1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

God I love that picture... no color codes, no nothing. It just works.

2. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

HO-LY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

First off, love your ammo rig. Im tryin to find that covered keyswitch with no luck. I know you said radioshack, and not one in like 50 miles has one. Can you point me in the direction of that one or one that is close to it. And sorry if this is redundant.

4. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

radioshack hasn't carried that model in years. You can find it on that british electronics surplus website, cant recall the name at the moment, but any UK modder can point you in its direction. If you want an alternative get a motorcycle covered keyswitch. I used a few harley switches and they look alot better.

5. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

probably maplins

6. westie

westie What's a Dremel?

That looks excellent, the keyboard looks good too.

7. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

I found it on maplins but they dont do internet orders for the us, and im not up to saying my creditd card number on the phone.

8. Zero_Distortion

Zero_Distortion What's a Dremel?

yea maplins thats it

9. zmaster

zmaster What's a Dremel?

RE: Key Switch and cover

if there is anyone after these keyswitches, covers or both drop me an email and i will send you a price.
    I live in the uk and am an it tech so understand how annoying it gets when you cant get the only part you need to finish off your custom pc.

i only llive about 10 minutes from maplin and 5 mins from the post office so if any one needs help feel freeto give me a call

P.S. it may cost more than on the web but this is only due to thje postage costs. and all post to the us will go airmail 1st class.

rgds
    zak Wilcoxen

10. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

11. Wolfton

Wolfton Uh... Ok.

I suppose its been a while...

I guess no one has replied to this thread in a while because this is old hat.

I intend to build a PC using the same ammo can. I am in the Army, and I acquired a can just like this in 2004 because I saw the rig in that famous magazine article while I was in Iraq.

I have held on to the case this long, simply waiting for the right time to build it.

I do like the retro look on the front, and I think that Zapwizard did a commendable job rewiring everything so that the cables won't simply pop out on the lightest tug, but I don't intend to go that far.

I intend to build a gaming/multimedia PC with parts I don't simply have lying around, and I am limiting myself to $1000.00 (US)

I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to the parts I should acquire.

I am not a heavy gamer. I really only play Anarchy Online and I am starting America's Army. I know that my silly little laptop with its 1.8GHz Sempron can run both of those, but I want a little more out of this PC.

Once I choose the right MoBo, I intend to add the following components into the case:
    -A mini keyboard that folds up into the case. I am thinking of modding a laptop keyboard or a PDA keyboard to fold down on some sort of hinge.
    -A wireless router. I want the rig to be able to share an internet connection or host a game as a server if I am ever in a location without internet access.
    -A TFT monitor. I imagine that if I can find a decent 12" TFT, I can mod it to fit inside the can, face up and on drawer sliders. It would slide out and pop up in the rear so that it could slide back and mount on top of the case, over the placard well.
    -A LAN Party card. I saw one of these in an old catalog. Its a PCI card with about four or five RJ-45 jacks. I imagine that with the right software, the PC can function as a router/hardware firewall for computers without wireless, or if the wireless router mod won't work, then I can simply opt for a hard-wire connection for running a server.

Everything else is pretty much standard for a gaming PC. I intend to run LINUX on this PC. The games will play in Linux with Cedega, and I will include my subscription in that $1000 cap.

I imagine that I will need at least a 2.5GHz CPU with a decent cache, and a decent ALU. I don't really want one hard-wired to a board because I may want to upgrade later.

I will need a good, slim, video card capable of 3D in both Windows and Linux.

Any suggestions?

12. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Make a new topic in modding or hardware section perhaps? (No trying to offend, just saying)

13. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yeah, re-post all this into a separate thread so it's easier for people to find it. I'll post my suggestions once you've done that so it doesn't get all messed up, k.