1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20" widescreen monitor group test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 30 Mar 2006.

1. MrWorf

MrWorf What's a Dremel?

Whatabout the NEC DVE modes?

I'm just curious, did you test the NEC with their special DVE modes which are supposed to automatically "tweak" the contrast depending on what's on screen (much like some/most of the newer LCD projectors does).

I think it would make the display appear better at both dark and light scenes, but it would be nice to hear some reallife experience of it.

Otherwise, great head2head test, just in the right timeframe (for me atleast) aswell :D

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

w00t

im one of them :p

its definetly a good screen, infact, in this pic i took, you can see the difference between it and my Ag Neovo 19" screen
    [​IMG]

Then again the Ag Neovo screen is a budget screen :) but still very good IMO

it would be cool to loan Bit tech my 2005FPW, however i couldnt live an hour without it :sigh: (plus it would take 2 days to unwire it from my desk :p)And its not like we can review it beacause were not comparing against the other screens, so it could easilly be biased ;)

still a very good article :rock:

3. K

K 528491

Would love to see the Dell compared with the rest. Really would. Work some magic bit-tech ;)

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

another name to be added to the 'dell pull yer fingers out and send bit a screen for testing' list.

@the_jinj, the 913n is indeed a top screen for the cash.

5. Wes

Wes What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking of getting the LG L203WT, so it would be nice to see that one lined up as well. It has an 8ms response time, 1680 x 1050 res, DVI and VGA inputs, and otherwise meets all the requirements, except price. It's $500 USD, but if we're talking about spending a couple extra to get a better quality, then I'm game. LG is supposedly a good brand, I have high hopes for them.

So if anyone has any insight on this one as it compares to the rest of them, I'll be glad to hear about it.

6. truechaos99

truechaos99 What's a Dremel?

Didnt notice any mention of the Vx2025's wire management...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gives it a wonderful look, no wires poking out funny :rock:

I love my vx2025 :clap:

-Cameron

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I've been debating seriously over the past few weeks of if I should get a flat panel screen or not... Well, due to multiple reasons, I've found myself ended up with a high-quality CRT (1920x1440@70Hz, 18" diagonal, extremely good colour range/definition) rather than a flat panel. This is why I think a CRT is better (for me):

First, scaling. I'm cheap, so sue me! I've got a good system, but it's not enough to play most modern games at the resolutions required for a flat panel screen, and I don't have enough money/time to upgrade it right now.

Second, desk space. I've got gobs of it (rather large L shaped glass-topped desk), so why not use it? There is absolutely no reason for me to need a monitor that has a small foot-print.

Third, cost. To get a flat panel that would match the quality/resolution of even a cheap second-hand CRT would mean drastic amounts of money. Instead, I bought my current monitor off my father for $50, which is amazing considering how good it is.

But then again, thats just me.

8. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, for me, I use two 19" Flat Panels from Dell at work, and couldn't be happier. (2560x1024 is awsome!)

I was thinking of getting a widescreen for home use, and of course was thinking Dell. But, to be honest, I trust Bit-Tech, and without a Dell review, I think I'll hold off for a while. If a company doesn't respect the geek community, I don't respect it. (Heck, even microsoft hands out expensive software like candy on halloween for marketing purposes.)

I'd love to see a review of various multiple monitor displays, since multiple monitors bring in all sorts of new issues, such as which monitor gets priority, and how to color manage each monitor individually for accurately matching displays. (I'm sure this would have to be combined with a video-card setup review as well, IE single card with multimon out, or separate (non-bridged) cards?)

Anyway, great review, it gives a lot to think about, and makes me wonder why more manufacturers don't offer height/swivel adjustment...

oh, and, in the "deleted" voice of Strong Bad, the obligatory: "slashdotted!"

<offtopic>
    And since I want to sound clever, but my slashdot posts usually get buried, my response to a friendly slashdotter:
    That's the exact same reason I don't use Calculus, not being an Egyptian nor a Greek myself.

</offtopic>

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
  9. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i still dont feel the love for the 20" screens ... i think i would rather jump straight to 1920x1200 ...

i am quite used to my 17" (ya i know it's 4 years old and tiny by most's standards) ... and untill i can do a serious system rebuild, most games do fine at 1280x768 ...

i am however becoming intrigued by the new round of 1080p screens starting to make thier way to the market. the westinghouse 37" is just plain beautiful, albeit i am a bit biased, as i already have the 27" 720p westie.

and the 30" dell is just too much. base price of 2200$? and a 600&-800$ video card to push it? maybe if i hit the lottery. it is about time that apple had some competition on that front though. personally i think the ACD line is horribly ugly. but that's just me.

anyway, this is just more of mike's random rantings ad babblings, since i am going to have to stick with what i have for now with the wedding coming up adn the baby on the way and all ... just thought i would put in my 2cents and let yall know i was still alive and all ....

peace.

10. yahooadam

I use 19" and 20" together, making for ~ 2960x1024 (though the 20" is actually 1050 deep, and not 1024)

Very good point :)

Well most people who want multimon setups buy more then 1 of the same screen (well if u wanna use them together)

This is more of a software side thing, and not hardware

On slashdot i made this comment about this comment ;)

Last edited: 31 Mar 2006
  11. Tim S

Tim S OG

We tried to get the Dell for several weeks - I think we planned this article about 6-8 weeks ago. After numerous phone calls, broken promises and let downs, we're still waiting for their panel to show up at our office...

We can only do so much to try to get one... maybe we should have gone out and bought one - it'd be the quickest way of getting one out of them. Sucks.

12. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Yeh what I mean is, dell should be giving bit stuff to test!

You need to talk to some reps me thinks :grr:

13. cobaltpap

cobaltpap What's a Dremel?

I love my Viewsonic VX2025WM! I replaced a Samsung 915n 19in LCD, gave it to my brother. I will never go back to a non-widescreen again, EVER! LOL!
    The only thing I want more is a higher refresh rate. In Quake4 with ultra quality at 1680x1050 and v-sync on, Fraps shows me pegged at 60 fps. In display properties it says that I can choose from a refresh rate of 60 or 75, but 75 is out of range (that sucks). Oh well, I still LOVE this monitor!

14. WedgeTalon

WedgeTalon What's a Dremel?

I would have liked to see the Dell, but I also would have liked to see one of the Apple Cinemas, as I always have heard they are the best... but have not seen them actually compared next to others.

15. yahooadam

when i was reaserching for my 2005FPW there was a apple cinema 20" vs the dell 20" 2005FPW

im guessing you can google "2005FPW reviews" or somthing and find it

sorry but i dont have that much free time to dig up a review which could take an hour to find :p

but there is one :p

the tested HL2 and WoW on it i believe (well both)

the cinema display looked orite, but was much more expensive

16. YorkieBen

YorkieBen What's a Dremel?

is the acer the version with the scart connection as well?

also can you tell me if the Acer is able to scale properly - i.e. can it display 1280x1024 as 1280x1024 properly with black bars down the side as the Dells do or does it stretch it?

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Getting things from Dell is like pulling teeth...but Apple is about an order of magnitude worse. Both Bigz and I have had poor experiences recently with constant delays and broken promises with dell, on two entirely different projects.

It's a sad reality of what happens when they get too comfortable being either 'the best' or being 'the standard'...they reach a point where they're too large to care about their PR much anymore.

18. yahooadam

considering i managed to get my 2005FPW with 1 dead pixel for £355, its actually better value for money then 1/2 the screens there, well IMO

with quad inputs, a USB bus, 600:1 contrast, 300cd/m2

However it would be nice to see you compare it against these others :(

P.S. Dell is currently saving you a nice 20% off

so u can pick up one of these lovely screens direct from dell for a mere £369.19 (inc vat and shipping)

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Yep, it sure would be, wouldn't it? :sigh:

20. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I was just thinking that one of you guys probably has a 2005fpw to compare, but you would need Dell's permission, wouldn't you?

Tags: Add Tags