1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst computer experience

Discussion in 'General' started by OminousDoom, 12 Jan 2003.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I am in a pickle now,

Upgraded to SP2, can't access the security centre, and it has blocked most of my ports, can't use torrents, can't use ftp.

I want to reformat, and have backed everything up, but the computer is not picking up the dvd-drive properly, it can see "Cd-Rom" reader in the bios, but won't boot from my install disc.

Grrr

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I wish you all the best in your new comp :)

Just a thought but perhaps consider waiting if your going to buy a top spec pc, conroe is around the corner so worth thinking about, just a thought though :)

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Worst problem with any computer is the internet connection with this comp at the moment, replaced modem, reinstalled OS, refomrated whatever, reinstalled anything that caused a problem to the internet.

Still get no lag in server (ping wise) yet I get lots of "choke" and "loss" in CS constantly and in Battlefield 2 always lag out with the msg "Connection Problem". WTF IS WRONG! I can't play any games any more because of this **** problem.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Hong Kong internet sucks maybe?

j/k

Could be because alot of people are on the line?

I think ping requests and actual data is on different layers.

5. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Just take some deep breaths, have a few beers, after doing that you will be calmer and probably wont care about it anymore.

I havent had any real problems since the pentium 2 got retired (and kicked down the stairs). The first computer my parents paid for, apple 2gs, was a pain but not nearly as much as their pentium 1. Thats when I mastered formatting and reinstalling win 95, it turned out to be a bad HD and mobo but we forced the company to refund us for it and then moved up to the wonderful world of pentium 2. That computer made a name for itself by being unstable and it created a strong hate for integrated graphics and made me into an AMD person. Since then I havent had any real problems... Yet.

6. TMM

TMM Modder

Computer crashing, bad hdd corruption etc. Reinstalled XP 3 times, same problem. Replaced HDD with a brand new one - installed XP same problem. Put the old HDD back in, same prob. Turns out it was some dodgy USB ports that i needed to disable :confused:

7. Canadian_minx

Canadian_minx What's a Dremel?

My most recent horror:

I have a Gateway M305 which is quickly becoming famous for the absolutely crap headsinks in them. The first time I fried my pc due to massive amounts of Doom 3 which caused the laptop to extremely over heat at the smallest thing. Even running to many msn windows, playing an mp3 file or even reading Ctrl+Alt+Del would cause this over-priced paper wieght to over heat in seconds.

It got shipped in to the techies to see what was the matter. First they said the motherboard was fried, then they said possibly the headsink then it was back to the motherboard. After about seven weeks of that all-so-lovely bs we threatened to report them to the better business council of Ontario. That got me my lovely baby back within a week.

Then about four months later, well after the implied warrenty was up it went back to over heating. Now because the ways it heats up are different I think they fixed one of two problems of the over heating. We've got a Antec notebook cooling fan sitting pleasently beneath my pc which cools it down about 80% of the time. Some games seem to trigger it but thankfully my beloved Settlers 3 plays on it fine as does Diablo (one) and Emperor. Just not any of the more graphic heavy games.

Lesson of the day: Never buy Gateway, even if it's $600 (Canadian) cheaper then any other model out there.

OH! I've another horror.

Some how this nasty little spyware program has latched onto my laptop. After a day of running it freezes up my pc resulting in long restarts (one took ten minutes to reboot windows...in SAFEMODE!) . That results in me spending two hours in safe mode running the cleaning applications of Tuneup Utilities 2006, NOD32 and Ad-Aware. Not one of the programs seem able to catch the bugger either.

Last edited: 2 May 2006
  8. RaGzY

RaGzY What's a Dremel?

has anyone actually beaten my worst computer experience??

edit:

please dont... :D

Last edited: 2 May 2006
  9. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I have, but I'm not going to take the wind out of your sails.

10. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

had an msi mobo which was perfectly set up and the psu was good but fried cpu's for the hell of it. (luckily it only took the like of 2 cheap durons)

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I had one at one of my places of work

I was building a set of 20 computers for a customer and I was called in because a graphics card (literally) blew up.

I checked the PSU and stuff, couldn't see anything. My manager (at the time) told me to sticka new card in and test it.

It did exactly the same thing.

So i stripped the computer down.
    found a *tiny* piece of unsoldered solder had been dropped into the case somehow, gone to the back of the motherboard on the AGP slot, shorted about 4 pins. Which killed everything.

I was exceedingly pissed off.

12. RaGzY

RaGzY What's a Dremel?

WHOA...sounds really annoying.

Got to ask this nooby question. firstly, did all 20 computers card because of a grpahics card. if so how.

secondly could you explain how a tiny piece of solder killed everything, and what is everything.

thirdly, did you have to strip all 20 computers?!

and lastly apologies for having to explain to me....not allknowing about computers , trying to though...

cheers

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Solder is conductive, when it shorted the contacts together voltages and signals that should be present in some locations but not others are in the wrong places, the resulting short would have overloaded components that are, if I understand his post correctly, crucial to the operation of the computer. Therefore, in your words, the computer was killed.

14. MovieFreak

MovieFreak What's a Dremel?

A former co-worker commissioned me to build him an integrated computer for his living room. Using his PlasmaTV as a monitor, he was able to do all kinds of fun stuff.

Two days later he makes an appointment to get the panel wall-mounted, instead of using the stand. The idiot who came to install it just popped the mounts into the plaster, without even bothering to check to see where the frame in the wall was.

They put the panel on the mount once it's attached to the wall.

60 inch plasma panels have a good amount of weight, that thing fell so hard...........

Right on top of the computer I had just built.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

1. Just one of the computers had the prob. It was the motherboard that was damaged, we removed it from the system and sent it to head office for full testing

2. check previous answer

3. I didn't have to strip all of them, but I did, the customer was a good friend of mine and he knows that I don't like to let things slip.

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I remember my worst computer experience...

...I installed Windows ME :D

17. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Quite recently, the fan in the psu of a server at work ground to a halt.

We swapped out the psu and tried it in another machine, seemed fine, so I used it for testing stuff.

Bad idea, it killed two really nice SCSI drives :(

18. 13en

13en Minimodder

I had a really nasty moment when i was installing watercooling in my rig. I was trying to pop off the chipset hsf on my A8n SLi when the pliers i was using to squeeze the little tabs slipped and gouged a (seemingly) huge scratch on the bottom of the mobo. :eeek: :worried:
    But I've got to hand it to ASUS, they make some rock hard motherboards - plugged everything in, booted up, been running fine ever since :clap:

19. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

One of my sticks of Corsair XMS memory went bad, (bit reccomened memory infact) I spent many many days trying to figure out what the problem was. It was hard to figure out what the cause was because I have top shelf parts. Plus it was in MCE2005 which can be a pita anyway.