1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft wants robots to run Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

oh lord, you can see it now
    "this robot has performed an illegal error and will be shut down" but anyway, i guess its a practical step for microsoft, whether it will work or not though ...

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This will last until the first robot virus hits and your personal robot steals your bank account info and runs off the Rio with your wife.

Cynical bunch aren't we?

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Just imagine the reaction if your robot discovered you were running a "borrowed" copy of windows! :jawdrop:
    Picked up by the collar and marched to the nearest police station!! :eek:

5. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

THE APOCOLYPSE IS NIGH!!!!!

I've actually been working on an idea for an online comic/manga for a while that goes something like this:

WindowsVista is Skynet. Tux the uber-buff penguin travels back in time to stop vista from taking over all comps after it becomes self aware. VistaNet decides that humans are not capable of using audio/visual media without becoming criminals(pirates) so all art, media, etc is banned and open source programmers are hunted down and killed by dell-built T-100 units. I dont know if ill ever get the comic going but just picturing it makes me laugh.

so this article feels kinda creepy to me....

the end is nigh!The End Is Nigh!!!THE END IS NIGH!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!! THEENDISNIGH!!!!!!!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ LOL :hehe:

What I think will happen is that in fact, we will get a superiorly capable robot with super-human strength, speed and intelligence. It will be rational, caring, free of the human foibles and failings that we have. It will be noble and graceful, in its actions, how like an angel; in its apprehension, how like a god.

Except it will not do anything at all except just stand there. Because every time you give it a command, say, open a beer bottle, it will ask: "Are you sure you want me to open that beer bottle?"
    - "Yes."
    - "Are you really sure?"
    - "Yes!"
    - "This action may be potentially unsafe and lead to alcohol addiction. Please click this link to microsoft Help to learn what the dangers may be if you give this command".
    - "DO IT already!"
    - "Are you really, really sure?"
    - "YES!!!"
    - "It looks like you are trying to drink beer. Would you like the Microsoft Assistant to help you with that?"
    - "NO!!!"
    - "Are you sure?"...

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

^^^ LOOOOL
    How true!

-ed out

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

humm.....what would be the efects of a blue screen on a robot? hum....the end is nigh!!!!!the end is nigh!!!!!!!!!!OMGOMGOMGTHEENDISNIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

I work on robotics and this has happened before. MS created an OS for microcontrollers/micro systems a few years back based off NT. It was big, scary, and slow. Plus, there isn;t really a standardized control scheme that works well enough yet (except PWM, which is slow) to justify standardizing everything. Also, from what I've seen, this windows move is more of a simulator.

10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Hmm, anyone else remember the movie iRobot? I think the "blue screen of death" is about to take a whole new meaning.

But seriously, I don't think a standard system for a robot would be a good idea. The electronics in a robot are not likely to be anywhere near as standardized as PC hardware.

L J

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Why not? Standardisation is good... It unhooks you from a certain brand. For example, if you are running a Siemens PLC, you have to stick with Siemens or else it just won't work anymore (unless you do a near total reinstall of hard and software). Now, if there was a unified system, an other company could be releasing a newer, better firmware and you could just update. For me, that is better...

It's like stating that you are in favour of PCI(e) cards that either work on AMD or Intel motherboards, not on both...

And a standard is allways good for a pricedrop too...

12. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Totally agree with glider on this one. Look at Intel and AMD processors, for example. How good would it be if you could ditch your old Intel processor and replace it with an AMD without having to change anything else? (or vice-versa) I know it's not going to happen (at least not soon) but it just illustrates that standardization is good for the consumer.

-ed out

13. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

:wallbash: because I don't believe the inital designs for robots will be using standard parts at all. Maybe years later, but not at first.

Also, look at laptops. They have strict power, size, wieght, and heat requirements- I believe robots shall also have strict requirements in these areas, probbably even more strict.

L J

Tags: Add Tags