1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 939 mobo for overclocking - DFI?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 18 Dec 2005.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question really - interested in peoples opinions - Im looking at getting one of the DFI UT series and pairing it with an opteron plus a v large hsf! Any other suggestions for a good clocking mobo?

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The Asus A8N-SLI Premium isn't a bad clocker, although I doubt it would match that of the Lanparty. However, you'll find that the DFI is much more picky about components and power supplies.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It might not hitman012, but the Asus A8N32-SLI's are basicling beating..everything :D

They're only just out yet though, they're expensive, and they're problematic for some(sounding a bit like a DFI board eh?).

DFI boards are great, but be prepared for possible problems, it might kill your ram(might, not will), also they seem to have issues with certain SATA hard disks, and just generally break alot. They're great motherboards though, if you don't have any issues.

The Asus mobos, are far less problematic, but don't overclock nearly as well(apart from the A8N-32 SLI). So its up to you, I read all there is to read, and I still had to take a lot of time making my choice, but I went for the A8N-32 SLI in the end, just assuming that if its that bad I can return it and buy a DFI, the choices really are tough right now.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I wasn't aware the A8N32 was so good... you're making me want one now, stop it! I've also heard that the new Asus CrossFire mobo is a superb clocker, although I wouldn't take that route myself.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The crossfire mobo's, I'm staying away from them for now, I've heard some very bad things from more then one person, mainly on the DFI ones, but still, I don't trust the Crossfire bits, for a while yet.

The A8N32 is pretty damn good, problematic, as I said, but isn't killing as much stuff as DFI's do, and some people are finding it improves their overclock, coming from a range of upper level DFI products, of course, some hate it and have returned. I think if you get far enough into overclocking, you really just realise that there are no certainties, and that you're gonna have to try something and hope for the best, if it doesn't go well, try something else, repeat ad infinitum.

Worth it for a £120 FX-57 though :D

6. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Oh thats just great.. now I wanna replace my Lanparty for a A8N32, and I havent even plugged it in yet!

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Haha, I love overclockers, just mention something that might give them 50Mhz more, and they all have to have it. Saying that, I fell for it, mines ordered :D

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll have a review of the A8N32-SLI on the site next week. :thumb:

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Thank goodness for the Distance Selling Act then :eek:

Maybe I shouldn't have ordered mine so hastily.

10. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I want to order one, but I cant afford one :p

got to afford cpu, mem, a case and a monitor :p

11. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

What about the Sapphire Radeon Xpress 200P Pi-A9RX480, (This board is under the tree for me), Looking at Bit's review its's seem to be the very nice overclocker and looks stunning :thumb:

Last edited: 18 Dec 2005
  12. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll have our ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe review up tomorrow all being well. :thumb:

13. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

/me robs his tree and everything under it. :sigh:

I need that 4v vdimm :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Get an OCZ booster dude ;), or, really, Vmod the sod :D

15. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Also I got it for £90 :D, I can't wait to see what I can though at it. Also I plan something like this :rock:

16. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Stay away from the DFI Expert board. Lotsa problems. Sure it overclocks better than the other DFI boards, but based on how many people are posting about how the Expert killed their CPUs, I wouldnt risk it.

17. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Doesn't support Asus A8N-E :(. (Atleast I believe).

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's up btw. ;)