1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Do you like the Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by OutsideSales, 28 Nov 2005.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

My friend picked one up, for me it is a mixed bag. PDZ was worthless, it had pathetic animations, gameplay was sub par, and the graphics were mediocre (for those of you wondering we had it up on a projector).

While some games looked great, others looked really pathetic for what they claimed the 360 could do.

He ended up selling off the console for some extra cash and is waiting for price to come down.

2. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

/off topic/ N is the MOST AMAZING game! It's soo addicting and more fun than some (many) retail games.

I think that I will spend my money on my diy-projector for my PC instead of a new 360. I will just get my friends to bring their 360's to my house instead. :D

3. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

That was one hella good game, hope the big N have something lined up as addictive for the Revo. If not you can always buy it for a few £ off Nintendo's emualtion download services they plan to offer.

4. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

have had mine since launch and am loving it. though i wish there were more games, thats asking a bit much this soon. i have PGR3, condemned, and CoD2. they all give a hint of what this system can do and are all gorgeous in high def by the way. also for anyone who will base their opinions on the demo kiosks should know that the final CoD2 game looks far better then that unfinished code of a demo. it should be noted that 80% of all of these games development time was on a dev kits only 25% of the systems total power. i wouldnt be surprised if these games didnt even push around 15% of the systems total power, and that is no exageration.

5. OutsideSales

OutsideSales What's a Dremel?

thanks for all these great input~

6. hudzoid

hudzoid Minimodder

I got mine today and and i'm really enjoying it.
    Just need money for a few more games.

But i have to admit i have also used my old xbox as much today as my g/f got me prince of persia the two thrones.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2005
  7. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Iwas stood in GAME the other day and someone infront was asking about 360,s and the guy turned to him and said "Imho, Dont buy one, So they look good, but they have alot of problems (Followed by long list), topped by the fact he said, "Oh, and we've had a few returns because they Blew up from overheating :O

8. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

anyone who doesnt properly ventalate any of the next gen systems (maybe not so much for the revol.) will come up with its share of problems. regardless, no system will "blow up" because the 360 (and im sure the ps3) have a fale-safe if the system gets too hot, it will either lock up or just turn off entirely. the big thing most people dont realize is that you have to not only keep the system well ventalated but also the PSU as well.

i dont pay any attention to what people have to say at game stores, if someone is stating something it is more likely an opinion and not a fact.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Why not have a failsafe where if, by some chance, the console were to overheat, that it would catch itself and do a quicksave? With hard drives starting to come as standard in consoles, it should only take a second or so to do a quicksave, surely? And then the console can hang or reset. It would also be a telltale sign that it's getting too hot, as a quick burst of data to a hard drive would surely affect any dma access and the game would stutter before falling over - or hey, why not have the game pause itself? It'd better to have been paused than to restart a level. Then you either sort out any ventilation problem or save then quit/power off and sort it. Then, in the manual, there need only be this instruction "IF YOUR GAMES HAPPEN TO PAUSE A LOT, YOUR CONSOLE IS OVERHEATING. MOVE IT SO IT CAN BREATHE".

There, sorted.

10. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Because microsoft is stupid and thinks there consonsole is perfect already.

11. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

that would make sense but in the real world of business that would make too much sense, but also such a feature would be more up to the individual game developer then the console manufacturer. also hard drives arent standard in any of the next gen systems so maybe the idea could be implemented in the next next gen of systems. atleast they are putting fail safes in the systems to protect the system which is more important to me then just some save spot.

anyone who spells console as consonsole SHOULDNT be calling anyone or anything stupid. also if you read the statement right hes talking about consoles in general but of course you have to go for any reason to throw insults and point fingers.

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

A failsafe would be good. I guess it really depends what fails though. If the system is going to crash then I'd rather it not decide to start writing save data to a gard drive as a power cut mid write isn't too healthy. A better way to do it would be to implement some kind of small, solid state drive, possibly even save data to some RAM if you can garauntee there will be no complete loss of power.

I like the PSP as if the battery dies during anything, finding some power and turning the machine back on, it continues exactly where you left off. Very handy when you're playing on a train and want to play every for last minute!! No need to worry about saved games etc!

