1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning The Pc, Need Help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cool_dude, 30 Dec 2005.

1. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

hi all,

My pc has a lot of dust inside, and im wondering if anyone can offer some tips?

An easy option for me would be to use a hoover (vaccumn (sp?) ) and go over the components with a brush nozzle attatched to the end. Would it be ok to do this?

Ive got compressed air and it is good for the tight gaps, but its not really good for cleaning big stuff like the motherboard, as it just blows all over the place, and the dust ends up going back onto the mobo (eventually)

Are there any tips/suggestions on how to get rid of dust, in an easy, safe way?

Thanks,
    cool_dude

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Don't use a hoover, the static electricity produced by it could kill your whole PC. I use a combination of prevention(dust covers), compressed air, and paint brushes.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

cant argue with a good old manual blow either (yeah so that sounds real bad)

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you keep the vacuum cleaner nozzle away from the components if you're worried, blasting it with compressed air will cause it to be sucked out.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

blasting something with compressed air causes exactly the same static as sucking the air off with a hoover. Just dont go touching the hoover to the parts, use a gentle brush to get the dust loose then suck it off. There's absoutely NO point in dusting it without removing the dust otherwise you'll just suck it straight back in.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I use a vacuum cleaner nozel held near the area you're cleaning, and then do teh cleaning with a large artist's paint brush (natural bristles, not artificial ones). Always done this for years.. never had a problem of any kind.

7. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I Vaccumed my heat sink yestaday, striaght with the nozzle, Is that bad? :worried:

EDIT: sorry for the off topic-ness

8. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

So why is it that my mate runs his hoover nossle (that has brushes on) all over his mobo (on the back, on the front, over the chipset fan etc) and his motherboard is perfectly working?

Cleaning takes so long, and i get dizzy after using my lungs :p afer about 6 huge blows :/

any other tips?

c_d

Last edited: 31 Dec 2005
  9. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

yeh, i'm cool_dudes mate:p

I always use hoover to clean my pc and have been for the past 2 years, Has never harmed me and nothing has ever died on me.

You can all flame me if you want but dont worry, I'm not bothered as hoover never killed my hardware