1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project - Black´n´Blue - 5/4/06 - Case pictures - page 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Thizen, 9 Oct 2005.

1. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#61 .. In this week I´m at a company to try out the education as machine worker.. So I can use the lathe freely..

Yes it´s a cube with 3 attachment points.. is with M3 thread, the screws just look really big because the screw head is big.. I´m using M3 stainless steel Umbraco bolts instead of those gold ones though..

Kind regards Thizen

2. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Hey.. Made some new things on the lathe today.. Made these fittings, so that I can mount a normal 90 degree fittings on the outside of the chassie, run the water through the sidepanel and mount a hose on the inside...

I made 2 of these things in alu, I must say, it wasn´teasy to make the first one, as I had to figure out a lot of things, but I did suceed in making a good one, and then I made another one like it :)
    Also made the spacer, but not the nut. Beware, they aren´t finished, I still need to fix the details so that they look really nice :) probably gonna polish them too...

Also, I fixed the finger screws for the reservoir cap, so that they look nice by now, but still need some cleaning..

Made a quick skecth to show you my plan for the reservoir holders.. gonna make them tomorrow, the skecth is missing 2 small holes in the bottom of the circles..

Here´s some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think so far :)

Kind regards Thizen

3. phenix

phenix What's a Dremel?

ok but how long are they and from what company/website are they from?

cause i was thinking of these

cubes...
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cpa-84.html

Screws..
    5mm - http://www.frozencpu.com/scr-52.html
    8mm - http://www.frozencpu.com/scr-51.html

EDIT:

btw im really impressed with your polishing skills lol

can you plz step by step tell me how to polish ...lets say my dvd-rom like that ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2006
  4. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Looking good that tank :D

5. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#64.. yes it´s the exact same corners and screws, but they were with the case when i bought it, so I don´t know where to buy them besides frozencpu..

Thank you :) Well, it´s really simple... But not as simpel on psu´s and dvd/cd drives, as they normally have coat of grey color which seems like some kind of base paint. It´s really hard to get of, so I started with P240 dry, while pouring rubbing alcohol on the paper, then it was fairly easy to remove, then I used P400 for a long time to get the deep scrathes, and then P600, p800, p1000, p1200 and finally a peice of cotton clothing and some autosol to polish with.

But beware! I used a lot of hours on that dvd drive! it´s a hard job, but it´s possible!

#65 Thank you :) just wait til I polish it, it will look sweet man :)

Kind regards Thizen

6. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Huge (aluminium) update :)

Hey folks! I´ve got a big update for you today.. I spend 12 hours at the workshop, not saying I used 12 hours on the stuff, I was just there :)

Well I turned 2 plates that measures 80.05x5 mm to fit in my 80 mm fanholes in the side of the case, so that I might but some putty on top before painting the side, so they are only made as a piece of metal to fill out the hole, that´s why they look so rouf..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished turning the passthrough fittings and I made an extra spacer ring for the outside, it should make the fittings look more "clean".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned this waterblock a couple of days ago, but today I finished it. The cnc mill ran a 2 mm mill through the center rings in a cross, it should give plenty of contacts with all those rings.
    Do you think I should put a copper ring in this one too?
    Oh yea, and the bottom just got faced off by the cnc face mill. 10 seconds later I had a perfect surface of one to a thousands of a millimeters accuracy :) now that´s nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I had the brackets for the reservoirs made on a cnc mill, they meassure: 140x65x10 mm when assembeld. They are made in to seperat pieces which can be boltet together with M4 Umbraco screws :)
    I´m really impressed but the accuracy of the cnc mill, the circles are just soooooo clean cut, you wouldn´t believe it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are mounted, as they should sit when placed on the side. (I think so)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEASE give me some comments in the discussion thread :)

REMEMBER THIS! Non of the parts are completly finished, they all need to be polished !!! I will go down an do that right now :)

Oh, one more thing! I made these. Can you guess what they are for? :)

[​IMG]

Kind regards Thizen

7. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Polished stuff

Hey.. just spend most of my day in the basement, polishing some of the stuff I made during the week.. I´ll let the pics talk for themselves :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind regards Thizen

8. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

All the part looks so sweet when it polished *droool*

9. customh

customh conflagration.

Does lookk sweet, what are those spreaders from, are they going in cuz they look sweet.

10. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#67.. Thank you again :)

#68 What parts are you talking about when you say "spreaders" ?

Kind regards Thizen

11. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

I guess he's talking about your memory heatspreaders you use on the pictures showing the polished dvd drive. Nice work on the polishing, must have been a tedious job, but it looks so damn sexy :thumb: .

12. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#70 Oh yea okay.. Thanks :) yes it´s pretty much the same over and over again, but with the stereo playing Metallica in the back helps A LOT :D

#68 The heatspreader (if that´s what you are talking about) is from a new company called Vizo, i tested it for the firm. It´s not going in the mod, a copper version is going in it.

Kind regards Thizen

13. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

Extreme eye candy

Hello again.. got some real nice for you this time.. finished the reservoirs :)

I was speechless when I was done assembling them, they have turned out way better than I expected.. it´s .. it´s just pure eye candy.. check them out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEASE tell me what you think, in the discussion thread..

Kind regards Thizen

14. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Those poished sylynders sooks real sweet! I love polished aluminium! :D

15. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#72.. yea, well actually the most shiney part is the ends.. and that´s stainless steel.. it´s way easier to polish.. but If i had made it all from stainless steel, then it would weigh a ton :\

.. Kind regards Thizen

16. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Hehe, and it would cost much more :p

17. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Lovely, absolutely lovely.

18. HapeMask

HapeMask What's a Dremel?

Ooh shiny! All the polishing looks great, and an absolutely stunning job on the reservoirs, keep up the sweet work :D

19. Thizen

Thizen What's a Dremel?

#74 you´ve got that right :)

#75 Thanks :) I agree

#76 Thanks.. I will :)

Kind regards Thizen

20. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I just bought 20 of those cubes from FrozenCPU and recieved them a couple days ago. In fact, I was the one who made them put those measurements of the cubes on the website since they didn't have anything before. I would have to say that FrozenCPU is very reputable and trustworthy. I had no problems ordering and they were very kind about responding to my questions via e-mail.
    But yeah, anyway... They are pretty nice and I plan to use them for my next project (which is a custom acrylic case). I also plan to get my own screws to use with them, those gold ones they sell on the site are just ugly as heck. I'm going to get some black 10mm long M3 button head hex cap screws from McMaster-Carr (Part# 91239A115), a much more classy look if you ask me :naughty:

The only other place I found something similar was at Mountain Mods but they are not square and cost slightly more (although they still have the same 3mm thread insert).
    Hope that helps a little...