News Nintendo comments on the Revolution

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 31 Mar 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Damn strait, Id really would like to get a xbox360 but the good games cost £50!! thats just daylight robbery! games shud be max £35 not £50! it takes the monkey because kids who are the main target audience for these machines can nowhere afford those sorts of cash, i work and i would have a hard time tryin to justify spending £50 on a game where that money can be spent elseware.

3. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

No..the games cost £50 in GAME, and if you go to GAME to buy new games then theres something wrong with you, most games in Tescos are £39.99 new (xbox 360) with some being £45. And to be honest how cheap do Nintendo intend to sell their games? Because i can't see them selling revolution games for anything less than £39.99 or possibly £34.99 which is not a great deal cheaper. So by the sound of it, for a console with a lot of power reduced..all be it made up by innovation the games should be £29.99 or even £25..companies in the industry dont have the luxury to say yes it lacks power but we make up on innovation.

As sad as it may be the revolutions lack of power compared to it's rivals WILL be a huge negative point for Nintendo, these days it is mostly all about the graphics. Although im sure the games will still look pretty great you can't simply rely on innovation to win the customer over..if they keep that attitude it will be their downfall..IMO.

Ice

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If you're spending 50 quid on xbox360 games then ya really need to start shopping around, you can pick up new releases from play.com for £40 which while not £35 is a lot closer than £50.

Also consoles like the xbox360 and ps3 aren't aimed at children, they're aimed at usually young men in their twenties with a decent amount of disposable income.

5. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Quite misleading this, on the homepage.

Matt from IGN revealed those specs yesterday and they're supposed to be from unnamed developers.

Tut tut!

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Yeah true say but that place is a refercance to how overpriced games are for the new console, the Rev will deffo have cheaper games but as ur saying that people like the "Photo-realistic" games and that why they would get the Xbox360 or the PS3 but may i remind you even tho its less powerfull the quality of games on the Rev would easilly outweigh the good games on both the PS3/Xbox360, yet the power has nuthing to do with how well the console sells also as you maybe needed to be reminded that the GC out sold it's rivals globally....yet it was less powerfull and had less features.

also Nintendo has lasted longer than any of its rivals both now and in the past. they aint going anywhere.

7. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

i wish people would stop only thinking of POWER!!!!!. that dont make a console. you need inavotive games to back the system up. and all i see on the xbox360 is POWER POWER POWER!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

GO NINTENDO!!!!!! :thumb: :D

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think thats the whole point. They're seeing that Sony and MS are going to beat them on power, Nintendo probably don't have the money to make these incredibly powerfull systems and lose $100 on each one, or if they do it'd be too much of a gamble. Instead, what they're trying, is selling fun games that are innovative, fresh, and enjoyable. Just like the Katamari loving that went on here proved, games don't require next gen ultra uber graphics to sell. If you have a good game, a fun game, then all you need are graphics that don't get in the way of that, and you're onto something good.

Yes people talk about graphics, but at the end of the day, many people want to play console games with their mates, for a laugh, and fun games that make people laugh and cry and shout and generally get all worked up and happy, are going to be far more popular then games with amazing graphics that don't.

9. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Why not? Take PC games for example, there are allot of games around atm with awesome graphics which lack decent gameplay. F.E.A.R has pants gameplay but the graphics are pretty, didn't mean that i enjoyed playing it. Its like a multi million dollar CGI film with amazing computer generated graphics but the plots about a radiator and a spoon sitting in a field, it's not really going to be that enjoyable no matter how good the graphics are. Another example - Katamari the graphics aren't that great but its something new and different, which makes it enjoyable. If thats what Nintendo means by innovation, creating a new style of gaming perhaps or maybe just releasing original titles then viva la revolution tbh.

Please oh please, someone get the ban hammer

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, it's still a minor disappointment that if I were to purchase a Revolution (which is my first choice of nex-gen consoles atm), it would barely be any faster or more powerful than my Xbox. Sure, Nintendo are seperate in a sense from Sony and Microsoft in the types of games they license for their machines, and I'm incredibly excited by the back-catologue that they're going to be making available for the Revolution. If the power was nearly as 'nex-gen' as the gameplay looks to be they might have an easier task convincing people that the games will please those who look for aesthetically enticing experiences. Still, it should be a helluva lot cheaper in that it's not a media hub but instead just a games console, and I'll look forward to its release :)

<A88>

11. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

I really want Nintendo to win this, any sane person should. Too many games come out nowadays with the review ending up saying "nice graphics, shame about the game play". Graphics will improve over time but they shouldn't be the driving force.
    When a new graphics flagship game comes along, I'm not saying that I'm not impressed, but graphics excellence shouldn't be sought after at the expense of everything else.

The sad thing is I'm not sure that they will win, and there will be no renascence of innovative games.

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Whilst I agree that the power of a console isn't as important the games, I feel a bit let down that it is only going to be 729MHz. That is a huge amount less than Sony and MS and it is barely faster than the previous console generation. It's hardly 'next gen'!!!

The innovation on the gaming front is going to need to be steller to make up for this deficit!!

13. JoJo2201

JoJo2201 What's a Dremel?

Lets go over some of the games nintendo has under its belt:

Mario 64
    Mario Kart
    Super Smash Bros
    Zelda (all of them)
    old skool mario
    Goldeneye
    Donkey Kong
    etc.

the fact that i can get those games all on one console is enough to make me buy it, you know theyll come out with more sweet part games, plus all the old school ones. me and my friends have the choice between PS2, xbox, and yet we find our selves playing my 64 the most.

would you rather look at a photo realistic tree or whoop the crap out of your friends in Smash Bros or Mario Kart?

14. Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin What's a Dremel?

To my knowledge PS2 has sold over 90 million units worldwide. I dont believe Gamecube comes close to this. It way have outsold it during periods of it's lifespan but outside Japan the gamecube has not done as well Nintendo hoped. I'm not knocking it as a console, it's a very good one and if I gamed enough to justify buying another console at this moment it would be a gamecube rather than 360. The statement on power is no real suprise and as mentioned it's pretty academic with this console. Once you've brought out a controller like that you don't need to worry about cross platform games or matching the others graphics. This console is aimed at the frequent gamer, people who are getting tired of the lack of innovation. This isn't sadly the "average" consumer. That doesn't matter though as Nintendo need to ship far less revolutions than Sony or Microsoft do as they're a much smaller comapny, it will cost much less to develop and produce and make and if it's the more hardcore gamers who latch onto it for something new and excting then they'll buy more games per unit.

The reason we're all getting locked into power is that is all we can see at the moment. Noone knows what the games will be like. Microsoft might screw up Halo, Sony might bring out a rubbish Gran Turismo and Ninty might introduces a horrible Zelda. All are extremely unlikely but it's possible. Another good reason is it is the thing that makes the big first impression. Graphics are likely what dictates the majority of console buys by casual gamers after peer pressure. Most people don't read about them, many probably don't know the other options. Oveall it doesn't matter. The market place is big enough for 3 and as Nintendo have gone down a different route to the other two 3 can easily survive. The only risk is if sales are poor of 360 that microsoft pull out as with all the money playstation makes them Sony have to make it work. All this talk of winning makes my feel a bit sad on the indside. The games market is now huge. You can afford to be the second biggest, even the third biggest and still make a decent wedge of cash as the last generation proved. It's best for us if noone wins, if theres competition to drive down prices so we can afford all 3. Copmetition is what will encourage innovative games and better version of those that are less so. I dont want anyone to win, I want all 3 to do well so I an get all 3 as they're all bound to have their great games.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
  15. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

So... Out of curiosity, why does everyone seem to be assuming that just because the Revolution's CPU isn't as fast, it's going to be way worse? My Athlon 64 4000+, at a nice calm 2.4 Ghz, beats the Intel 3.73 EE chip in gaming benchmarks. While the EE is only 50% faster than my A64 (it's not the x2, BTW), compared to the huge difference between Revolution and 360, is clock speed really everything?

16. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

After the DS and it's Electroplankton and Brain Training, I seriously doubt only games will be released on the Revolution.

The frequent gamer will get more innovative games, and as you say, non gamers still won't care, but if there is other software available besides games then they might be interested.

I think we still know incredibly little about this console :sigh:

17. Bruce the Moose

Bruce the Moose What's a Dremel?

Nintendo Revolution

I am a big fan of Nintendo, always have been. There new concept of change is interesting. The thing that is making me nervous, why do they believe the public is more interested in gaming fun, than gaming fun with smoking graphics like are on the Xbox 360 and will be on the PS3. Lets face it, in todays world its the younger crowd under 30 that are running the economy of games. Those that are still living at home ask mommy or Daddy for it and 9 times out of 10 will likely get it. Anyone can and will be be-dazzled by hot graphics, what happens when all three systems are side by side in the mall and Nintendo's - although still looking great will not be in the same league as the other two consoles. Which system do you think would be the choice - I doubt the Nintendo.
    Anyway, I am and always will be a Nintendo fan, I just want to voice my concern and hear opinions.
    :wallbash:

18. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

nintendo and sega together? I couldn't have asked for anything sweeter... except for Stefan Eriksson losing another car maby :D

19. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Yeah, all power and still nothing to show for it (and to all you Microsft fanboys I have played all the launch titles for the 360) Except for maybe PGR3, but the trees? I mean come on, it's a freaking next-gen system for crying out loud...

20. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Dothan/Yonah/Conroe vs P4 or A64
    Clockspeed isnt the important factor :)

Tags: Add Tags