've been sporing a red fleece jacket too recently, as winter finally decided to show up (and mighty quick at that).

10. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

they expect us geeks and nerds to dress the same as everyone else? i think not ii will not wear a suit

11. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I wear tailored suites to work so she can kiss my arse :D

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Heh. Well I'm not in IT, but everyday is casual for me. Jeans, Polo shirt (tucked in), and my Converse high tops (in assorted colors - though I reserve the gray pair and the purple pair for work. Red is for fun, blue is for yard work and black is for formal occasions :p ).

And I work right along side the old engineers from the 1960s who still refuse to wear anything but a suit and tie. Go figure.

-monkey

13. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

For the love of God, this guy is either Gay, or Homosexual......

No offense to anyone who might take offense to that :|

14. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

^^ you just work that out?

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Yeah I did. I r SmaRt..

Edit: Since this is sort of a work dress thread type object, I wear casualu to work seeing as how I work for My University. I am a pin mechanic at the Rec Center on the campus and I just wear an old white t-shirt and a pair of old jeans and old shows. The shirt I wear to work is almost black from all the grease and dirt from the freaking Pin Setters.

BTW, for those who may not know what I am talking about, here's a pic of my work environment...
    [​IMG]

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

game tee shirts ***!

17. Strategy

Strategy Banned

I'll wear a suit if I have too, but I much prefer smart casual clothes.

18. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

The hell? Maybe it's just me, but big screens 3ft away aren't fun, i'd rather have my 17", and on that note, i'd rather have 3.

Anywho, as far as IT fashions goes. We're techs, not Calvin Klein. If I wanted to be a part of fashion, i'd have majored in fashion design, not computer science. This bimbo is just the epitomy of a yim-ho floosy. Mmmkay, so here's how it works:

Gorgeous people on top of fashion food chain wear WHATEVER THE HELL they want.

Not-so gorgeous people who make magazines print pics of said people.

Gay people produce their own men's magazine.

Dumb blondes like this see said magazines, and mixing the content together criticize the rest of the world for contradicting an opinion of dress that was never theirs to begin with, let alone being structured at any point in time. She gets her ideas on what to wear from someone else, making her another sheep in the flock, not an advisor. Those telling her what is "in" wore whatever they wanted that day, as eccentric as it may have been, and all this is interpreted as "fashion."

My current job while going to school is fixing treadmills and other excersize equipment. I wear to work whatever I feel like wearing. I could go in my PJs and nobody would care. Some days it's a long-sleeve button down, other days it's a T-shirt, and I even wore a sweater on a cold day, and I might just do it again. But one thing is certain, and almost always constant:

Jeans.

Can I get an "amen?"

- serial_

P.S. as far as dressing better to feel better, I don't believe that that necessarily entails having to move up the formal ladder, so to speak. Make sure you're clothes are clean, wrinkle-free (hell, maybe even PRESSED), and fit you, and I promise that you'll feel better. If you're in a clean t-shirt that is wrinkle-free and a clean set of jeans with a comfy pair of shoes, you'll feel right as rain. Same goes for a suit. I love to suit up, nothing looks better than a bling suit with a french-cuff shirt, square-toes, and a nice tie, but to an IT job? Yahkthx no.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2005
  19. 731|\|37

amen

if I want to look nice I will but how many times have you walked into your little local comp shop and seen the guy behind the counter sporting goods from the men's wearhouse?

20. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

Personally at work I'm stuck with a ****** button up green short sleeve shirt, that’s the uniform, but out side of work I always dress fashionably.

First off, wearing clothing that looks nice, and other people think looks good on you, does make you feel better. Most times what you wear also affects how your body looks. It's more so in girls, but even with men’s clothing, if you wear a shirt and pants that are cut to fit your style of body, it makes you look a hell of a lot better.

And what you wear, a lot of time has a large part in determining how people react to you. As much as fashion may be dumb, people are going to look at you, and how you are dressed, and make first impressions, and no matter what anyone says, that’s going to matter. Especially in a professional environment. If you’re dealing with potential customers, you want to look you best. When I walk into a bank, and see my banker wearing jeans and a t-shirt, it tells me that they can't be bothered to put a little effort into looking good, so why should I think that they are likely to put much effort into getting my banking the best they can?

And wearing fashionable clothing doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable either. I don't wear a single thing I'm not comfortable in. Why not instead of a t-shirt with a cocky message on it, wear something that looks presentable? I'm not going to be inclined to talk to someone with "STFU" written across their shirt, its just tells me they are an asshole. They could be a wicked person, but how am I supposed to know that if they want me to "STFU".

Dressing fashionably makes since, and at least putting a little effort into looking good can change not only how you feel, but your relationships with other people. Plus those really hot chicks are more likely to check you out if you’re dressed well.

EDIT: And jeans don't have to look bad, wear nice jeans that fit you well, and they look great. But not in a professional enviroment. At home, or out with friends, or even downtown you can pull them off, but not at work.

Tags: Add Tags