1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IT workers dubbed 'worst dressed'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 18 Nov 2005.

1. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

I'm a redneck IT person so more often than not I'm wearing camouflage clothes or gun t-shirts. I suspect they wouldn't hire me in NYC or Chicago;)

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

atm bike trousers (over ones) with jeans underneath (just got back from "work" aka college) with a black t-shirt and a army style quiksilver hoody.... tbh i dont give a crap if im "worst dressed" as who gives a crap, life doesnt need to be a catwalk, so why bother? roflcopter

to be honest, if i had a good job with some cash coming in, id still wear jeans and shirts etc etc, im not much of a dressup person tbh...

3. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

To me it has nothign to do with fashon but presentability. If your jeans and t-shirt are presentable.. then its all good.

I usually wear dockers and some sort of polo or sweater. I do it because my presenation is important to me.. not because its stylish. I want to look clean and professional.. But I wont wear a suit and tie as it is completely out of context.

Nor do I want to look like a flamboyant actor having an identity crisis.

4. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

How the hell are you getting away with not even owning a suit? You've never had to go to a wedding or funeral or formal/semiformal event? Don't tell me you rent when that stuff comes up.

5. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

T-shirt and jeans are what make a geek ^^

6. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I say dress for the situation. If everybody else you work with wears a suit, then its probably a good idea to wear a suit. Otherwise, I think khakis and a buttondown should take care of things. As far as IT guys not dressing up, I think a company polo shirt and a pair of plain jeans should be fine with some normal brown or black casual shoes or work boots (no tennis shoes). The logo tshirt tells me as much as I need to know when I talk to someone at a store or business. As long as there is some air of professionality about you, I think its fine.

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

OMG NO!. I Shalt never wear long sleevs on a day by day bases. (unless work can guarantee me a working inviroment that will never become in excess of 70 degrees F).

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Our company has now adopted a casual dress policy, so its jeans, t-shirt and trainers/shoes for me.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

That comment on its own could be dodgy... :D

10. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Suit will always be my preference....but I work in a polo/jeans (bike mechanic/shop staff member) and my next job won't be much different in terms of clothing- Electrician.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Watch it, I have pictures of you with a monkey. :p Photoshop does intersting things...

Oh my...:D

That's just...special. And to think we work with this man.

13. JThrockmorton206

JThrockmorton206 Owl Exterminator

Half-life 2 t-shirt (got it yesterday woo), jeans, and boots. Though im a high school student so dress isnt too important. I dred getting a job with a uniform. In elementary and middle school I had uniforms and I found myself wearing the same shirt and pants for days without noticing. In high school I realised how little I used to change clothes which is rather sick to think about :p. I'm actually very proud of this article. It just prooves that us techies dont care about all the fashion bullcrap and give into the pop culture.

14. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Company polo and a pair of dockers. Fridays is casual day so jeans and a polo. I think that fine as i am moving around under desks and up in cellings. I would wear a button up shirt but for crawling on the floor it is just uncomforable

15. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

Fridays is casual day at my work too but i always casual T-shirt + trousers not jeans but not suit trouser if ya get me and some times a hoody and airwalk footware :hip:

need to get more geeky T-shirts.

oh by the why i'm an IT tech :)

16. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

Socks and sandals all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

17. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Whats wrong with dressing casually if your not in the eye of the customers. And suit / tie etc it just silly for most tech support. I can just see the convo with the boss, "Im off to the dry cleaners to get this shirt cleaned" boss: "What, thats the third time asmorning"

18. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

these are the wrong colored socks
    [​IMG]

and yes, i have some, and i wear them

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

:hehe: Does your mom dress you? :hehe:

20. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I What's a Dremel?

I think its a consensus that I.T. people really don't care what some corporate fashion designer thinks. Personally I dress for the ocassion, I have 1 suit and I'll break it out if I have to talk to corporate big wigs. Other than that, its jeans and a t-shirt.

Tags: Add Tags