1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoJo2201, 18 Dec 2005.

1. JoJo2201

JoJo2201 What's a Dremel?

So, I was looking for a jacket in my room, when i came across an old ATI video tuner. My first though was sweet!!, but then i realized i dont have a way to get the cable to my computer, does any one know of a way to split the signal between my cable that goes to my TV and one for the card? I would really like to use this card, so any help would be good. thanks.

2. Zach

Zach What's a Dremel?

is it cable signal or normal tv signal ? spliters can be bought at maplins for both types but for cable signal make sure u get right one.

3. JoJo2201

Its just basic cable that i pay $25 a month for it (so im assuming its not just a tv signal), anyways, i was just wondering if there is anything that can split a single cable connection into two independant ones? so that i could capture one channel on my comp and watch something else on my tv.

4. JoJo2201

Ok, i did some searching, i learned that when a cable signal is split with a splitter (like this one), each signal is independant, i can watch any channel on my PC and then any channel on my tv with no loss in quality!!

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

lmao
    all you need is one of these linky for les than 2$

If you look outside your house, you only have one cable line that runs to it, and somewhere under a (probally) grey box there is one of these assuming you have cable in multiple rooms. This is what the cable company uses (prolly a no-name though) and will suit well enough.

And with cable, there is no such thing as an independant signal (tv, dunno about cable modems). The one cable line carries all the channels that you buy at different frequencies (channels) so there is no "personal" signal

6. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

Actually thats wrong, there is loss in signle, but usally just between a couple tvs' the loss is so minute you cant detect it. Although on larger systems, like at my house, the picture can get real bad.