1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20" widescreen monitor group test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 30 Mar 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

no, and i dont think bit tech has one otherwise they wouldnt be seekign one from dell

you can review a screen if you want, dell shouldnt have to be hiding anything about its flat panels

2. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Nice review - not sure I could live with a 20" widescreen though as I would miss the height of my current monitor!!

Just wondering, if Dell wouldn't supply you with one and you knew that it was the one monitor people really want to see, why didn't you by one?

3. Beatbox

Beatbox What's a Dremel?

Nice comparison guys, hopefully should prove to be useful within the next few months. :clap:
    Also, add another request to include the Dell and/or Apple displays on the list!

Cobaltpap, the 60fps is a 'feature' of the Doom3 engine, it caps its rendering process at this in order to keep the input and physics etc. in sync with the graphics. It can be removed with console commands, but you'll need a pretty hefty rig to ensure the game experience remains smooth throughout without it.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2006
  4. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

link to the red and white background?

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Go to the Little Gamers site for a copy of the red and white wall paper :thumb:

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I have an HP 20" widescreen... I love it but it is a pain because my CS skills were killed by my now pathetic framerate when I play at native resolution. :(

7. MastershakeJB

MastershakeJB Banned

8. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

My 17" laptop does 1920x1200, why would I buy a 20" screen that does only 1680x1050? And on that line of thought, what's with 1280x1024 19" LCDs? Are you all really that blind?

9. yahooadam

how does your 17" laptop run at 1920x1200

sounds like youve set the wrong reso to me :sigh:

10. lepre

lepre Minimodder

16:10 widescreen...

11. yahooadam

my 20.1" dell widescreen is 16:10 and that runs at 1680x1050

i dont think your running your screen at the proper resolution

12. lepre

lepre Minimodder

how do you manage to set a resolution on a lcd monitor which doesn't support it? :idea:

there are some "portable" with that resolution....what's the matter?

13. yahooadam

By dragging the slider a bit further to the right :idea:

Fair enough, i thought all LCD size / reso's were the same

14. RTT

RTT #parp

The NEC model is a freaking nice screen having seen and used them for a while. My only gripe, as can be seen in this picture, is that the buttons are so loosely fitted that they hang wonky. They could not stand up to much abuse at all. This was true on both (identical) screens that we have in the office.

15. lepre

lepre Minimodder

i don't think this would happen in a "tested-till-death-for-no-incompatibilities-harware" laptop, do you?

anyway that's not the problem here...
    i think that he's right. 1280x1024 on a 19" is so bad.
    but 1920x1200 on a 17" is too much (with default char size)

i'm now on a 17" crt (something like 16 lcd?") with 1280x1024 so that's why i'm looking at 20" widescreen...i have the same height and almost same resolution (1024->1050) and i get it wider, so it's really an upgrade. i wouldn't change only to see things bigger (and i don't want that at all!), i change to get better...
    at the end 1680x1050 on a 20" seems resonably good to me, but 1280x1024 on a 19" it's not.
    yes, how can you play on a resolution higher than that?...but not everybody plays...and at least let us choose! :)

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

To me there's more to it than just pixel pitch. Why would I want 1920x1200 on a 17" screen when I can have it on a 24"? After having used a big screen, I'd rather have the physical space than the digital space. While I'm sure it looks that much crisper, you'll be paying a huge premium. Honestly given the choice, I think I'd take a 19" over a 17" LCD simply because I'd rather have a bigger screen. And not because it's easier to see, but because a larger screen is more immersive when gaming. While the pixel pitch is larger, it's not as if it's being scaled differently so it'd be blurry, it's still crisp, just not as crisp as it could be.

If TFTs scaled as well as CRTs, then yes, of course I'd take the higher res option, but when you throw gaming into the mix I'd say that a bigger screen is preferable at a given resolution. Not to the point of SDTV vs computer LCD, since that would look like crap (albeit very playable crap), but it's all HD-level resolutions. In my time with oblivion so far, I've preferred to play at 1680x1050 scaled 1:1 (blackbarred on all sides) on my 24" rather than fullscreen on my 20", simply because it's slightly bigger. It's a GPU whore like I've never seen before so I can't increase the res I'm playing at, but it's still more immersive on a bigger screen.

17. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

Hardware.no did a review on 5 20" monitors (2 regular, 3 widescreen) :
    * Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW
    * Apple Cinema Display 20
    * BenQ FP202W
    * Samsung SyncMaster 204Ts
    * NEC MultiSync LCD 2080UXi

http://www.hardware.no/tester/skjerm/femkamp_-_kjempene_motes/21568

For the few bit-techers who don`t understand norwegian: :D

The Dell has very good colours and adjustment possibilities etc. Apple`s monitor has the best picture quality of the contestants (but not perfect). The Dell also has some visible backlight in the corners, which some of the forum members isn`t very happy about. But the Dell still won the test because it`s a allround good monitor at a very reasonable price.

18. YorkieBen

YorkieBen What's a Dremel?

could the reviewer answer these 2 questions? esp the second one please? It would be very helpful :)

19. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Use DVI and set your scaling options in your driver settings.

20. Lionheart

Lionheart What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to buy a new monitor although i don't know too much about them. possibly either 2 19". what specs should i be looking for, for a really decent one? Also if i was to buy a 32" hdtv would that be just as good? :S

Tags: Add Tags