Of course a better thing to do would be not to make your console a curvy shape as by doing this you reduce the space inside, impeding airflow in a system that is already running stupidly hot. Then, once you've designed the console so it's functional rather than a nice looking radiator, stick in a few large, low rpm fans. Job done!

Off topic:
    LMAO, you two should kiss and make up! This section is being taken over by your slanging matches ;) :D :hip: :worried: :thumb: :naughty:

13. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

i see your point and agree but like i said the fail safe is intended to protect the system. many games use different methods and formats of saving so there are probably many more reasons then we realize why saving before a crash isnt being done.

i like how the system is designed, at first i didnt, but it has grown on me and once i finally saw it in person it didnt look cheap like i thought it would. when holding it, you can tell its quality hardware. however you cant please everyone and one of the most common complaints to the original xbox was the size so it was one of microsoft's priorities. like i said before, other then the revol., the ps3 and 360 will both have bleeding edge silicon that will be damn hot (the ps3 dev kits are twice the size of a PC tower for crying out loud) so i dont think that there will be that many ways around designing a sleek, sexy, and cool system at the same time. there arent many problems with the initial design, its just that proper ventalation is being stressed and enforced more then any previous gen.

as for kissing and making up, that isnt up to me. im new here and he has attacked and tried to insult me from the start. im a very open minded gamer, who has done plenty of research, developer insights (interviews or "what nots"), and am just excited in general about the next gen. he however likes to downplay anything i have to say (usually with an insult) with little to no proof, while i make good unbiased valid points with good reason, he obviously doesnt like MS loves sony and is totally blind by it while i honestly dont care for sony (business practices, crap products, etc.) that is from a long time of research and home theatre research (disliked them long before PS1 came out) but i still give credit where its due. i read this post in another forum and it sums him up pretty good IMO.....

and before any flaming starts i got this out of a HOME THEATRE forum, not a xbox or sony-hating forum. this is from people who care most about high-def.

i have a realistic expectations of the next gen, some people dont and will believe anything that is fed to them.

14. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

IMHO it is the best system that I have had. I like it not only for the games but for the way it can work with a media center and with your computer to stream music and photos. I know that photos i took on my 5MP camera look good on my 52" HDTV!

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

For me its not worth it yet, mainly that there hasn't been any good games for the price point. Right now almost everything seems like a port. but hey I'm not expecting much as it sounds like a particularily rushed release. wait maybe what? 1 year we should see some good titles then.
    honestly I think the only ps2 launch title I've played recently is gauntlet and smash bro melee for GC.
    I'm going to go just by games and gameplay and right now the 360 seems like a void. It obviously has potential though.

16. Fiver

Fiver What's a Dremel?

Apart from the press statement they released saying how 'crap' 'ps3' 'was' 'compared' to '360', which many websites reported as being near-fact...

/gimme a snes tbh. But MS will still win. I base this conclusion on the fact that their system is most like a copy of FHM.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2005
  17. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

I have had my 360 since Nov 19 (won it through the Mt. Dew promo) and it has been awesome. It is quite loud but that seems to only be when the DVD drives spins up like crazy to load levels relatively quickly. Games look amazing in hi def, especially NFS:MW and PGR3. The roads look like real roads, rain, buildings, the lighting, all of it looks good. I cant wait for some second and third gen games to come out and really show how hot the graphics can look. :eek:

18. Briggsy

Briggsy What's a Dremel?

i LOVE my x360. my friend has one however his crashes a lot, i think its to do with where he keeps his PSU though.

19. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

My xbox 360 is amazing, got 5 games for it and 2 extra faceplates, no problems wat so ever but i can not wait until they release a game that uses all of the cores.

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I have mixed feelings about the the 360. This isn't to say I don't like it. It's ashamed that I finally had a sparked interest in the Xbox 1, and now Microsoft has dropped support of it all together for the 360 now. Not enough games, and what games they do have, a few I can get on PC anyway. PDZ looked alright, the Sports game look awesome, but after reading reviews about Madden losing some it's content just to push those graphics kinda put me off. I'm waiting to get the 360, mostly because the games I am dieing to play on it haven't been released. I can't wait for Elder Scrolls and Gears of War. When those are released, I will probably buy the 360.

Tags: