1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My airbrushed flames

Discussion in 'Modding' started by A3D, 4 Dec 2005.

1. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

Wow, straight spray-paint hu?

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Yea dude. I wont even show a pic of my first mod. It was a duech all together. I gave up on painting because it really is the hardest mod to do to a case. It's all about the prep work. You should never use duct tape and it should take you about 2-3 times as long to prep for the paint as it does to actually paint. Usually more. I think mnpctech.com has a good guide but i think that's where you got the flames so you prolly already know about it. Sorry people are so harsh. I got some bad hits on my first too.

3. Bobthebeerdude

Bobthebeerdude What's a Dremel?

Yha i used straight spray paint......and only used tape for the skull on mine...now that i look back i could have done a way better job.

4. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

hey bob that paint job looks like a good first go, i think it would look better without the skull and text,

5. Bobthebeerdude

Bobthebeerdude What's a Dremel?

Thanks. But i was going with a Punisher theme, in hype of the upcoming movie at that time. So had to have the skull...and the text...well i wish i did that part better...but the whole case was free hand. So not too bad for a first.

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I've never attempted to paint a case (yet...) so props to you for giving it a go, ignore the criticism and pick out the good advice for improving your paint job the next time. Good luck and keep posting your results you'll improve swiftly!

7. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

thats not the best first attempt i have ever saw nor the worst but heres a link to a tutorial and some stencils good luck on your mods.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2005
  8. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

For a first time it's pretty good, but maybe a little practice before and your the king of the paint. :)

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Hey man, that looks better than my first paint job. :D
    Deffinitely don't be afraid to try it again. Just take the suggestions given here, and try it again. I bet it'll come out 100x better. Good luck with the future mods, and let us know how they go!!

10. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot guys, I am going to paint the top and opposite side now, I will definitley take your suggestions to heart, and will post when done. Thanks again guys, Shawn

11. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Dudley has a fair few modders!

'doc

12. Zach

Zach What's a Dremel?

hey shawn, nice first attempt, mine wasnt asdaring as ure first attempt but i got a few tips if they not been said already.

place a layer of masking tape all over the panel, on top of that place the printed stencil of your flames, much neater to print, and make sure thats held in place by 2 bits of tape at corners, then place another layer of masking tape over that, and u know whts next... cut it out :p then peel it off, and then spray it :D

the most important thing in modding i find is the picture of final product in your mind. if u have a crystal idea of what you want to achieve, dont stop till its exactly how u want it, never settle for something less then wht u want.

keep modding mate, only good things to come.

13. PULSE22

PULSE22 What's a Dremel?

Did you actually use mnpctechs tutorial? or did you just get the flames from there? You said that you used the autobody style method but you didnt really. Have a good read through his tutorial for next time.

http://www.mnpctech.com/Paintingflames.html

You need to use the fineline tape to make the flame shape, then use transferite paper over the top. I'm not sure if it would work properly using amsking tape alone, I'm guessing you didn't use a good brand. Always use the highest quality masking tape you can buy when using it for painting, or else it can leave residue behind and paint can seep under the edges. The Scotch brandis the way to go.

Btw, I'm not putting you down, just giving you tips for next time, and I haven't painted a case with more than one colour before so good on ya. I think I might give it a go on a cheap case

14. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

Woot... Gratz! you took the first leap into modding!

15. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

you mad ethe affort and posted it online and you are taking the hits well. for that my freind i give you a B.

16. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Ok, try this see if the crowd likes it better.
    First mask the whole side, then do some research on what you want (flames) get the best pic you like and print it so you'll use it as model then draw your heart out and use a 2HB pencil so you'll be able to erase.Once it's done get an EXACTO with a pointy blade and cut out the flames leaving the rest on.Spray let dry, take the masking tape off.You can also pin stripe around again use the pic to guide you :thumb:

17. emj1s

emj1s What's a Dremel?

I dunno, I think the spray paint gave it a good effect, lol, just a little though

18. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

people arnt paid thousands for their talents as airbrush artists for nothing.... this isnt to say you dont have the talent, it was just your first attempt. thats painting guide that was posted previously is a good one, follow it closly.

19. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

20. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

its looks ok man. it takes time and pratice. i would suggest getting scrap metal, wood, or carboard. good luck next time