1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop not receiving power from AC Adapter

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by OneSeventeen, 1 Feb 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

My wife's laptop doesn't react to having an AC adapter plugged in, but it can still run off of battery. (I charge her battery in my laptop and all is well, but that gets old quick.)

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

I popped it open and didn't notice anything popped or burnt, all the traces seem in tact and the capacitors are happily sitting there without so much as a bead of capci-juice running down the side.

I'm hoping to be told "oh, that problem, just shake it this way, spray some air here, and off you go", but so far HP has just been telling me it is a $400 job and I have to wait a month to get it back. :(

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse What's a Dremel?

I had asimilar problem. Not with a though
    I talked with the web shop I bought it from, and they sendt a firmware update. Havent had any problems after that.

3. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

just make sure the power adapter isn't shot or the pin has fallen out, this problem is quite common on hp laptops

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Check the ac plug on the laptop. In a lot of cases this is broken and yes will probably cost a good bit (alot of cases it means a new motherboard)...

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Is this a new laptop or an older one? After two and a half years, my laptop's AC adapter went bad. There are stress points at various points on an adapter. Go to a local retailer w/ a decent return policy and buy a universal power adapter. They usually come with a transformer, an AC plug, and another cable that goes to the computer. It should come with a variety of plugs for various laptop brands.

Buy one (I use a Targus adapter) which is capable of putting out an equal or greater power output as the one your wife has. It should say it on the adapter itself. I don't remember how I determined my laptop's power requirements. I think I took it from the battery's voltage and amperage stats.

Anyways, if this doesn't work, then you can rule out the AC adapter and figure out what to do next. But changes are that your AC adapter will fail sooner than the laptop's motherboard power plug header.

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I can't believe I didn't mention this before, but no, it is not an AC adapter issue. I've tried 3 different AC adapters, none of which work. I have taken apart the laptop and it does not have any visible issues. (no burst capacitors, no pins missing, no burnt traces, etc.)

Any more tips? I'll check for firmware updates tonight and post back.

7. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Update:
    I just updated the BIOS from v. F.08 to F.45 :eeek:

I'm still having issues, but I've noticed that if I press down on the AC Adapter where it connects to the laptop, then the laptop gets power from the adapter. (not the wire, but the hard plastic portion, so I'm guessing it is a short or something on the power recepticle thing)

Is it possible to replace this thing myself, or am I going to have to fork over the $$?

(Remember, this is a modding site, I'm willing to break out the soldering iron if someone has advice!)

8. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Sounds like either a bad jack or a bad connection in the plug. If you've allready had it open and been poking around, just touch the pins of the jack with an iron to melt and re-solidify the joints. If it is just a cracked solder joint that should fix it.

9. litkid_2000

litkid_2000 What's a Dremel?

I have an HP omnibook 6100 and having the EXACT same problem as you: when I move the connection to the laptop about it will charge, but will quickly die. I had read a bit and it seems that it could be the power jack. I'm gonna take my laptop apart and see if its knackered.

10. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Let me know what you find, and I'll post any success stories, if any.

As I mentioned before, I already took it apart, and couldn't see anything out of place.

11. litkid_2000

litkid_2000 What's a Dremel?

I took it apart and didnt notice anything out of place. The power jack was a bit wobbly though. I'm giving to a guy who is gonna have a look at it for me. I'll report on anything he finds.

12. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

i have fixed like 5 laptops with this exact problems, ranging from samsung to sonys

the problem is in the 3 pins that are connecting the ac plug to the motherboard

you need to remove the plug and remove all the old solder, and then resolder it using new solder

hope this helps

13. lelvis2

lelvis2 What's a Dremel?

My Gateway laptop doesn't receive any power from Adapter anymore. It was acting up where it would switch from power suply to battery intermittently and non-stop. It was really annoying. I soldered in a new power jack thinking that was the problem. However, that didn't fix the problem. I continued working with it with this annoying condition until it finally gave up charging the laptop altogether. Now my battery is completed discharged so I can't even start the laptop. I know if I put a charged battery it will boot because I tried it with my friends, who has the exact same laptop. I am not ready to change the motherboard, but I really wish I could fix the problem if it's within the motherboard. Has anyone gotten they're problem fixed?

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ok, here are a few things that I'd try:

• Try your friend's AC adaptor in your laptop, that'll rule out a broken connecter there.
    • Charge your battery using his laptop, that should give you some juice to work with.
    • Check the internal connecter while the adapter's plugged in, make sure power's getting to the board.
    • Check for dead capacitors, the internal power gubbins could be b0rked.

Hope that helps, and welcome to bit :)

15. lelvis2

lelvis2 What's a Dremel?

Don't know how to check for dead capacitors. Even if there are dead capacitors, how do I even fix them? And if power is not getting to the board after recently putting in a new jack, then I'm not sure how to fix motherboard problem. I saw a used motherboard for this Gateway Model for $160.00. Maybe that's my best bet. Thanks for the tips.

16. GreenApple123

GreenApple123 What's a Dremel?

laptop AC adapter

I bought a replacement laptop AC adapter about a month ago and it works great. Is there any reason to think that a replacement laptop AC adapter would be any worse than the manufacturers?

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Aug 2006
  17. GreenApple123

GreenApple123 What's a Dremel?

Hp AC adapter

any help?

18. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

As long as the voltage/amperage/polarity are the same, I don't see any reason to stick with the manufacturer. (then again, I refill my own ink)

Just a quick update, I still haven't gotten this fixed, and after spending a good two hours I could not remove the motherboard from the laptop case. The step by step instructions from a PDF manual I found on HP's website was worthless. They give instructions like "use a flathead screwdriver to remove the faceplate". After 30 minutes of struggling with a flathead screwdriver I was nowhere further and had only succeeded in scratching up my wife's laptop.

(coming from a guy who has taken apart and re-assembled a laserjet printer and various other small devices such as cell phones, calculators, and PDA's, this should have been much easier)

So I'm just going to save up and ship it off to HP and let them send me a working laptop, whether that is the original one or a refurb, as long as it works, I'll be happy.

(My wife is having to use the backup laptop which is a mac, and since the mac only talks to obscure japanese cameras, and not 2 year old american printers, she is eagerly awaiting a working PC laptop :D )

19. BaByCaKeS_323

BaByCaKeS_323 What's a Dremel?

key bord

omg i meed some one to help me fast.... i dont know what my lil sis did to my laptop i try to put the questione mark and i cant well only when i try to put it on a website it doesnt con on it just puts a little line on the bottom.... please help me ....

20. storm_technology

storm_technology What's a Dremel?

First of all, get a voltage meter and check the voltage coming out the end of the charger. In the UK it should be just under 20v.

If your getting a decent reading then your chargers not to fault, and its your DC socket. Have a look online they tend to cost around £10, fitting them however is difficult if you dont know your way around the inside of a modern day laptop.