1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks HP OmniBook 6000, Damaged Power Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolff000, 6 Jan 2006.

1. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I recently acquired an HP OmniBook 6000. Everything on it is fine minus the power jack. The last owner said everything works but since the power jack broke there is no way to charge it. I have dismantled it and found the power jack is shot. It looks like someone tried to shove the power cord in and busted the plastic surrounding the metal post. I am not all that great with laptops and have no clue how to fix. :wallbash: Another set back is my camera is still MIA from my recent move. Once it is found I will post some pictures to help. If any other info is needed please ask. I will be more than happy to supply it.

***Update***
    Well it looks like I posted a bit prematurely in my research on this. It seems this model is notorious for this problem and it is easy to pick up the power jack on ebay. I just ordered one and will hopefully be installing soon. Now I just have to figure out what i'm going to do with this thing. Hmm perhaps its time I had a digital picture frame. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2006
  2. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I have the same problem with my Pavilion. You'll find out that this is a common problem for HP and Compaq laptops if you make a search in Google. I've decided to stay away from HP products from now on.

I found the official guide from HP on how to disassemble my notebook and i already done it once just to check the level of difficulty, it's not that difficult but I have to buy a new jack and I'm still looking for a supplier within the EU. BTW I have already sent my laptop to HP once and they replaced the jack ..it broke down again after a year.

3. wolff000

i wouldn't have got this one if i had to pay anymore than i did for it, 30£/$60. sweet deal especially since it came with a wifi card, spare hard drive, and swappable floppy and cdrom. :rock: anyways i desoldered the old jack (a huge pain by the way the solder would just not come off) and got the new one on and it works but only if i keep pressure on the cord. i think the jack my be a slightly different size or maybe i didn't do something right, although i'm sure my solder job is ok even if though it looks like crap. also the battery won't charge maybe dead maybe something else is wrong doesn't really matter as i am prolly ditching the case shortly for a wall mounted version. that way the wife doesn't have to leave the kitchen to check a recipe. well if anyone has a clue on how to test the battery situation or keep the ac cord in place without duct tape please let me know.

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i had this problem... luckily i blagged it as a health and safety issue and they swept it off to germany to be repaired.

5. wolff000

Considering this laptop has passed hands a couple of times and that I voided the hell out of the warranty by fixing the power jack myself I doubt HP would oblige. I'll be damned if I pay thier ourageous prices for repair. Just because I know its coming since I used the "W" word I'll say it myself. Warranty? :eyebrow: What is this warranty you speak of?

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Damn power sockets on Compaq's/HP's, theres about 6-10 laptops with the same problem in my office at work, Teachers and Students just abuse the things so badly :sigh:

Gonna ask if I can have them, as there too old anyways (1.1 Celerons), and come the new financial year they'l be new ones anyways... Get my Ebay on :hip:

Had an RM laptop go pop (literally) last week, my boss grabbed a random psu and plugged it in, 30 secs later it went pop and started smoking away... psu was 35a, oops :hehe:

7. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I've heard that this problem can be solved easily if you buy a docking station for your laptop. The power supply goes on the docking station and everything works fine. I hope the jack on the docking station won't go bad as well :worried:

I was also wondering if you can repair the damaged jack, anyone done this ? I still can't find a shop that sells HP jacks in EU :sigh:

8. wolff000

yes it is possible to repair the jack. it is easy to find the jacks on ebay, shipping wouldn't be too bad from across the pond considering they weigh next to nothing. It comes off pretty easy but the excess solder is a pain to get off the board.

9. wow

wow What's a Dremel?

i need help

i need hp omnibook 6000 recovery cd

10. litkid_2000

litkid_2000 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, new here.

I have an HP Omnibook 6100 and I think the power jack has packed in.

when I plug the mains in, the laptop will sometimes pick up the charge and sometimes not. I move the power jack around and then it starts to charge again, but then quickly dies. Does this sound like a damaged jack then?

I asked HP for a quote on fixing it, but they wanted £170 ($250) on a call out charge alone!

So, before I take my laptop apart, you guys reckon I have a damaged power jack?