1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Blu-ray player delayed again, part 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

October 25? That's my birthday! If they push this back again When they push this back again, can they take my birthday with it? :D

Kind of looks like Sony is putting all their eggs in the PS3 basket.

3. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

errr....
    okay this is getting rediculous. u would think they would want to get bluray out there as soon as possible. many people will just get the (somewhat)cheaper ps3, but a/v philes still will want a high end br player. of course the samsung is already out and others are coming but sony you would think would want to lead the way. but i really don't care tbh; sony is tehrootkit3vil and i want my benq bluray writer for under two hundred bucks. htpc is the future. and wii is the only console that looks like it will have originality.

4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i cant help but feel sony may really screw this one up for themselves.

Yeh it seems they are putting every egg into one basket...the ps3

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

man how many deadlines are sony going to push back, this is only going to be worse for BD adoption

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Why don't they just give up now? I wonder which will be the bigger flop: the PisS3 or the Bull-RAY. Personally I wouldn't use either even if they gave them away for free.

-ed out

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hmm....betamax blueray :p would not buy one even if i had the money and it was out. i hope samsung steals all of the sales of sonys hands :D

8. yahooadam

BD is very tempting IMO, 50gb storage space, would be excellent for backups
    I have nothing against sony succeding, but i guess its a shame sony made it, the bad decisions theyve made recently leave a bad taste in my mouth

9. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

No surpise here then, I am a supporter of Blu Ray and believe the greater storage capacity of the disk will make it the next must-hace format and be universal. But with delay after delay, the PS3 being a expensive "blu-ray" played, and a cheap one at that if you listen to Sony execs then, maybe not and it'll be confined to the annuals of histroy for being a format that was lost because of the stupiddity of its publishers...

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I agree with oily_lewis. The problem isn't BD itself, it's Sony. There's nothing wrong with the format, if anything it seems superior. However, it will probably fail only because of the way sony are going about it. IMHO

-ed out

11. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

I don't think the late start will make much difference to the eventual outcome. Not very many people are buying yet, and I think that it will be at least two years, if not more before we know who has one this format war. Most people (i.e. non techies) are not desperate to change their DVD players - a fair few haven't even worked out how to use them yet (my parents/grandparents as most immediate example).

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Really?? HD-players are being sold as quickly as they churn them out, nearly every major store has a waiting list for them.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I think konsta makes a good point. How many people (non-techies) actually hav + use dvd burners. Many people still use CDs without much trouble. While the new generation of digital media will certainly have its uses in the movie and game industries, for most home users DVDs are more than adequate.

-ed out

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I still primairly use CDs, I've burnt a total of 2 DVDs- the discs are expensive, and I really don't need to archive anything.

So long as Sony releases blu-ray before DNF, I'll be happy. I mean a lot of products are not released on time, like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. The success of Doom 3 is kinda marginal, but it was destined to sell even if it was horrible 'cause of it's name and it came from ID. On the other hand, Half-Life 2 was a great success.

In my opinion, Blu-Ray does seem like the more advanced technology and I really hope it wins the war. I think that if Blu-Ray is released after HD-DVD it could actually be benifical in the sense that it might take time to develop the market for any new technology- and when average Joe consumer looks at two new technologies- one is a little newer and more advanced, I think Joe will be more likely to buy the newer more advanced. Could be entierly wrong, but I don't think that the period of time between the release of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will really hurt Blu-Ray.

The PS3- call me a fanboy but I abesolutely love the idea of the PS3. If rumors are true that the PS3 will have more power than the other consoles, and it will also be a blu-ray player, than personally, I can justify it's pricetag.

L J

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

While it's not *quite* as portable, the $1000 for a BD burner plus probably $35+ per disc (and probably just single layer at that) can get you a good two terabytes of storage in hard drive form. Which is much faster and insanely more compatible. Seeing that burned media doesn't last indefinitely, and not even as long as hard drives do (generally speaking, I've read that in prime conditions, burned media is lucky to last five years - unplug a hard drive now and it'll still work fine ten years down the road), it shouldn't be at all considere a replacement.

Now I go through blank media - genearlly DVDs now - at insane rates. It comes with working at a video store, but that doesn't change the fact. When I watch movies, I prefer them transcoded to Xvid and played off the hard drive. No finding and swapping discs, and it's much easier to use ffdshow to upscale the content however I choose (as far as I know, no free DVD-capable software does this... even though VLC can handle DVDs and use ffdshow, it doesn't seem to use external settings). I can pick up a 320GB drive for about $115 shipped and fit around a hundred transcoded movies on there. I almost never use blank media for backups or transporting stuff, and considering how cheap hard drives are becoming, I figure it's basically a non-issue for storage. Both formats offer 1080p video, but HD-DVD is cheaper (the only players out only support 1080i, but every movie I checked actually contains 1080p). And not marginally cheaper, but considerably so - and that's really all that matters. It having less restrictive DRM is just a bonus.

16. yahooadam

if you buy early, you deserve to pay stupid amounts
    Also i didnt know they had even mentioned a BD burner yet ...
    like DVD burners, they were very pricey at first, but the price did drop rapidly over time, and the same with the media (you can easilly pick up 10p dvd's now, although cd's are like 2p cos DVD is alot better ..)

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I was under the impression that the PS3 is less powerful than other consoles!? As for the BD player, if the PS2's DVD is anything to go by, it won't be any good. I personally think that chrging me for something I don't want/need is anything but good value.

As for burners:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/06/23/Toshiba_announces_HD-DVD_recorder/

HD-DVD PVR is in the works.

-ed out

18. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I have abesolutely no trouble with the DVD drive on my version 4 PS2, it's seen some rough usage but it's held up. I don't know if perhaps by the time they got to version 4 the DVD problems were all fixed or maybe I am just lucky.

I still like the Ps3 for the fact that it will be a very powerful console and a BD player. :) So it's a little expensive for a console, but it's a deal for a BD player.

L J

19. yahooadam

the version 4's and 7's are pretty wel reccomended (7 is the best) i tihnk v1's are also ok, but their built like a tank so its hard as hell to chip them

20. Regulator

Regulator What's a Dremel?

I would love nothing more than to have 50gb disc's to back up my movies and such, (or even better flash drives that don't get destroyed by scratches!!),
    but Sony is just a cheap company! Cheap/crappy product service, cheap PR promises, and cheap corporate morals.

Obviously I am baised against Sony. I have had to many ill encouters with thier warrenty departments. My sony MP3 discman whops ass, but thats the only product I have been happy with in the last 5 years. And everything latley has been unoriginal, uninspireing, or straight up copies of other products, i.e. Wii-mote, not forgeting the 3vilrootkit CD's... IMHO...

Sony - Shiting On Naive Yuppies

Tags: Add Tags