1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a swiss army uh.. tool, a "knife"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 31 May 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think it's perfectly normal for people who work in IT to do so. I have to wonder if that reason has ever been tested on a copper. I mean, I doubt most policemen would believe that IT people have a use for a SAK or leatherman, but they do seem almost ubiquitous among the guys I know.

I wonder how many IT personal have been charged with stabbings in the last year :eyebrow:

Secondly, I wonder how many weegee's have been charged with having a go at people with bread knives(since that is aparently one of the most favoured weapons in Glasgow these days).

Stupid government, stupid country, stupid people.

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

i have a little sak too. never bother taking it on flights as i don't want it confiscated.
    i once was detained by local police when i was working at a bank. me and a coworker were hanging out in the parking lot after locking up and a patrol car rolls up (turns out someone else in the main building didn't set the alarm properly...). we both got frisked, and i had a 3.5" locking blade knife on me. the officer was more than a little curious as to why i had a weapon. i explained that it was a tool, not a weapon as i used it to cut the seals off bags of coin, open boxes, cut straps on the bales of cash, etc., and not to inflict harm. they were satisfied with my explanation, and returned my knife (and cautioned us not to hang out in the parking lot). most cops i have run into in similar situations, are fairly lenient if you explain it that way (and this was with a a decent folder. a little sak should be easier to prove harmless).

3. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

aslong as you don't carry knives to bars/party/public events I think it would be fine.
    + if you want to kill someone you don't bring a multi-tool but more something along the lines of a rambo/commande knive.

If you explain it on a normal/friendly tone I don't think they will take it from you.
    Let's be honest are you really supriced that they don't let you bring a knive/pointy on airplane after 9/11.

GreetZ
    Nick

4. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

IANAL, but:

So a lock knife is fine if you have a reason, IE, you're an electrician/gardener/ or someone whose job would benefit from the safety of a locking knife. (and can convince a police officer and - perhaps, if it gets that far - a magistrate.)

It's also worth mentioning that the law (Harris v DPP, mentioned above) considers lock knives to be fixed blades. (And thus, to be carried only with a good reason.)

Also, you can be nicked for carrying a ***" slipjoint if a coppr thinks you're going to stab someone with it. In fact, you could be nicked for carrying a giant marshmellow with intent, as the law does not actually define what an offensive weapon is.

Quotes are nicked from here.

- H.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2006
  5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

is there a multi tool out there without a blade on it? all the leatherman and swiss army knives and the other clones all seem to have a blade even if tiny and useless?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Occasionally you can find ones where you can remove all the tools, I had one and simply took the useless things out of it and replaced them with washers.

7. logan

logan flashback!

Which are far more useful. :D

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I know this is a UK thing, but what's the big deal with locking knives? I used to carry a 3 1/2" lockback knife (Gerber E-Z out) as my deck knife when I worked on the boats and I've only had trouble about it once, and that was at the airport. And yes, I still have it, just had to send it in my checked luggage. TBH, I wouldn't want to carry a non-locking knife, at least not as a deck knife.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

"but what's the big deal with locking knives?"

Well, if you were to stab someone with a locking knife upwards, it'll just go into his/her ribs, and probabily kill them.
    If you stab them with a non-locking knife, then the most it'll probabily do is cut the skin before folding.

And, locking/single bladed knifes are usually a lot bigger than non-locking knifes (I've yet to see a 10" blade on a Leatherman) and it's usually harder to convince the police that you need it for genuine work (People don't use huge knifes for electrical work).

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That's basically it, although I have seen a 154CM blade on a leatherman :D (Herbicide gets it ;))

The locking thing was after a lawyer managed to prove that a locking knife makes it essentially a fixed blade and hence illegal to carry without good reason.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's understandable though CT. My brother will buy a fairly sturdy knife(just joined merchant navy), almost certainly one with a fixed or locking blade, he just won't carry it to a nightclub or when he goes out for a pint. So long as you've got a serious reason to carry something like that, the Polizei should be fine about it over here.

12. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

My keyring is a small victorinox knife (2 blades, screw drivers and a corkscrew), and I've not had any bother due to it, though I don't really wave it around in public. I usually remove it when going out on the sauce, due to impromptu searches, and me not wanting to lose it.

13. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

i carry around a locking knife with a 4.5 in blade. Anything smaller is useless, imo.

My knife isnt very good for attacking people anyways since it is serrated. If i was planning on cutting up a body it would be handy, but as for attacking or fighting people non-serrated blades are much better.