1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrist tattoo

Discussion in 'General' started by ajack, 14 Jun 2006.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I know, I know, won't be so "in your face" :D

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If you are worried about getting a job with the tattoo. Then get it on a place that's not visible if you are wearing a shirt.

And I know you're probably sick of hearing it, but waiting a bit longer, isn't such a terrible idea, especially on a place like your wrist.

Good luck,
    L

3. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Wanting a full sleeve, I've had the visible tattoo dilemma for a while now. It basically depends on the employer and you're never going to know that until you're working there. For example, I've always imagined my place to be quite conservative, however my current piece extends down to my elbow and I wear polo shirts to work, it's visible but not too much.. they don't seem to mind. However, I'm sure they'd go ape if I had a sleeve.

Basically, have it done if you're prepared to wear long sleeve shirts your entire working life and if you find that your employer doesn't mind then bonus.

In terms of keeping clean, yes everyone has different advice. K mentioned Prep H (which a friend of mine uses) yet I've seen people say it's actually really bad for the tattoo, so go figure. I'm not going to judge anyone for it if it works for them.

Personally I keep it covered with the film the tattooist puts on it for a few hours. Then *gently* clean it up, use Bepanthen (Nappy Rash Cream) for a couple of days and then switch to an unperfumed moisturiser and that's it.

Don't re-cover it as you want air and natural healing to work on it as much as possible. The main thing outside of leaving it alone is to try to stop hard scabs forming in order that they don't pull the colour out with them, hence the moisturiser (and ffs, don't pick them).

Until it's fully healed, don't get it wet, don't get it in the sun (and when you do, put SPF50 on it).

That's pretty much it, it's a doddle :)

4. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

dont ever use preperation h i tried this one once and not only did it constantly sting all the tattooists laughed at me when i mentioned it

5. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Speaking from experience:)

I got a small tattoo on my wrist about 27 years ago and regretted it real bad about six weeks after getting it and always wore a watch over it but decided a couple of years ago to get it off at Laserase which is a lot more expensive and hurts a lot more than getting one on.

I've been 9 times now (once every 3 months) at £50 a time so i'm 450 quid down with still a few more sessions to go.

And if your in any doubt about how much it hurts getting it off take a look at how much it was swollen in the second picture and it also destroys the skin pigment so doesn't tan in the sun like normal skin.

Having said that, i still love tattoos and have a full arm and leg sleeve or should that be sock:) but i can cover them when needed.

My advice is the same as specofdust and others, a tattoo is for life not just for xmas and make sure you can cover it up as you never know when you might need to.

pic1
    pic2
    pic3

6. heelan

heelan bow tie enthusiast

Bepanthen is good, nice and soothing, and I think it's supposed to help stop the germs getting in so you can leave it uncovered and let it breathe a bit.

7. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

i heard that there was some type of tattoo that will only last for a while, aka its not permament. It stays longer than henna and its an actual ink. Anyone know if that is actually true or if it does the name of it? I think they last a while, either it was half a year or a couple years. Im not sure, but any info would be appreciated

As for a tattoo on the wrist. Ive ben wanting one too, a simple thick colored line on the bottom of my wrist actually. I agree however with the fact that many employers would disagree. But it depends on what design i suppose.

8. Strategy

Strategy Banned

I think some tattoo's look great.. on other people. Most (99.9%) just look cheap and tacky, it's not something I'd do. Why brand yourself with a VDM?

9. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

What's a VDM?

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

VDM is Vienna Development Method or Virtual Dos Machine, quite why you'd brand yourself with one is beyond me.

But hey, if you wanna show ur techie prowess, stick a command-prompt on yourself!

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I'm kinda of an opinion that if you want it bad enough then just get it, but I must admit that most of the stuff I want done, will undoubtably jeapodise my future standing with any employers... but I'm not really of a place in my mind at the moment where I envisage working for a corp at all...

My general feeling is... do what you want, just don't moan about it afterwards!

12. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Visual Distinguishing Mark I believe.
    (tattoos) prominent scars, moles, birthmarks and the like.

- H.

13. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I'd like to have some tatto art done on my underarms, BUT I'm thinking of joining the Army and I read that underarms are a no go area if you want to join a service...on the other hand I saw lots of pics were soldiers have tatoos in that exact spot can anybody explain please?

14. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

From what I recall hearing (as in - this may not be accurate at all, but it's what I've read), the army/navy/etc. have recently made visible mods unacceptable (including piercings, tattoos and even once a split tongue). However, they have "grandfathered" some people under these new rules. Basically - people who were already in the army with tattoos could keep them, but new recruits could not have them, nor were the "grandfathered" members allowed to obtain any additional tattoos (piercings I believe had to be removed and if they closed up, fine; if not, also fine).

Like I said, that's all word-of-mouth(internet) so I'd try to read up on more reliable sources..... don't just take my word for it :)

15. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Well this made me laugh, as the underarms to me, are the armpits ;) But I guess you mean the underside of the forearms.

I can't speak for Germany, but I applied to join the Royal Air Force, and the rule was tattoos are fine, so long as they aren't on the face, neck, or hands.

16. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Forearm is the what I ment sry...my mistake :blush: :hehe: