1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding A Call to All Modders/ Designers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Static Lullaby, 1 Feb 2006.

1. Static Lullaby

Static Lullaby What's a Dremel?

Definately! Nice looking work there btw! Thanks for the submission and good luck to you.

If you care to e-mail the .skp file to me that will help out a bit as well. Thanks!

2. Mysterae

Mysterae What's a Dremel?

Thanks SL.

Unfortunately the skp file is a bit big to email at 6mb! It also requires a bit more fettling and I'd like to keep it close to my chest for the time being!

3. Static Lullaby

Not a problem. @ all I understand. If you would like to send it later on you can compress it and send it to my e-mail. I have a g-mail account right now so it does accept files that large. If you would rather keep it close to your chest for the time being, by all means please do, but if it is selected for the top 5 it may be required.

4. Mysterae

Mysterae What's a Dremel?

Of course if it's selected there's no problem in sending it. By that time I should have all the construction bits and strength testing complete. I may even have water flowing in it (waiting for Aquacomputer to manufacture and distribute the water blocks for the X1900 gpu).

5. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Went to the uni metal works department today and they told me that my design is not feasable as welding such long pieces of alumininium on the front and back panels would cause it to warp.

Does anyone know if this would work with steel?

6. ajampaniki

ajampaniki What's a Dremel?

Steel is alot easier to weld then aluminium. You have to heat the aluminum to such a high temperature that it will deform. This isnt the case with steel. You could just spotweld that and touch it up afterwards.

7. Static Lullaby

This is what I like to see... helathy competition and designers helping each other out! :rock:

8. ajampaniki

Am i the only one that is finding it very hard to come up with a good layout to fit all the components you want in it without making the case to big? Myabe i'm making it to hard for myself by wanting the perfect layout that gives the easiest usage and nicest looking combo of parts.

9. niktard

niktard What's a Dremel?

i think it's because you think higher for you case, you can easily integrate 3 5.25" bay + 1 3.5" in front...but hard to imagine a " original - easy to build - and design " case ... put all your idea on paper or look a lot of mod, design object and "imagien a case " ;)

i have find my last project for this contest this afternoon , looking a advertising about settee ! LOL

10. Static Lullaby

I have been toying with a few ideas myself and have actually designed a few in sketchup that are not too large and can fit in a LOT of stuff. All while keeping a good flow. (the contest has me pondering new designs for my own system:D)

Sketch out a few by hand and toy around w/ different layouts... THEN build the case you envision around it. I did this just today. Laid out the MB, PSU, Drives, etc... the way I envision them fitting into my personal case, then began building the concept up around it.

11. Static Lullaby

Nicktard... you should post up your submissions here as well if you get a chance. I know they are over @ Casemodgod.com, but it may help some here to see what is going on with that submission as well. :D

12. niktard

niktard What's a Dremel?

LOL..in fact you're searching some idea asking to others modders to create a original and design case for you own usage, then you wil submit a solution and leave with the 5000$ price... ^^

i'm joking of course ...i think each modders inspirated themself from other modders or other object which around them in life...

as Cezanne said : you can only have a concept or idea, when you open your eyes and your mind watching around you, then when you close it, you imagine how to turn it into reality .

edit :

so i'll to explain you mine :

1st entrie :

i think to use each point of mu two project work in progress :

DSIGN 3 Lost paradise - for the conception and global visual of the case :

[​IMG]

and the same black color, and art engraving than my other project ( an HTPC ) , DSIGN IV :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

( you can see them in the modding section on CMG forum
    :wink: )

so that's my entrie for the design contest ...:

[​IMG]

the case, empty, with the black acrylic inside ...there is a " alchemic logo " engravic on the left with white led which enlightened it . Behind this balc acrylic panel there is the 2x120mm fans radiator, the laing pump, the media reader, and drive...:

[​IMG]

but those black acrylic can be enlightened with some led, and you can choose what you want to see engrave, i have made some example :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or with a ying-yang drawing, and the watercooling install ( i think a black tube will be more appropriate for the visual , but uv tubes can be nice too... )

[​IMG]

as you see the main color will be black & white...

an idea of the front :

[​IMG]
    the VFD display are nice for black case...the radiator use for this sketche is a chillguard . that's why we can see this blue color..

with the panel instzall ( it will be the same draw cut in the aluminium than the front )

[​IMG]

or with the front and the top engraved :

[​IMG]

and an idea of the top , just a sun cutting like the logo of your company , with an acrylic window to watch the DVD ROM when it's in function.

[​IMG]

2nd entrie :

[​IMG]

This case mod looks like to the lian li V2100 ( think for µATX motherboard.. )
    the line in front of case are the same than the ACS logo, they will be enlightened with engraved plexi and white led.

by night thje ying-yang logo will appears using an ACRyan uv blue acrylic to make appears a ying illusion ( or yang ?which is the white ?? ^^ )

3rd entrie :

my last entrie in this contest, i have think to thus case when i was to a settee shop , i told " hey, why don't try to imagine a pcht which will be in harmony with all the part of a modern living room....like if it wasn't a pc case but a furniture ( like any desk ) .

sO let's see my sketches up

fist, the paper sketches :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then the photshop work ( scuze for the quality but it's take me 6hour , all the nigh working with photshop....now i'll go to sleep, it's hurry up ! ^^ )

[​IMG]
    as you see the blowhole will be in aluminium mesh...under each drive there is some white enlightened acrylic...

60cm in side view , and 15cm in front view, then 38cm for the opposite side.

[​IMG]

the different part and their location inside the case .

[​IMG]

the case in black acrylic with is top engraved.

And a simulation "by night "with watercooling , white led illumination with engraving and all around the case into acrylic...etc...

[​IMG]

enjoy and good luck :dremel:

Last edited: 15 Feb 2006
  13. Static Lullaby

As I said before on Casemodgod... excellent work!

14. niktard

niktard What's a Dremel?

i was thinking that for the 1st entrie, customers could choose their engraving on their futur case ... that would be a great possibility to offer more choice for the customer ( different engraved acrylic for each part of the case , then the customer just need to screw the engraved panel on his new order ! ^^ )

15. Static Lullaby

Actually, that is part of our thinking. Color/ customization options for customers. Dependent on the case chosen, we may offer different color panels, etched logos/ designs, etc... :D

16. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Well ive been designing mine for about 3 months and has gone through many revisions. just start on something and build on it from there. Yeah you might have to remake it a few times but i found i was having more artistic ideas when actually modelling it in sketchup

17. ajampaniki

Niktard: I dont wanna criticize your design work, it all looks great, but in the first entry, wont the case be like very deep? If you put the psu, hd and normal drives behind each other it will become very long.

Whyle on the subject: are there size limitations? I asume u dont want a case that is 1mx1m and would need a lift to move it. I've been working off the size of a bigtower like the stacker or a big lian li. But when seeing some of the designs here it seems like I'm thinking to small.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2006
  18. niktard

niktard What's a Dremel?

all critize is good to hear ;)

for the 1st entrie i place all the harware part into my project " DSIGN III " which is not completed, so i could have seen if all the drive, hdd, and psu could enter with this location inside....and they can ! ^^

how long the case is ? around 50cm x 50cm ( 21cm in large )

is not too long i think ;)

for the rest i havedited my post with the last entrie worked yesterday night !

19. ajampaniki

Keep in mind u need to have some room for the kabels and stuff. I'm getting anoyed by my dragon case when i have to change a hd or something. And my case isnt that small at all.

20. niktard

niktard What's a Dremel?